Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

And the winner of dreamer of the year is... Part 2!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Ryano87

I hate to post the same culprit but this is verging on extracting the urine:

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/exceptional-bespoke-land-rover-defender/24651819

They must get a kick out of appearing on this thread. I'm not a begrudger and delighted to see such a garage clearly doing well but how they achieve those prices is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I dont get the Defender thing, but there are people that are fanatic about them.

I would say that will sell quick enough. I expect to see it going to Donnybrrok Fair in Dublin 4 to buy some organic asparagus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Ryano87 wrote: »

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/exceptional-bespoke-land-rover-defender/24651819

They must get a kick out of appearing on this thread. I'm not a begrudger and delighted to see such a garage clearly doing well but how they achieve those prices is beyond me.

Americans are paying 20 grand for 25+ y/o examples not half as nice as that one out of Europe.

It’s an expensive car, sure, but I don’t think he’s dreaming. I think it’s absolutely class too

• Registered Users Posts: 17,392 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Ryano87 wrote: »

There should be a rule where none of these Deane Motors cars should be posted. Free advertising. I’m sick of seeing these absolute chancers here. Clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 not2be

There should be a rule where none of these Deane Motors cars should be posted. Free advertising. I’m sick of seeing these absolute chancers here. Clowns.

I would not envy anyone trying to sell expensive "toys" in the next few years....that will be a tough number....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

not2be wrote: »
    I think their going to need all the free advertising they can get..... selling expensive "toys" in the next few years will be a tough gig....

Damn straight, the classic car market is surely well and truly bollixed now?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’m sure your “€50k for an old defender” buyer won’t be affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

Damn straight, the classic car market is surely well and truly bollixed now?

Their seems to be more cars for sale in the classic section of done deals in recent times, I'm assuming because of Covid 19.Some people having to sell their beloved automobile perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 The bird man

Awww man, they must really have done something to you. Every time I read this thread you are slating them 🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 16 The bird man

Americans are paying 20 grand for 25+ y/o examples not half as nice as that one out of Europe.

It’s an expensive car, sure, but I don’t think he’s dreaming. I think it’s absolutely class too

I would have thought it was bang on the money. Loads of companies doing similar stuff in the uk for dearer. Fair play to them anyways... at least they are trying something different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Their seems to be more cars for sale in the classic section of done deals in recent times, I'm assuming because of Covid 19.Some people having to sell their beloved automobile perhaps.

Perhaps but taditionally around about this time of year would have been the best time for selling classic/weekend/summer cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The other end of the extreme. The ad is a bit old but I just came across it. €500, no tax, no test, no two panels the same colour and no back axle. Not worth a fiver.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-polo-01/24337448

Awww man, they must really have done something to you. Every time I read this thread you are slating them 🀣

Every time I open this thread one of their cars has been posted. What can I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The other end of the extreme. The ad is a bit old but I just came across it. €500, no tax, no test, no two panels the same colour and no back axle. Not worth a fiver.

You never know, the 2 new tyres fitted could be Michelin Pilots costing €250 alone..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

bazz26 wrote: »
    You never know, the 2 new tyres fitted could be Michelin Pilots costing €250..

Either that or there's €495 in the glove box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

NCT Due Feb 19 according to the wordy part :confused::pac: Poor Cara should have paid more attention.

NTQxZmI0MGM1NjRkYWMyZmNjNTQ2MmNjZDBmNzVhN2N12KzDfj-3tirhQki6k5Y8aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDMwMTIwMjl8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Am I right I’m in thinking you CAN’T Import any car into the US that’s under 25 years old. That rule obviously will inflate the price of vehicles over 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,696 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Am I right I’m in thinking you CAN’T Import any car into the US that’s under 25 years old. That rule obviously will inflate the price of vehicles over 25.

You can import some special models under the Show and Display rule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

You can import some special models under the Show and Display rule

Which rules out a lot of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/nissan-patrol-4-0-petrol-manuel/24683212

The fact that Manuel has a capital M makes me thing he’s given it an undeserving name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,148 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

L-M wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/nissan-patrol-4-0-petrol-manuel/24683212

The fact that Manuel has a capital M makes me thing he’s given it an undeserving name.

cool looking though even if the price is a bit ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Is there a market for stuff like that if the seller is willing to sell it internationally?

When I was in the US a decade ago a colleague boasted of staying up all night on Ebay to get an early '80s Land Cruiser for sale in New Zealand for a "low low price" that seemed mad to me, a five figure sum I can't quite recall. Only a couple of years ago a friend in Ireland had ditched his similar vintage, though very knackered, one as essentially worthless. One man's trash...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Thats a cool looking Yoke. He'd be better off trying to shift it abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

An ex fire truck went through the auction for 1,800 Euro

Gmc sierra 3500 fire truck, one owner 15.850 miles

Was on sale on done deal last year for €12k

Spanish Import?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I love these ads when they say 'if it doesn't sell, I'll keep it.' Stating the obvious? Is it a threat that they'll take it off the market and you won't be able to get it? Are they bragging that they don't need the money? Then why is it for sale?

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think they’re countering any potential arguments that it’s overpriced.

There was one seller a few years ago saying if he didn’t get the (big) asking price he’d just send it to be scrapped.

hoodie6029 wrote: »
    I love these ads when they say 'if it doesn't sell, I'll keep it.' Stating the obvious? Is it a threat that they'll take it off the market and you won't be able to get it? Are they bragging that they don't need the money? Then why is it for sale?

“Testing the water”
    “If it doesn’t sell I’ll keep it”
    “If I don’t get what I want I’ll put it back in the shed”
    “I’ll garage it until it’s 30 years old”

It’s all code for the seller is a tosspot. They’re expecting someone to rock up with exactly the asking price in cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

It is a neat way to flag the kind of person you'll be dealing with.

God be with the days of classifieds in paper or Buy and Sell when there was someone on the other end tidying up the grammar and typos for you and not letting ridiculous statements in their paper. Think of all the time the internet has saved from calling these people. Ad in all caps - move on. 'L@@K at this!' - move on. Check the NCT site, no test, ad says no timewasters - move on etc etc.

Cui bono?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

hoodie6029 wrote: »
    It is a neat way to flag the kind of person you'll be dealing with.

God be with the days of classifieds in paper or Buy and Sell when there was someone on the other end tidying up the grammar and typos for you and not letting ridiculous statements in their paper. Think of all the time the internet has saved from calling these people. Ad in all caps - move on. 'L@@K at this!' - move on. Check the NCT site, no test, ad says no timewasters - move on etc etc.

Emojis in ads is another one.

Advertisement