Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Because Triple H made him look like a fool through the majority of their feud(and Jericho's title reign)leading up WM18(picking up steph's dog's sh!t for example)

Dont think anybody could have taken him seriously as a main eventer after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭mr.mayo

Money is very important for faces yes, but not so much for heels. I mean how much money did JBL bring in? On the topic of JBL, he pretty much went from being a nobody to a World Champion overnight. If he can go for being the perennial mid-carder to being a genuine main eventer who had an almost year long title reign, then surely laying down for the biggest star in the industry shouldn't have completely killed off Jericho and his main event status, should it? You see main event heels being "made look like a fool" all the time nowadays, CM Punk didn't pin one main eventer during his two title reigns of 09, neither did Sheamus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

geeky wrote: »
    Kane was born in Spain.

I had absolutely no idea

Although looking into it Kane was born to US parents on an air force base, they just happened to be stationed in Spain, which means he has duel citizenship. And he spent a lot of his youth in the US so I don't think he technically qualifies

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I had absolutely no idea

Although looking into it Kane was born to US parents on an air force base, they just happened to be stationed in Spain, which means he has duel citizenship. And he spent a lot of his youth in the US so I don't think he technically qualifies

me neither! it qualifies; but I wouldn't consider him Spanish at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Are most wrestling matches not fully prepared rehearsed and planned? I mean, is it not possible to have a classic match every year? Example Shawn Michales and Undertaker.... was this so good becuase the 2 men were feeding off eachother?
    Or is it that perhaps the start...and some moves in the middle are rehearsed and the end..... but the majority of the match is improvised?

• Advertisement

Are most wrestling matches not fully prepared rehearsed and planned? I mean, is it not possible to have a classic match every year? Example Shawn Michales and Undertaker.... was this so good becuase the 2 men were feeding off eachother?
    Or is it that perhaps the start...and some moves in the middle are rehearsed and the end..... but the majority of the match is improvised?

It depends where you are with relation to main event status. The higher up the food chain you are, the more leeway you're given to put together the match yourself. It depends if the wrestler in question can 'lead' a match (i.e. dictate the pace and call the spots)

e.g. HBK & Taker (both leaders) lay out all the big spots of the match, and call the rest of the match when they're out there.

Yoshi Tatsu vs Dolph Ziggler (both noobs): every move is planned out ahead of time by the road agent.

Triple H vs Sheamus (tonight) : Triple H will dictate the pace and call every spot; they'll have gone through the match beforehand naming all the big spots but the bits in-between them, Triple H will call the pretty much all of it.

So if you wonder why the lower-card and mid-card guys all wrestle the same, it's because they're all trained by the same guys and told to wrestle the WWE way. So it's very unconducive to individuality and diversity.

It's possible to have a great match every year, but there's a few general rules :

1)You must be a main-eventer or be wrestling a main eventer (wrestlers in WWE work about 30% pace of what they're capable of in general - i'd imagine Shawn and Taker couldn't work much faster...but someone like Benjamin or Bourne or Danielson can go much faster and harder...problem is the work schedule in WWE is a killer!)

2) You must both be fantastic wrestlers, or one of you an extremely talented wrestler

3) You have to be given the time/leeway/right booking to actually perform the match.

It's actually really difficult to put on consistent great performances, something wrestlers (in general) only get after many years in the business.

Another point worth mentioning is that in general everyone's told to have the best match they can have at WrestleMania; which is why it's usually PPV of the year.

Hope that answers your questions!

jaykhunter wrote: »
    It depends where you are with relation to main event status. The higher up the food chain you are, the more leeway you're given to put together the match yourself. It depends if the wrestler in question can 'lead' a match (i.e. dictate the pace and call the spots)

e.g. HBK & Taker (both leaders) lay out all the big spots of the match, and call the rest of the match when they're out there.

Yoshi Tatsu vs Dolph Ziggler (both noobs): every move is planned out ahead of time by the road agent.

Triple H vs Sheamus (tonight) : Triple H will dictate the pace and call every spot; they'll have gone through the match beforehand naming all the big spots but the bits in-between them, Triple H will call the pretty much all of it.

So if you wonder why the lower-card and mid-card guys all wrestle the same, it's because they're all trained by the same guys and told to wrestle the WWE way. So it's very unconducive to individuality and diversity.

Hope that answers your questions!

Just wondering what you mean by HHH calling the spots? how is this done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

When wrestlers lock up (headlocks etc) they will communicate about what spot they will do next or a change in the plan of the match. This is done throughout matches but it is hard to see it from the crowd or on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,010 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

he tells him.

for example, he might tell Sheamus under his breath while in a rest hold, or in the corner.

e.g. - 'after my next punch, throw me into the corner and i'll flip over the top rope'...(or something like that).

why is JR not on WWE anymore? Has he retired or moved on?

I havent been following it that much in recent years..just more so lately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭glenjamin

why is JR not on WWE anymore? Has he retired or moved on?

