Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭Base price

cute geoge wrote: »
    What price o/p culls on for the coming week?
    I haven't heard yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Waternotsoda

Just spoke to Kepak athleague. I have 6 steers booked in. The cannot take an additional 6, because they have an issue with staff in boning hall. Anybody know a factory looking for 10 aax steers about to go overage!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Look it is what it is. Great to get any killed at all. Other factories won't want to know you as they all have similar staffing issues and won't want to put out their normal suppliers, which is understandable.

The other way to look at it is you are only losing 4c QA bonus over QA underage pre strike price. And you are winning 8c extra on underage cattle killed post strike. Overall you are winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Cattle to go here next week, steers all hitting 30 month mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,239 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I says wrote: »
    Cattle to go here next week, steers all hitting 30 month mark.

Call straight away.

I booked in a lorry load last monday.

Was thinking they'll be ready 3rd week, might be going in then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Danzy wrote: »
    Call straight away.

I booked in a lorry load last monday.

Was thinking they'll be ready 3rd week, might be going in then.

Booked in for next week

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Total Confused.
    5 cattle killed earlier in the week. All just gone overage. Base €3.50
    2 bullocks both 0=3=. One was 348kg the other 343kg
    First paid at €3.62 and the second €3.40
    Am I missing something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Total Confused.
    5 cattle killed earlier in the week. All just gone overage. Base €3.50
    2 bullocks both 0=3=. One was 348kg the other 343kg
    First paid at €3.62 and the second €3.40
    Am I missing something ?

I presume that they are over 30 months. in that case at a base of 3.5/kg it is 3.5-0.18+0.12 giving a price of 0.06 below the base or 3.44/kg

For an O= animal to hit 3.62 they have to be under 30 months and recieve the 10c/kg AA or He bonus or if prices as a heifer at under 30 months Check the age of the breed of that animal. I check the rest of the prices as well

The animal receiving 3.4/kg seems to be prices incorrect.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

I presume that they are over 30 months. in that case at a base of 3.5/kg it is 3.5-0.18+0.12 giving a price of 0.06 below the base or 3.44/kg

For an O= animal to hit 3.62 they have to be under 30 months and recieve the 10c/kg AA or He bonus or if prices as a heifer at under 30 months Check the age of the breed of that animal. I check the rest of the prices as well

Thanks Bass, knew you would have the answer.
    Makes sense alright. One of the 2 was 30 months on the date of slaughter so I must have got that and he would have got the HE bonus also.
    Cant understand why HE bonus isn't shown seperately on the kill sheet.

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Thanks Bass, knew you would have the answer.
    Makes sense alright. One of the 2 was 30 months on the date of slaughter so I must have got that and he would have got the HE bonus also.
    Cant understand why HE bonus isn't shown seperately on the kill sheet.

Sorry looking at it again the one at 3.4 is correct as well, 3.5-.018+0.08(new QA) givers 3.4

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

how are lads booking cattle in.. im just sorry we have a backlog is all i get... I feel a bit like jesus and mary christmas eve looking for somewhere to stay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭kk.man

gerryirl wrote: »
    how are lads booking cattle in.. im just sorry we have a backlog is all i get... I feel a bit like jesus and mary christmas eve looking for somewhere to stay
    It's very difficult. I had two factories on the go and eventually I got one to take them.
    One factory broke their 'promise' two weeks back. No point in falling out with them as these are the times we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

My last 8 went off last monday werk ago. A right mixed bag. Base of 3.45
    One over age lad was never going to amout to much as he hurt is leg 8 or 10 months ago and never thrived.
    Nearly €250 of levies on 8 cattle ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,239 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I booked them all on the first week of October, as the previous ones from booking in the 24th Sept were still around, they were killed the 10th.

Hope a few will go this week but that's only hope

One consolation is they are weighing lead, no ration for finishing this year.

My last 8 went off last monday werk ago. A right mixed bag. Base of 3.45
    One over age lad was never going to amout to much as he hurt is leg 8 or 10 months ago and never thrived.
    Nearly €250 of levies on 8 cattle ffs

Forgot to add this

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Goeasy123

157 of that is haulage so you can hardly complain about that. You buy them in or are they home bred?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Have a few cows to go. Rang agent yesterday. Normally it's drop them up whenever suits. He just said he'd get back to me

Forgot to add this

Great job. You had them nicely done. I recognize that as a kepak killsheet. They didn't dock the top lad for being over 420... which is good!! It's the weight that brings the "big money"
    Also good to see the 4+ getting the 12c as opposed to seeing 0.00

whelan2 wrote: »
    Have a few cows to go. Rang agent yesterday. Normally it's drop them up whenever suits. He just said he'd get back to me

Are these the first you trying to get in since strike ended? Be interesting to see how long it takes to get them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Muckit wrote: »
    Are these the first you trying to get in since strike ended? Be interesting to see how long it takes to get them in.

