Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Failed test 3x-should I change test area

• 11-11-2019 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Failed my test 3rd time! The same area. In Limerick Castlemungret. It really frustrates me and I lost all my confidence. I applied again for the 4th on the same area. It is the only area I am familiar with. A lot of people say to change a different test centre. First test I had 4 Grade 2 in moving off which total my grade 2 to 13. Second, I have a grade 3 in right of way in the roundabouts. And third (very unlucky) I went into the pavement a bit reversing in a turnabout. Really feel helpless now. When I was driving with my sponsor it was all okay. And in the test I just feel nervous and my mind just overthinks and couldn’t focus.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Are you taking lessons or just driving with your sponsor?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Piguana

LorelaiG wrote: »
    Are you taking lessons or just driving with your sponsor?

Finished with my EDT lessons last May.

Piguana wrote: »

I'd recommend more lessons so

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

If you finished your driving lessons 6 months ago and have failed the test 3 times since your current approach isn’t working. You need to go back to your ADI who will help you fix the bad habits. Sponsors are all well and good but there’s nothing like professional help. Practice what your ADI advises, between lessons with your sponsor.

My advice is not to budget for a lesson or 2 but for 4 or 5 lessons over the course of a few weeks to give you time to work on the good habits, while spreading the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Changing the area will not help....there will be roundabouts everywhere....up your driving skills is the way forward

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

OP, according to RSA statistics, Limerick had a pass rate of 56.81 percent in 2018, which is above the national average of 52.49 percent.

By the sounds of things, the errors that caused you to fail had nothing to do with the test centre, so I don't know that changing test centres would benefit you — in fact, you'd probably be more likely to fail starting from scratch on less familiar roads.

As others have said, you probably need to work with an ADI some more. Also, practice, practice, practice. I know it's dispiriting to fail your test three times, but you'll get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Kk333

Yes change the test area. Failed twice in Clonmel it has a 43% pass rate and the testers are asses. Your told that by the instructors. Did two lessons in Waterford which has a 55% pass rate. Did the test in the rain with zero visibility and passed no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Just my 2c worth. I did my test in Castlemungret in 2015 in an artic despite living in Cork. It was literally Christmas week with pedestrians and traffic far far heavier then usual as you’d expect for Christmas, anyway, it went on for a full hour in various conditions with some roads I wasn’t familiar with, not that I was very familiar with Limerick in the first place. I passed the test on the first attempt with 3 grade 2’s in total I did 4 lessons and studied the test route like hell in my car. The only area I couldn’t study was the reversing compound as that was in the test centre. I wish you the best of luck going forward OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭championc

You should consider changing area, if only to be more comfortable with driving on totally different roads. It annoys me seeing instructors teaching people pre-known Test routes. You can either drive or you can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭caldew

In my experience very few people pass the test by only taking the basic 12 EDT lessons. I know there are exceptions but not many.

Go back to your instructor and when he/she tells you that you are ready that is when you should apply for the test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 PeterByrne1987

Failed my test 3rd time! The same area. In Limerick Castlemungret. It really frustrates me and I lost all my confidence. I applied again for the 4th on the same area. It is the only area I am familiar with. A lot of people say to change a different test centre. First test I had 4 Grade 2 in moving off which total my grade 2 to 13. Second, I have a grade 3 in right of way in the roundabouts. And third (very unlucky) I went into the pavement a bit reversing in a turnabout. Really feel helpless now. When I was driving with my sponsor it was all okay. And in the test I just feel nervous and my mind just overthinks and couldn’t focus.
    I too failed my driving test 2 times back in the day and what I learned is Driving in general and particularly driving tests are all about confidence. Nerves eat away your confidence and cause you to make mistakes. If you know you're going to get nervous during the test prepare for them. When you're sitting in the waiting room or at any part in taking your test say or repeat to yourself in your head " **** off nerves, I have confidence to drive this car " and then believe it. Fake it til you make it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

I too failed my driving test 2 times back in the day and what I learned is Driving in general and particularly driving tests are all about confidence. Nerves eat away your confidence and cause you to make mistakes. If you know you're going to get nervous during the test prepare for them. When you're sitting in the waiting room or at any part in taking your test say or repeat to yourself in your head " **** off nerves, I have confidence to drive this car " and the believe it. Fake it til you make it

Most of what you said is pretty much correct, i switch off during all my tests from the point of view i just got on with it, did what i had to do and be judged on it. Not speaking to the tester unless absolutely necessary is another one, i only ever asked once, i was in the wrong lane outside UHL and had to ask for clarification. Another people have done to calm their nerves is have the radio on, again a big no no. The testers aren't there to make you feel nervous despite all the stories.

I too failed my driving test 2 times back in the day and what I learned is Driving in general and particularly driving tests are all about confidence. Nerves eat away your confidence and cause you to make mistakes. If you know you're going to get nervous during the test prepare for them. When you're sitting in the waiting room or at any part in taking your test say or repeat to yourself in your head " **** off nerves, I have confidence to drive this car " and then believe it. Fake it til you make it

The driving test is no different from any other. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. It’s that simple.
    People study and prepare well for their Leaving Cert. The driving test and driving in general should be prepared every bit as hard if not more given the gravity of the consequences if you fail to control the car correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Kk333

The driving test is no different from any other. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. It’s that simple.
    People study and prepare well for their Leaving Cert. The driving test and driving in general should be prepared every bit as hard if not more given the gravity of the consequences if you fail to control the car correctly.

50% don't fail the leaving cert or any other test I can think of. So its completely different to any test ull do. When you didn't have to do 12 EDT lessons to sit the test the pass rate was higher. The statistics point to a much bigger problem then people failing to prepare.

Kk333 wrote: »
    50% don't fail the leaving cert or any other test I can think of. So its completely different to any test ull do. When you didn't have to do 12 EDT lessons to sit the test the pass rate was higher. The statistics point to a much bigger problem then people failing to prepare.

Yet I’m still getting pupils come to me who’ve done very little or no test preparation, other than their 12 EDT lessons which are not designed to have you test ready, having failed 2 or 3 tests. If a pupil of mine isn’t test ready, I advise they don’t sit the test. Almost all listen to this advice and then go on to pass 1st time.
    The woman earlier in the year who failed 17 tests (17th test had 17 clutch faults) with the 18 booked for 2 weeks time. Without seeing her drive I told her to cancel as there was nothing I could do to help in in the time period. 3 months later, approximately 10 hrs of lessons and a lot of private practice she passes with 3 Grade 2s and no clutch faults.
    You have to prepare. Nerves can be a factor but if you’re good enough you should be able to overcome them and deal with most eventualities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Yes change the test area. Failed twice in Clonmel it has a 43% pass rate and the testers are asses. Your told that by the instructors. Did two lessons in Waterford which has a 55% pass rate. Did the test in the rain with zero visibility and passed no problem.

So you failed the test twice, went and got more lessons and then passed.

I doubt the location had anything to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Its a money racket

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How many times did you fail the test since you finished your lessons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

Go do more lessons OP and learn how to drive,if you cant pass an Irish driving test there is no hope.Irish drivers are the worst drivers Ive experienced in all of Europe,except maybe Birmingham in the UK,everywhere else in the UK is leagues ahead of Ireland and on the continent its lower standard than the UK(bar Birmingham) but still way beyond Ireland.
    This typical Irish bollox of cutting corners to get the result means the standard of drivers on our roads is absolutley shocking.

Dont get more lessons to pass a test,get more lessons to become a better driver!!!

Edit:Instead of changing test areas maybe change to a better driving instructor.

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Its a money racket

Testers fault. A dogs fault. A car pulled out so that drivers fault. A money racket.

The common excuses of the serial failer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Testers fault. A dogs fault. A car pulled out so that drivers fault. A money racket.

Agreed. I knew the reasons when I failed the driving test. Were they avoidable? Possibly, but unless you learn from your mistakes, you'll continue to make mistakes.

the_syco wrote: »
    How many times did you fail the test since you finished your lessons?

4th time now😭😭

Failed again on my 4th try guys. Again grade 3. Nerves is a big factor for me. I dont feel nervous at all the night before. Only when i go to the test centre. And when it starts as well. I usually book the test straight ahead. But now i am thinking of just practicing more. Its a waste of 85€.

Failed again on my 4th try guys. Again grade 3. Nerves is a big factor for me. I dont feel nervous at all the night before. Only when i go to the test centre. And when it starts as well. I usually book the test straight ahead. But now i am thinking of just practicing more. Its a waste of 85€.

What was the grade 3 for? How many grade 2's?

Did you do any more lessons in between this test and the last one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

How many lessons + how much practice did you get between the 3rd and 4th test?

LorelaiG wrote: »
    What was the grade 3 for? How many grade 2's?

Did you do any more lessons in between this test and the last one?

No lessons really. I went out of the country for a month. And applied the test before i was out. Wasnt checking my email to find out i had test the day after i arrived. My bad i thought it would be a lot later. So no practice done at all. Had 4 grade 2’s. And grade 3 for traffic controls. A mistake i never make during practice but somehow during the exam it happened😭

How many lessons + how much practice did you get between the 3rd and 4th test?

Thats the thing. Didnt get to practice. So lesson learned. Gonna do few lessons before i book the next one. And honestly still not confident. And failing tests a lot didnt help as well.

the_syco wrote: »
    Agreed. I knew the reasons when I failed the driving test. Were they avoidable? Possibly, but unless you learn from your mistakes, you'll continue to make mistakes.

Thats my thing. I do learn from the failed tests. But i think im gonna make all grade 3’s possible first before i pass😭🀣

True. I know I failed 4x now but I admit and I know what I failed on and it wasnt made up by the testers. So I’m gonna follow the advices I saw and be completely ready before taking the next test. With additional lessons and more driving. (Sucks bc I have my boyfriend as sponsor driver but he os also working & I know a lot of people driving on their own with learners permit but I am a law abiding citizen) so gonna ask help from friends as well who can drive. So yeah not gonna rush it and take the exam probably next year. And enjoy my Christmas and new year without getting depressed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement