Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Terrible spray repair job.. Any advice?

• 14-10-2019 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hiya guys, just looking for some advice

My car was keyed when I left it parked overnight in Swords.. I left it in to be fixed in my local repair place last Wednesday

My car is now ruined, the guy sprayed the whole bottom of my car in a different shade white and it looks like someone touched off the paint while wet so there were marks in it, there must have been masking tape along the side of the car and you can clearly see where it was peeled off..

I wasn't happy with the job so I went back to him and today he re-sprayed it for a second time and promised me it would be perfect (after trying to say that it must have been like that from an old repair job, my car, 2012 BMW, has never ever needed to be repaired before there wasn't a single scratch on it before it was keyed so it was never repaired) He has now made it even worse, he painted not only the panels that were keyed but the whole length of my car is now half a yellowish white on the bottom.. There was no need for him to touch the front panel as there wasn't a mark on it. The masking tape line is all the way along still too.

The owner wasn't there when i went to collect the car and his worker asked me to bring it back tomorrow to be polished and that will 'fix it' he said after i expressed how unhappy i was with it. I can even see and feel little bits of dirt stuck in the paint.

How can anyone running a crash repair garage think it's acceptable to leave a car in that state :(

Is there any way of going further about this or do I just have to cut my losses and pay another place to fix the damage he has done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Have you already paid them?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 am!e

bazz26 wrote: »
    Have you already paid them?

I paid him when I collected the car last Wednesday, it was raining when i picked it up so it was wet and getting dark it was only the next day when it was dry and bright that I could see what he had done.. I went straight back to him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Did you get an invoice for work? This could be very difficult

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Did you get an invoice for work? This could be very difficult

No I haven't got a receipt or anything from him, I think i'm screwed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

am!e wrote: »
    No I haven't got a receipt or anything from him, I think i'm screwed :(

If you paid in cash you definitely are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Small Claims Court if he won't play ball.

The fact the car was sprayed and collected on the same day would have me think it was never going to be done right. Any spray work I've had done have always been left bake overnight so that the paintwork can dry properly and no dust or dirt sticks when you drive it away. You have also put yourself in a weaker position now as you have already paid them. Was it a cash job or did you get a proper receipt for the work? I'd be taking the car elsewhere to be done properly by the sounds of what your saying but you could have a real battle on your hands to get your money back now from them. You need to deal with the boss though rather than the employee doing the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Is there any scope for an independent assessor to make an evaluation that would 'stand up in court', as they say ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

How much did you pay?

mloc123 wrote: »
    How much did you pay?

I paid him €200, it was just to take a key mark out..

It's not about the money i'm not looking for that back, he has ruined my car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

I suppose you could park outside and show people the quality of their work if they don't play ball. Yes you're out your own time doing so but I think I'd be adamant on a full refund at this stage and going somewhere else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

200 sounds very cheap tbh. Is this a local 'fred in the shed' effort?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

200 is very small money for a key mark which I presume was across a door or two ?

I would have said double that for a general job like that.

Okay... I wanted to how much because... For 200e I wouldn't have expected a decent job. To repair a keyed panel, the panel needs to be sprayed and the new paint blown into the others to hide it. So.. if it is the front door, they will need to spray it and blow into the front quarter and rear door... Maybe even the quarter.

You are looking at 7-800 minimum...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

£200!! He most likely sprayed it with a rattle can. That’s about the level/quality of job I’d expect for a €200 job.

All your going to get back is your money so I’d suggest finding a few quality body shops and get a few quotes to do a proper job which will most likely involve having the whole side of the car resprayed.

The first photo is what it looked like when i dropped it off with the key mark, the the end result

200 sounds very cheap tbh. Is this a local 'fred in the shed' effort?

I only went to him because he's local, I have no idea how much repair jobs should cost i've never had to have one done before

The worst part is.... That mark would have buffed out IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The first photo is what it looked like when i dropped it off with the key mark, the the end result

Oh sweet jeez, I could have done a better job blind folded with an arm tied behind my back!! That was done by someone who has never painted a car before and should not be allowed near a car again, an absolutely shocking level of incompetence!!!

That scratch could have been buffed out, there was no need for paint!!

That's a dreadful job. And you're right, he put newspaper or masking tape or something on it, and then removed it.

As far as I know (and I'm no panel beater) the idea for 'spot repairs' is to try and 'fade out' the paint job to blend it in, as it'll rarely (never) look the same otherwise.

I would agree that €200 is very, very cheap. However, you did write 'the boss wasn't there' so i presume it's a legitimate, above-board business, which means things could be okay for you ultimately, if they accept the work isn't great.

Looks like he tried to use the 'crease' in the bodywork's shape to try and hide the hard line of the paint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

You wouldn't expect much for €200 but that is shocking.

Take it to a real body shop to get it sorted. Anyone who would let a car leave like that clearly has no standards, there's hardly any point trying to reason with them.

Oh sweet jeez, I could have done a better job blind folded with an arm tied behind my back!! That was done by someone who has never painted a car before and should not be allowed near a car again, an absolutely shocking level of incompetence!!!

That scratch could have been buffed out, there was no need for paint!!

I could have done a better job myelf 😅
    And I just realised my petrol cap has been glued closed by the paint 😴

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭kdevitt

mloc123 wrote: »
    Okay... I wanted to how much because... For 200e I wouldn't have expected a decent job. To repair a keyed panel, the panel needs to be sprayed and the new paint blown into the others to hide it. So.. if it is the front door, they will need to spray it and blow into the front quarter and rear door... Maybe even the quarter.

You are looking at 7-800 minimum...

They actually don't. Blowing it in in only necessary if they can't match the exact shade.

Recently had a quote for work on our 3 series from Soraghans, who are just about as good as it gets - two full doors painted, no blowing in required - and it was €680. That was an insurance quote too - and on a silver car which are notoriously hard to match.

Depending on the size of the job, €200 is on the cheaper side but still reasonable and frankly I'd expect it done in a day - after the spray bake and any tidy up. Attached pic is quarter panel damage to a friends car which Carcraft in Ballybough repaired perfectly - and for not much more than what you paid.

In relation to the OP, if they're a registered company it doesn't matter if they gave you an invoice or not. Go down and meet the owner, attempt to keep it civil and explain that they're actually caused more damage through their attempts to fix up the initial damage. I think you'll be pushing it to get any more than your initial outlay back without going the legal route, but at least it'll go someway towards a better paint job.

Stevie Wonder must have sprayed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

It looks like he used Dulux weathershield

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How could someone hand a car back to you like that and have any remote sense of pride in their work. Even if they were a complete novice who watched a Youtube video on spraying a car an hour before they attempted this I'd expect a better result.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

eurokev wrote: »
    It looks like he used Dulux weathershield

Or Tipp-Ex.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Masked along the swage line?! That is one of the worst paInt jobs I've ever seen. Forget about them putting it right. Rear 3/4 and door need respraying now by someone who knows what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Jesus Christ that's bad. Hopefully you can get it sorted. I'd be looking for my money back and be done with them. They should be paying the cost of a professional crowd to fix what they've done.

• Advertisement

Masked along the swage line?! That is one of the worst paInt jobs I've ever seen. Forget about them putting it right. Rear 3/4 and door need respraying now by someone who knows what they are doing.

The only parts that would have needed to be repaired were on the bit in pink.. But he also sprayed the parts in marked in Red today in an effort to blend it in so now it's looking like i need the whole side of the car re-sprayed :(

Advertisement