Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Stormy - Sun/Mon (Media hyped storm, never forecast by Met/Boards)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Forecasters Warning

Heavy Rain and Severe Gale Risk

Areas Affected: Potentially all of Britain and Ireland, but coastal areas currently at highest risk of seeing gales or severe gales develop.

Valid: Late Sunday 07th - Tuesday 09th November 2010

This is an Advance Weather Warning issued by Metcheck at 18:16 on Thursday 04th November 2010.

A deepening Atlantic low is forecast to sink south-eastwards close to or over western Britain and Ireland during the second half of Sunday and into Monday.

Confidence is currently low over the track of this system, but is moderate for a spell of very wet and very windy weather to affect western areas during Sunday night and Monday, with rain and potential gales affecting many regions.

Current projections indicate that around an inch (25mm) of rain may fall from this system with south/south-easterly gales or severe gale force winds developing around some coasts. With spring tides forecast, this may result in coastal flooding occurring in some locations.

This Advance Weather Warning will be updated tomorrow, Friday 05th November 2010.

Issued by: Paul Barber for Metcheck
    ---END---

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/warnings.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

So noting then for the east coast ( DUBLIN ) apart from a bit of rain then?? :(:(:(

Was hoping to go out to the coast and get a few pics of some angry seas!

What about the tuesday potential anyone? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

18hz GFS does not alter the path of sunday's story in any way. Same as 12hz output

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    18hz GFS does not alter the path of sunday's story in any way. Same as 12hz output

Im not sure if the GFS has a handle on this storm yet. It explodes then becomes flabby over Ireland then tightens back up again. Either we have some kind of secret supernatural storm shield here or I dunno what. Ive never seen a storm develop like that and the direction its coming from too is odd.

Iancar29 wrote: »
    So noting then for the east coast ( DUBLIN ) apart from a bit of rain then?? :(:(:(

Was hoping to go out to the coast and get a few pics of some angry seas!

What about the tuesday potential anyone? :)

All depends on how it tracks and how intense it will be. Looks like a strange system.

• Advertisement

Met Monkey weather ramp outlook :

All eyes are well and truly on the Atlantic right now as a quite violent and angry jet stream begins to pick up pace. By Saturday AM low pressure around Newfoundland will have already developed in response to extremely warm and moist air being pushed Northwards from the tropics courtesy of an upper ridged pattern. A jet streak spirals at 165kts out of Newfoundland by this time, intensifying to a very impressive 195kts+ by Sunday Morning. As the jet rounds the upper ridge pattern and plunges to the East in a strong North to South elongation – so the low moving across the Arctic has the key ingredients to under-go a very explosive deepening.

We anticipate that by Sunday AM the low will be rapidly deepening in an explosive fashion, what we know in the business as Bombogenisis or Explosive Cyclogenisis. These storms are more than capable of bringing very dangerous weather conditions associated with high winds and very heavy rainfall.

Batten Down the Hatches would be our advice to you right now, especially if you live in more exposed Western parts of Scotland, England and Wales – including the entire South Coast. Despite being on the weaker side of the jet, there will be widespread severe gales on the Eastern and South Eastern flanks of the storm system and gusts of 70 – 80mph will be a possibility.

Due to the amount of rain that we have had in the last few days and combined with the heavy rainfall that will be spreading in from the West during Monday, anchorage on top heavy trees will be weakened and combined with gales – uprooting of trees will be a possibility. Britain is currently bracing itself for disruption to transport networks and power utilities.

As we go through the next few days we’ll be continually monitoring the development, offering analysis and more comprehensive information with regards to the worst affected areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭pauldry

yes!!

could this be it:p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,621 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I think it will be further East, or, at least, it will have a more pronounced E'ly component to it's track. The track it's projected to take is freakish- but then so was the track of hurricane debbie.

i certainly don't envy the task of forecasting agencies this weekend.

Pressure drop goes off the charts. Literally. :pac:

112bc03.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Conditions like these on the link below are what im hoping for on Sunday in Salthill.As i said i'll be there with my camera.Actually the last time a high tide and storm happened together in Galway the river Corrib rose to a record level and reached past the Spanish Arch to Quay Street,it was incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbpaalw0-SI

• Advertisement

Question for MT, DE, Su etc.... why are the models showing the low having such a large flabby center over Ireland when the pressure is dropping so low?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I think you can blame the large flabby centre on a high carbohydrate diet.