I havent been following it that much in recent years..just more so lately
    He suffered his 3rd Bell's Palsy stroke late last year and has been out of action since. There was thought that he would return to announce Mania but he turned it down. No idea when he'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

glenjamin wrote: »
    He suffered his 3rd Bell's Palsy stroke late last year and has been out of action since. There was thought that he would return to announce Mania but he turned it down. No idea when he'll be back.

I don't think he turned it down I think they just decided not to go with him. I've been reading his blog and he seemed hopeful he'd be involved but for whatever reason it's not happening.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I don't think he turned it down I think they just decided not to go with him. I've been reading his blog and he seemed hopeful he'd be involved but for whatever reason it's not happening.

He most certainly wanted to call HBK/'Taker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭mr.mayo

For anyone who remembers "Exposed! The Secrets of Pro Wrestling", can you tell me the names of any of the wrestlers involved, I'm pretty sure Colossus is Golddust but I'm not sure who the rest are, here's a link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03LsMmM0lFs

It wasn't a great doc by any means but it did get its points across, shame they treated it like a conspiracy, seemed very patronising and that's probably why it got such bad reviews

This edition of Review-a-Wai (which starts about the 1hr 30 min mark) reviews the show; goes thru the names (harley race is the booker) and also includes a damning review by yours truly! (Jay Hunter)

Review-a-Wai January 31
    Exposed! - Pro Wrestling's Greatest Secrets (1998)
    http://www.thefightnetwork.com/assets/Downloads/202/LAW-JAN31-2010.mp3

Review-a-Wai is a podcast of John Pollock and Wai Ting (who recently made that Survival of the Hitman documentary) who review old wrestling PPVs and media (films, TV shows etc). They're awesome! Check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

This was in another thread, but cannot find it - Can you sky plus stuff on box office??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

gimmick wrote: »
    This was in another thread, but cannot find it - Can you sky plus stuff on box office??

the guy who streamed the mania i watched did. Apparently you cant if you order over the phone and not through your box or something and the recording will delete itself within a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I need to ask a question but don't want to spoil anyone's WM26 experience, so if someone can help me out who saw WM last night
    I'm going to WWE Raw in Newcastle and I was wondering what the chances of Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels showing up are - based on what happens last night it looks as if Michaels just won't be there, and Bret has been mentioned as just being with Smackdown in the UK...they're the only reason I bought tickets!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

I need to ask a question but don't want to spoil anyone's WM26 experience, so if someone can help me out who saw WM last night
    I'm going to WWE Raw in Newcastle and I was wondering what the chances of Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels showing up are - based on what happens last night it looks as if Michaels just won't be there, and Bret has been mentioned as just being with Smackdown in the UK...they're the only reason I bought tickets!
    Is Bret not going to be a special enforcer in matches between Cena and Batista?

• Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

How many times has a RR winner lost their title match at WM?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    How many times has a RR winner lost their title match at WM?

Just found this, Liz:
    Starting with the 1993 Royal Rumble Match, the winner was entitled to receive a main event title shot at WrestleMania. In some cases, the winner of the Rumble went on to win a championship at WrestleMania while others have lost their title match. On several occasions, the Rumble winner never even got to use their title shot.

1993 Rumble Winner: Yokozuna
    Yokozuna fought Bret Hart for the WWE Championship at WrestleMania IX. Yokozana beat Bret for the championship and then put the title on the line against Hulk Hogan minutes later. The Hulkster wound up leaving the event as the new WWE Champion.

1994 Rumble Winners: Bret Hart and Lex Luger
    This was the only time that there were co-winners of the Rumble. A coin toss was used to determine who would get the first title shot. Lex Luger won the toss and fought Yokozuna first. He was disqualified in that match by special guest referee Curt Hennig. Later in the show, Bret Hart, who lost to his brother Owen earlier in the show, beat Yokozuna to walk out of Madison Square Garden as the new champion.

1995 and 1996 Rumble Winner: Shawn Michaels
    Shawn lost to WWE Champion Diesel at WrestleMania XI. The following year, he beat Bret Hart to win his first WWE Championship.

1997 Winner: Steve Austin
    Stone Cold was the first Rumble winner that did not cash in his title shot at WrestleMania. Shortly after the Rumble, WWE Champion Shawn Michaels vacated the title. Due to the controversial finish of the Rumble (Austin was eliminated but the refs didn’t see it), the vacated title was filled by a four man elimination match based on the finish of the Rumble. The next night, Austin cost Bret the title. At WrestleMania 13, Bret beat Austin in a submission match.

1998 Winner: Steve Austin
    Steve Austin went on to fight Shawn Michaels in the main event that featured Mike Tyson as a special enforcer at ringside. Steve won the match to win his first WWE Championship.