He rang me back there, Tuesday. He said cattle are hard to get in but cows are different

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    Great job. You had them nicely done. I recognize that as a kepak killsheet. They didn't dock the top lad for being over 420... which is good!! It's the weight that brings the "big money"
    Also good to see the 4+ getting the 12c as opposed to seeing 0.00

Was told that the over 420kg would be alright before they were sent. But that they will be docked for others i send in the spring.

Kepak is right. Was just thinking that i would have over a €1000 more for them animals at a normal base price of 3.80

I dont think well see €4 base in the next 18 months.... and thats optimistic

Was told that the over 420kg would be alright before they were sent. But that they will be docked for others i send in the spring.

Kepak is right. Was just thinking that i would have over a €1000 more for them animals at a normal base price of 3.80

I dont think well see €4 base in the next 18 months.... and thats optimistic

I think Kepak was just giving the 4 months notice of what way they were setting there penalties levels at.

If we have sub 4/kg base for the next 18 months (if that is sub 4 for peak and below 3.5 for Autumn) by 2021 every dairy and AA bred calf will be shot at birth

Slava Ukrainii

I think Kepak was just giving the 4 months notice of what way they were setting there penalties levels at.

If we have sub 4/kg base for the next 18 months (if that is sub 4 for peak and below 3.5 for Autumn) by 2021 every dairy and AA bred calf will be shot at birth

At peak, bullocks base price will be sub €4 for the next 18 months. Thats the reality.

And still, cattle will be reared for it.

At peak, bullocks base price will be sub €4 for the next 18 months. Thats the reality.

And still, cattle will be reared for it.

Most finishers are involved in a high cost finishing system. They are dependent on cheap stores. But there is only so much the cheap store can be. A good few lads were rearing FR bulls to 16-18 months depending on 1.6-1.8/kg a lot of these are not intending on restocking next year. Suckler farmers culled hard over the last 15 months if we have poor spring prices they will cull harder next year.

There are too many finishers dependent on turning over numbers. Costs are rising too fast. From fertlizer to diesel to grain cots. The lad with FR bulls on good land will start finishing a few bullocks. The finisher will not be able to source stock at that sort of base. They are crying at present over the current prices.

Most short term lads are struggling. There a reason why Willfarmer supported the strikes

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭jfh

Is there any sign of this glut of supply coming to an end? Got a couple to kill, 28th months so could hang on to Dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Important to remember though that there is a long cycle time in beef. For suckling especially. From buying a heifer and putting her in calf to halving an animal fit to kill, it could be the most of 3 1/2 years. When lads get out of suckling, the culled cows only add to the queu at the factory.
    Before long there could be a shortage of good quality weanlings and the cycle starts all over again.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Important to remember though that there is a long cycle time in beef. For suckling especially. From buying a heifer and putting her in calf to halving an animal fit to kill, it could be the most of 3 1/2 years. When lads get out of suckling, the culled cows only add to the queu at the factory.
    Before long there could be a shortage of good quality weanlings and the cycle starts all over again.

Maybe Brazilian beef will fill any void in the future ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Got my first 4 away this morning.
    ChxDairy o+ 3+ 468kg
    Hex Suckler o+ 3+ 410kg
    Lmx Suckler r- 3+ 438kg
    Lmx Suckler r+ 4= 400kg
    All under 30mts got docked 10c for heavy lad
    Great proof in the year helped to dull the pain of the bad prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭morphy87

Got my first 4 away this morning.
    ChxDairy o+ 3+ 468kg
    Hex Suckler o+ 3+ 410kg
    Lmx Suckler r- 3+ 438kg
    Lmx Suckler r+ 4= 400ckg
    All under 30mts got docked 10c for heavy lad
    Great proof in the year helped to dull the pain of the bad prices.

Very good weights,when did you buy the chx and what weight was he? And in general how do you find the chx out of dairy cows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

morphy87 wrote: »
    Very good weights,when did you buy the chx and what weight was he? And in general how do you find the chx out of dairy cows?

Ya happy out with weights. He came in a lucky bag of runners, wouldn't have paid any more than 440 for him and the other 3 would be same money or less. He was a horrid looking calf but was long with a good frame and tall. Filled out mighty. Have 2 more like him at the minute so will see how they do. Extremely tall and broad but not going to win any beauty peagants!!:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement