Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VRT on UK car which has been in Ireland for 14 years.

Options
  • 23-09-2019 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for me.
    My situation is as follows:
    My Grandfather bought an old Reliant Robin in England back in 2005.
    He never registered the car here or had it on the road.
    In 2009 he began the process of registering it and then for some reason or another he never bothered to finish it and has just left it in his garage since and started it occasionally.
    He passed away a few weeks ago of cancer and had agreed that I would be left the car but didn't include it in a will or anything (He just left word with my grandmother to pass the paperwork to me after he'd gone).

So the only paperwork I have is the original manual and a certificate of permanent export from the DVLA in Swansea dated in 2009 with the date of export marked as 2005, in my grandfather's name.

Does anyone know the easiest way to get the car onto IRL plates in my name?
    Or is it impossible at this point?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Sorry to hear about your grandfather and lovely touch he left it to you. Not impossible to register but you will have to pay a "fine". Have a read here
    https://www.vrt.ie/faq/late-vrt-penalties/
    As regard to register it. You need to make an appointment for vrt which can be done on ncts.ie and bring the car down and they will check it over. As it's over 30 years old it's just a flat rate of 200+ late fees

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Sorry to hear about your grandfather OP.

What year is the car ? It's certainly not impossible to register it. If it's over the 30 year mark it won't even incur any penalties, just book it in and bring all the paperwork you need. Type or write out a letter to state how you obtained the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 pfriel28

Thanks for your prompt reply.

So judging by that the total including the fine would be 400?, which is fine with me.

The part I'm worried about is just the old certificate of export made out to my grandfather. Do you think that would suffice for the VRT office? Or would I maybe have to have it registered to the next of kin or something. (That being my Grandmother).

michellie wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your grandfather OP.

What year is the car ? It's certainly not impossible to register it. If it's over the 30 year mark it won't even incur any penalties, just book it in and bring all the paperwork you need. Type or write out a letter to state how you obtained the vehicle.

Thank you.

Car is 1980, so 39 years old.
    OK, sounds like it won't be too bad then.

Needs some restoration before I can even drive it anyway.
    They'll probably want to inspect so that means getting it in roadworthy condition first.
    Let the fun begin. :)

pfriel28 wrote: »
    Thank you.

Car is 1980, so 39 years old.
    OK, sounds like it won't be too bad then.

Needs some restoration before I can even drive it anyway.
    They'll probably want to inspect so that means getting it in roadworthy condition first.
    Let the fun begin. :)

Ah you'll be grand. Get it up and running and book in. Bring the cert of export, vrtvpd2 form, a letter outlining how you obtained it, proof of address, pps and ID and you'll be sorted. €200 ( penalties aren't applied to vintage stuff)

• Advertisement

Guys you have been awesome.

Thanks so much to all of you for your help, that has put my mind at ease big time.

Cheers :)

Guys you have been awesome.

Thanks so much to all of you for your help, that has put my mind at ease big time.

Cheers :)

No bother, good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

you won't have to pay a fine, you only just came into ownership of it. Can you get a "receipt" from your Grandmother showing ownership passed to you with a current date? Would make it simpler. Cert of export in anyones name is fine. €200 VRT only.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

Isambard wrote: »
    you won't have to pay a fine, you only just came into ownership of it. Can you get a "receipt" from your Grandmother showing ownership passed to you with a current date? Would make it simpler. Cert of export in anyones name is fine. €200 VRT only.

Even if the car is in the country over 12 months etc they don’t put any penalties on vintage cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

supervento wrote: »
    Even if the car is in the country over 12 months etc they don’t put any penalties on vintage cars.

Problem is it wasn’t a vintage when it was brought in and if I read it correctly an attempt was previously made to VRT it which may be recorded and thus make it difficult for it to be seen as just imported.

• Advertisement

Marcusm wrote: »
    Problem is it wasn’t a vintage when it was brought in and if I read it correctly an attempt was previously made to VRT it which may be recorded and thus make it difficult for it to be seen as just imported.

That doesn't make a difference, there won't be penalties.

While it is €200 anyway in this particular case, there is no need to make up a fake receipt, as I previously told the OP, write up a honest account of what happened.

In other instances of non vintage vehicles here longer than 30 days (if shipping docs are not provided)a "receipt" from an imaginary person will not work , it will still go as the date on the cert of export or the last date it was taxed. So I wouldn't advise using a fake invoice in the hope of not getting penalties for non vintage stuff, penalties will apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

I wasn't suggesting a fake receipt as there was no sale involved. As I clearly said the "receipt" was to show the date that ownership was transferred.

I wasn't suggesting a fake receipt as there was no sale involved. As I clearly said the "receipt" was to show the date that ownership was transferred.

That change of ownership doesn't matter for VRT purposes anyway, the date of entry would still be 14 years ago, on a non vintage car the OP would have taken on those penalties. OP is lucky its vintage :):)

michellie wrote: »
    That doesn't make a difference, there won't be penalties.

There would be penalties and VRT based on the historic value if the process was started 10 years ago but was not completed. Revenue will intervene to ask for proof that it was exported and then reimported independently.

Sooooo funny story....

I took the car in yesterday.
    Had a letter from my Grandmother to transfer ownership to myself and explaining everything.
    They accepted it no problem submitted everything and did the inspection.

When everything was entered in to the system it came back with a total of €0.00 owed.

So the only cost to myself was €60 euro to to have the car transported to the vrt office.

Needless to say Granda was watchin' over me. Cheers again everyone for your help.

Sooooo funny story....

Had a letter from my Grandmother to transfer ownership to myself and explaining everything.

When everything was entered in to the system it came back with a total of €0.00 owed.

So the only cost to myself was €60 euro to to have the car transported to the vrt office.

Needless to say Granda was watchin' over me. Cheers again everyone for your help.

It also only costs 26 euro to tax for the year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Great story and great memories of your Grandad everytime you drive it. Enjoy.

Sooooo funny story....

That’s a fair result. He must never have started the registration process all those years ago. Hope you get it going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

Marcusm wrote: »
    There would be penalties and VRT based on the historic value if the process was started 10 years ago but was not completed. Revenue will intervene to ask for proof that it was exported and then reimported independently.

This doesn’t apply to vintage cars from my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

This isn't a car, it's a tricycle and as such VRT rules for motorcycles applies. ZERO if over 30 years old. 26 tax. No NCT. M50 and East Link free.

A while back I assisted in an appeal on a Robin. It was incorrectly registered as car. Owner got €600 refunded.

Also depending on when you passed your category B car test, depends on if you're licenced to drive it.

Glad you got it sorted OP

macplaxton wrote: »
    This isn't a car, it's a tricycle and as such VRT rules for motorcycles applies. ZERO if over 30 years old. 26 tax. No NCT. M50 and East Link free.

A while back I assisted in an appeal on a Robin. It was incorrectly registered as car. Owner got €600 refunded.

Also depending on when you passed your category B car test, depends on if you're licenced to drive it.

Yeah some googling explained this eventually. I passed my test in 2010 and the cut-off was 2013 so i'm good.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Glad it worked for you. Off topic but is a 3 wheeler legal these days and will you be able to insure it?
    Are they allowed on motorways?
    What size engine is in it?

Cool car to have BTW, and condolences on your grandad

Glad it worked for you. Off topic but is a 3 wheeler legal these days and will you be able to insure it?
    Are they allowed on motorways?
    What size engine is in it?

Cool car to have BTW, and condolences on your grandad

Yep they're legal.

I got a quote with Carole Nash for 376.

It's an 850cc engine. I'm not sure about motorways. Can't see why they wouldn't be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Yep they're legal.

I got a quote with Carole Nash for 376.

It's an 850cc engine. I'm not sure about motorways. Can't see why they wouldn't be.

Sounds like a cool thing to have. So rare here, I've never seen one on the road. Watch the top gear episode where Clarkson keeps tipping one over, very funny.

Sounds like a cool thing to have. So rare here, I've never seen one on the road. Watch the top gear episode where Clarkson keeps tipping one over, very funny.

Yeah I've seen that. Apparently they weighted them to one side to get them to roll. They're actually quite well balanced. Still wouldn't trust them though. :L

Advertisement