Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Broken property at gym

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭disposableFish

Tara4 wrote: »
    I'm only liable to replace them with a second hand pair of headphones.

That's a totally unreasonable attitude to take about something that's worn on the person.
    endacl wrote: »
    Best cancel that gym membership so.
    If they find out what happened then OP won't need to cancel it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

weights fall in a gym all the time that is a given - she should have secured her items but instead she left the ear phones on the ground.
    she deserves nothing, you should give her nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

paw patrol wrote: »
    she should have secured her items but instead she left the ear phones on the ground.

OP needs to be clear where exactly they were as they were hardly in the middle of the floor.

I leave my stuff beside / under the bench in working on and I make sure they aren't in anyone's way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

This is never going to court so why are you speaking like it will?

You were negligent. It's bad practise to lift unsecured weights, especially if you can't even handle them. You broke someones headphones. Replace them.
    Doesn't matter if they were on the floor. It's common that people leave things on the floor in a gym.

Enough of this sh*te talk of second hand. Just buy her a new set. I wouldn't wear headphone that have been on someone else's head, why should she?

Cop yourself on.

weights fall in a gym all the time that is a given - she should have secured her items but instead she left the ear phones on the ground.
    Only amateurs lift unsecured weights. It's very bad practice.
    Only amateurs accidentally drop weights. You should have a spotter or know what you can lift.

There's a reasonable expectation that people using gym equipment know how to use it. It's probably written on the wall of the gym or in the T&Cs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

You should've blamed her OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

At a push I'd offer a voucher for part payment towards a new pair - how old was the pair she had and why TF would you leave an expensive set of headphones on the floor of a weights room ? Likely to be stepped on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I cant believe this thread....

The girl leaves headphone on ground and they get broken ..... bloody silly ..

OP tell girl your sorry but you leave headphones on your ...uuufghhh HEAD .... give her 10/20 quid and tell her to buy herself some cheap ones for gym ....

It's up to her to look after her own property....

I cant believe this thread....

The girl leaves headphone on ground and they get broken ..... bloody silly ..

OP tell girl your sorry but you leave headphones on your ...uuufghhh HEAD .... give her 10/20 quid and tell her to buy herself some cheap ones for gym ....

It's up to her to look after her own property....

Broken through negligence.

Also we don't know where they were. Benches in my gym are quite close. Nobody walks in between them. Nobody drops weights either.
    If inm put my phone on the ground I'm very sure it's not going to get broken.

Unless someone lifting weights that are too heavy and not clipped and too proud or careless to ask for a spotter happens to stand beside me.

You can spin the story either way. We're just getting one opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Padre_Pio wrote: »

Also we don't know where they were. Benches in my gym are quite close. Nobody walks in between them. Nobody drops weights either.

Unless someone lifting weights that are too heavy and not clipped and too proud or careless to ask for a spotter happens to stand beside me.

Weights get dropped all the time. I don’t think you have ever been in a gym. Every heavy dumbbell set on a bench the dumbbells get dropped.

Every pr heavy deadlift the bar gets dropped.
    There is a deadlift exercise where you start with one plate on each side, you do a rep somebody each side adds a plate and you do another rep, you keep going up until you near fail then the lads start taking a plate off each rep.

It happens with bench press too.

There’s a reasonable expectation that weights will be rolling about and dropping. What if she dropped off the pull-up bar and stumbled onto them or had to drop the weight off her back on a squat?

If you spend a few hundred quid on earphones you shouldn’t leave them on a gym floor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭disposableFish

BDI wrote: »
    Weights get dropped all the time. I don’t think you have ever been in a gym. Every heavy dumbbell set on a bench the dumbbells get dropped.

You're expected to follow reasonable procedures to limit this happening.
    OP didn't follow basic rules and was thus negligent.
    Which is a moot point because...

They admitted responsibility already.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There is a deadlift exercise where you start with one plate on each side, you do a rep somebody each side adds a plate and you do another rep, you keep going up until you near fail then the lads start taking a plate off each rep.

There’s a reasonable expectation that weights will be rolling about and dropping. What if she dropped off the pull-up bar and stumbled onto them or had to drop the weight off her back on a squat?

If you spend a few hundred quid on earphones you shouldn’t leave them on a gym floor.
    Personally think there's a fair bit of bravado to the dropping thing! Weights in question were 5kg! Any gym I've ever been in the heavy stuff is well off out of the way. You still need to check for people being dumb wherever you're doing stuff. It's common sense, good manners and good for H&S as well.

3 examples where weights fall on the floor. None are representative of what happened.
    Assh*les drop weights on purpose.
    Amateurs drop them by accident.

Either way it shouldn't happen and it's irresponsible. Again, there's probably signs in the gym telling people not to drop weights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Dia_Anseo

Have I read correctly that the OP expects the GYMs insurance to pay?

What the heck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Are you assuming that the headphones were 2nd hand?

To thine own self be true

Are you assuming that the headphones were 2nd hand?

I think the assumption is since they're not brand new, they should be replaced by new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I don’t know who is sadder, the op for looking for legal advice, or the posters saying it is the girls fault for leaving earphones on the ground. Phones/earphones are ubiquitous in gyms, if someone damaged them while misusing equipment, common decency should mean you replace them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Dia_Anseo

Dav010 wrote: »
    I don’t know who is sadder, the op for looking for legal advice, or the posters saying it is the girls fault for leaving earphones on the ground. Phones/earphones are ubiquitous in gyms, if someone damaged them while misusing equipment, common decency should mean you replace them.

These are the "people" in our society, the same people that will bang their car door against your brand new car and wonder why you're giving them dirty looks!

I hate them! Wish we could employ Hitleresque punishmnet on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

If you cannot handle the weight get a spotter. You didn’t secure the weight OP and you need to pay up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭joeguevara

What answer are you looking for? She is not going to take a civil case against you so the legal position you asked for is that.

If you want to pay then pay. Theoretically she should be put in the same position as before so if they were battered then that's all she gets. If new then new.

It's your conscience that will determine the outcome. Be cool to go on Judge Judy though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i think both sides are negligent. op should have used the weights properly but the woman left the headphones on the ground

if the op had just stepped back and stood on them would they be responsible. to me no

i would offer 50% of new price and no more . thats even being generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

This is like something I would be saying to my kids “ pick them up or they are going to get broken”

Thank god I don’t go to gyms .... ,, I just stick to good old fashion running and cycling in the mean streets of our land .... saying that cycle insurance is handy to have in case accidents happen in my gym which is known to happen .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

They got broken due to his negligence. He didn't secure them. Wouldn't have been broken by a plate falling off the bar otherwise.
    Replace them.do the right thing

This is like something I would be saying to my kids “ pick them up or they are going to get broken”.

Headphones on the ground is irrelevant IMO. weights shouldn't be dropping off bars.

If the headphones were on a bench they'd likely still get broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Number one rule in the gym- leave personal items in the changing room unless you’re carrying them on your person.

I’ve dropped weights loads of times for various reasons. It’s a place to train and for novices to make mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

Both at fault, if it were me in the OP's position I would offer half the cost of new ones. If it were me in the other person's position, I would be happy with half the cost of new ones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I doubt this minor issue will be resolved through the legal route. It will come down to individual personal responsibility and decency, so only the OP controls the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Only amateurs lift unsecured weights. It's very bad practice.
    Only amateurs accidentally drop weights. You should have a spotter or know what you can lift.

There's a reasonable expectation that people using gym equipment know how to use it. It's probably written on the wall of the gym or in the T&Cs

your point is kinda stupid ..
    amateurs.....?

an example - lets take the bench press.
    a widely accepted practice if benching alone is not to use clips so if you fail you can tip the weights off each side to free yourself. This is safety!
    A good spotter isn't always available...a bad spotter can hurt you.

as for "knowing what you can lift" that comment sounds like common sense but in reality it shows you have little understanding of the human body or lifting weights....people get fail or get injured suddenly on sub maximal lifts all the time...this is a fact of life that you can't always prevent.

I doubt this minor issue will be resolved through the legal route. It will come down to individual personal responsibility and decency, so only the OP controls the outcome.
    Pretty much. The resolution here is hiding in plain site. But I sense the snowflake spirit between both parties.

Mod
    Pls no snowflakery here

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

if you can't control it, you can't lift it.
    deadlift is all the way to the ground

Advertisement