1999 Winner: Vince McMahon
    The night after winning the Rumble, Vince gave up his title shot so that his friend the Rock didn’t have to defend the belt at WrestleMania. Commissioner Shawn Michaels declared that since Vince vacated the title shot that Steve Austin would get the title shot since he was the last man eliminated from the match. The controversy was settled in a steel cage match between Vince and Austin. Austin won that match to get the title shot and used it to beat the Rock.

2000 Winner: The Rock
    The Rock lost his title shot to Big Show at No Way Out. The main event was later changed into a match that featured a member of the McMahon family represent one of the wrestlers in that match. WWE Champion Triple H successfully defended his title at WrestleMania 2000 against the Rock, the Big Show, and Mick Foley.

2001 Winner: Steve Austin
    Steve used his title shot to win the title from the Rock at WrestleMania X-Seven.

2002 Winner: Triple H
    On the Road to WrestleMania, Triple H lost and then regained his title shot to Kurt Angle. Triple H then went on to beat Chris Jericho for the undisputed championship at WrestleMania X8.

2003 Winner: Brock Lesnar
    Brock Lesnar went on to win the WWE Championship from Kurt Angle at WrestleMania XIX.

2004 Winner: Chris Benoit
    Chris was the first Rumble winner to switch brands. By doing that, he also became the first wrestler to use his Rumble victory to try and win the World Heavyweight Championship. Shawn Michaels was not happy about this and knocked out Benoit. He proceeded to sign Benoit’s WrestleMania contract. A ruling determined that Shawn Michaels would be added to the title match. At WrestleMania XX, Chris Benoit beat Triple H and Shawn Michaels to win the World Heavyweight Championship.

2005 Winner: Batista
    Batista used his title shot to win the World Heavyweight Championship from Triple H.

2006 Winner: Rey Mysterio
    Rey lost his title shot to Randy Orton at No Way Out. SmackDown GM Teddy Long decided to add Rey to the World Title match at WrestleMania 22. In that match, Rey Mysterio beat Randy Orton and Kurt Angle to win his first World Heavyweight Championship.

2007 Winner: The Undertaker
    The Undertaker used his title shot to beat Batista at WrestleMania 23 for the World Heavyweight Championship.

2008 Winner: John Cena
    John decided to use his title shot early and has challenged Randy Orton to a WWE Championship at No Way Out. He won that match via DQ but not the title. At WrestleMania XXIV, John lost a triple-threat match against WWE Champion Randy Orton and Triple H.

2009 Winner: Randy Orton
    Randy Orton lost to WWE Champion Triple H at The 25th Anniversary of WrestleMania.

2010 Winner: Edge
    Edge lost to World Heavyweight Champion Chris Jericho at WrestleMania XXVI

Starrcade? What were the good ones? I have a set of all of them but do not want to watch the whole lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

86 where nearly every match on the card is good, 88 is worth the watch, 89 is good

the 92-94 shows skip except for the vader matches, 1995-97 have some great junior hw clashes

Why is the TNA ring shaped like a hexagon sometimes? then other times it is the normal squared ring?

TNA had a 6 sided ring for a good few years, but they reverted to a standard 4 sided ring when Hogan et al joined the club.

It is a permanent standard ring nowadays.

gimmick wrote: »
    TNA had a 6 sided ring for a good few years, but they reverted to a standard 4 sided ring when Hogan et al joined the club.

It is a permanent standard ring nowadays.

so is the 6 sided ring finished with?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

so is the 6 sided ring finished with?

For now at least anyway.

Why is the TNA ring shaped like a hexagon sometimes? then other times it is the normal squared ring?

When TNA started in 2002, they used a 4-sided ring. They started using a 6-sided ring in late 2004 to look different, and also the 6-sides made the cables tighter and top rope steadier, which was welcomed by the high-flying X-Division. It also made the ring slightly smaller (think of cutting corners out of a square) which made the (generally smaller) wrestlers look bigger. Hogan and Bischoff are/were not fans of the 6-sides (as was JR, saying it was 'distracting') and so got a 4-sided ring set up for the Genesis PPV in Jan 2010, and it's been that way ever since.

Hogan/Bischoff were booed at the start of Genesis by the crowd, saying the 6-sides "only got you so far, brother". Immediately following Genesis TNA had a european tour, apparently they used the 6-sided ring. On TV from Genesis, it's been 4 sides and looks to stay that way. Since then the TNA crowd have gotten used to the four sided ring and nobody really champions the 6-sides anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 nmull

Hi guys,

Love wrestling, but recession bites in and struggling so had to cut sky and no longer have access to Pay-per-view channels.

Just wondering does any places show the events live? Pubs or stuff in town?

Was thinking it would be good craic watching the shows with a few other heads who know what they're talking about!

Cheers!

I'm talking about the WWE shows.

• Advertisement

Given the times of PPVs, usually starting at 1am, Id say no to any pubs or clubs showing them.

You are best off looking for a stream here when the PPV is live.

Advertisement