But also the storm has time to spin out a vast occlusion and is tracking at almost right angles to the normal storm track. This means that thermal contrast reduces rapidly from the time where the pressure falls are intense near Iceland, to the time where the storm is just in steady state over Ireland. If the models have the right call on this (remains to be seen) then it takes 2-3 days for a system this massive to fill up, but the process of stacking from surface to upper levels will basically create a vast swirl of moist air with similar temperatures all around (8-12 C).

I think this is plausible based on a few other cases that I've seen with low pressure tracking in this odd direction. If you compared this with a low of similar central pressure moving northeast, it won't be anywhere near as dynamic, but that pressure gradient is bound to create strong enough winds until you get into the dead zone which looks like anything under 964 mbs to the centre. In the dead zone there may be very little wind and not all that much rainfall either, just some patchy rain and drizzle.

This will be basically more isobars than weather for about 12-18 hours currently estimated to be Sunday evening to Monday mid-day. Then the second half of the event will arrive and it could get rather blustery if the centre holds to a low pressure and doesn't just fill up rapidly.

I'll tackle the details again at 0600 after the 00z model runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Timistry

Im in oz but I can just tell that this is going to be our typical will it-wont it irish weather rollercoaster! From the Kerry coast origionally so this would be epic down there. I will never forget the sea during the xmas storm in 1997. Some of the waves were just enoromous (id say 20ft) and the wind rocked our 4x4. My brother almost got knocked down aswell by our trailer which blew across the yard, handbrake on and everything:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Aiel wrote: »
    Conditions like these on the link below are what im hoping for on Sunday in Salthill.As i said i'll be there with my camera.Actually the last time a high tide and storm happened together in Galway the river Corrib rose to a record level and reached past the Spanish Arch to Quay Street,it was incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbpaalw0-SI

Yeah I remember people were complaining to the city council that "Flood St." was flooded:D
    There's a clue in the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

How about rainfall amounts? After all this rain the last week, the ground is soaked, ive standing water in my back garden.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Potential stormy conditions, high rainfall and possibility of coastal flooding now headline news (8am news on RTE).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The storm is top news on RTE, probably because Dublin is at risk of flooding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Blaming the wrong hurricane too, surely that is Hurricane Shary not Tomas.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1105/flooding.html
    A flood warning has been issued for this weekend as the weakening tropical storm Tomas approaches Ireland.
    1 of 1 Flooding - Warning from Met Éireann

A flood warning has been issued for this weekend as the weakening tropical storm Tomas approaches Ireland.
    Winds of up to 100km/h are expected.
    Motorists and property owners are being warned of flooding on the eastern and western seaboards.
    Forecasters say there is a high-risk of flooding due to an active weather front and as the remnants of Hurricane Tomas heads for the Irish coast.
    Met Éireann says it will move across the country on Sunday night and Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Sponge Bob wrote: »

They must have heard you. Its changed now.:)

P.S... When do you think it will be safe to ramp up the title of this thread???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Looks like they corrected it. They are probably watching Tomas becsue of the potential flooding it will cause in Haiti and they are preparing bulletins for that, however, we will have our own storm to contend with.

• Advertisement

• DOCARCH wrote: »
    Potential stormy conditions, high rainfall and possibility of coastal flooding now headline news (8am news on RTE).
    If the coastal surge gets up as far as your house,I think it might make Cnn,Sky news and fox..

Looks like the GFS and ECM aren't showing such a large flabby core on this storm.

Gusts of around 100kmph in the Irish Sea and up along parts of the east coast here :

6e26tc.gif

With very heavy rain sweeping in at the same time :

2jg78dc.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Is there two storms heading our way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I'm sure there is.

Interesting that this storm is getting interest even on the American weather forums because of its very unusual track and how deep the models drop the pressure to.

Here is the Met Eireann outlook :

Sunday will start bright and dry with sunny spells. During the afternoon and evening it will become very windy or even stormy with widespread heavy rain and very strong West to Southwesterly winds. Some flooding is likely. As a deep area of low pressure tracks over Ireland during Sunday night and Monday there will be further periods of heavy rain and strong winds at times with more flooding likely. Max temperatures on Sunday and Monday will range 7 to 10 degrees. Clearer showery weather will set in on Monday evening and night with very strong and blustery Northerly winds turning Northeasterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

SO.....EXCITED:D:p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A little breezy on Monday

072.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Seems RTE wasnt the only one to get their hurricanes mixed up

http://www.thejournal.ie/hurricane-warning-for-irish-coast-2010-11/

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

If the coastal surge gets up as far as your house,I think it might make Cnn,Sky news and fox..

Ohhh....will cancel sand and bag order! :D

If the coastal surge got up as far as my house, there would be no news!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

live image

Rtavn781.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement