Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tyre inflators at filling stations

• 18-10-2019 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Anyone ever have any issues with inflating their tyres using the filling station inflators?

Tried at two different filling stations and wouldn't work on my car. Had to call roadside assistance, and they said that the machine didn't fit my tyre valves.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭degsie

Did you take the dust caps off? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Valves are standard on all tyres.

what kind of car do you drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,851 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

starWave wrote: »
    Anyone ever have any issues with inflating their tyres using the filling station inflators?

Tried at two different filling stations and wouldn't work on my car. Had to call roadside assistance, and they said that the machine didn't fit my tyre valves.

What type of pump was it? There are some you have to set the pressure first. There is also a lot that don't work because people abuse them.

Buy a 12V battery pump and never worry again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

The "difficulty" I find is that sometimes they're broken and/or functioning incorrectly. The last time I used one, of the electronic automated variety (you set the desired pressure, connect the pipe to the valve and it inflates to it automatically), it kept misreading the pressure and letting out air - in the end I had to let it completely deflate the tire and re-inflate to pressure with the "puncture" mode (which, oddly, read pressure correctly).

But I've never found one that "doesn't fit the valve" as they are, as said, standard. .

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭starWave

Both were the type that you set the pressure, and it turns off when it reaches that pressure. The forecourt/shop assistants couldn't get it to work either.

The mechanic said it didn't fit my valves but his 12v pump worked fine. Must buy one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Both were the type that you set the pressure, and it turns off when it reaches that pressure. The forecourt/shop assistants couldn't get it to work either.

The mechanic said it didn't fit my valves but his 12v pump worked fine. Must buy one.

Yeah they were broken - they look pretty solid, but somehow people manage to break the pressure sensing spring in them. No idea how. Was a common problem with the old manual ones with the "align the two lines" pressure gauges as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Can anyone recommend a decent pump then? Options in my immediate area are limited and the one that is there I don't think is calibrated right as it was over-inflating when checked with a different machine near the office

Something I can just hook up at the door (preferably with the same cut-off function if possible?) would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Remouad wrote: »
    Valves are standard on all tyres.

what kind of car do you drive?

One from an alternative universe, where August Schrader was never born.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a decent pump then? Options in my immediate area are limited and the one that is there I don't think is calibrated right as it was over-inflating when checked with a different machine near the office

Something I can just hook up at the door (preferably with the same cut-off function if possible?) would be great.

Search for Ring tyre inflator on Amazon. I have the analogue one, works perfectly off the cigarette charger. I had the digital one previously, also worked perfectly until I dropped it!

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

You can get them in Argos or any motor factors for about €10. For auto stop you need to spend a bit more. Once you don't buy from a dodgy website then they will be accurate enough for road use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Check Lidl. They had a metal one recently on offer for €17 which looked quality. It may still be in stock in some stores. You can ring customer service and they can tell you if any local stores have stock.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

I got the Air Hawk Pro, there are other cheaper options, but this does the job for me anyway.

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7648647/Trail/searchtext%3ETYRE+INFLATOR.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What car is it?
    I'd get the standard valves instead.
    Tyre valves are easily replaced by a professional for next-to-nothing money.

biko wrote: »
    What car is it?
    I'd get the standard valves instead.
    Tyre valves are easily replaced by a professional for next-to-nothing money.

More than likely the compressor wasn't working if they managed to pump with another airline or could have been some gunk in the valve that moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, that's why I'm so intrigued. All regular cars have the same valves.
    It's not like bikes that can have either Presta or Schrader valves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

One thing to remember when using the 12v compressors is to keep your engine running when your using it.
    I've been called out loads of times to punctures and flat batteries after they've tried pumping the tyre with the engine off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,375 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Different valves?

Never heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

jimbis wrote: »
    One thing to remember when using the 12v compressors is to keep your engine running when your using it.
    I've been called out loads of times to punctures and flat batteries after they've tried pumping the tyre with the engine off.

I find running the engine, seems to give more juice to the compressor also!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭corks finest

Search for Ring tyre inflator on Amazon. I have the analogue one, works perfectly off the cigarette charger. I had the digital one previously, also worked perfectly until I dropped it!

Bought one in Lidl absolutely rubbish lasted 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

That was an achievement as Lidl didn't sell them.

Ring are well reviewed everywhere.

Also, I'd only use mine about twice in three months so maybe you should blow up your rubber duck or whatever with a hand pump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I would recommend a good old-fashioned footpump. In particular this one (got it myself)
    https://www.halfords.ie/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/tyre-inflators-pressure-gauges/michelin-digital-double-barrel-footpump

The double barrel action means it's at least as fast as an affordable compressor, the digital gauge on it is really accurate (unlike the guess-o-meter on most compressors) and because it's foot powered it will work anywhere, anytime without the annoying racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Most likely it was an Aldi pump.

My one was able to pump 14 inch wheels but gave up with 16 inch I have now.
    A the end I gave it to my colleague and he is ok using it with a mopped.

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

peasant wrote: »
    I would recommend a good old-fashioned footpump. In particular this one (got it myself)
    https://www.halfords.ie/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/tyre-inflators-pressure-gauges/michelin-digital-double-barrel-footpump

The double barrel action means it's at least as fast as an affordable compressor, the digital gauge on it is really accurate (unlike the guess-o-meter on most compressors) and because it's foot powered it will work anywhere, anytime without the annoying racket.

Manual ones are great. Do it once a week and there's little to no pumping required.

peasant wrote: »

Your pumping a car tyre so there'll be power for a electric pump, so an electric pump will always work when you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

I use this, reduced to £30 with voucher, no faffing about
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/GHB-Inflator-Portable-Compressor-Rechargeable/dp/B0734QJR7M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If you're ever really stuck a bike pump also works. I used my floor pump with pressure gauge on my sister's car when she had a slow puncture. Didn't take too long either. If you're ever really stuck if course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

A foot pump is what you want. Halfords double barrel foot pump for a 10er is spot on. No faffing about it just works.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭starWave

I guess I have the standard valve, but was wondering as the mechanic said the machine didn't fit my car. I guess the air machine was damaged as some have suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

I have this Michelin one which pumps from flat in 4mins.
    Used it over a dozen times already. No problems.

Can get it in Halfords as well. Check stock online for your local store.

Michelin High Power Tyre Inflator Pump Electric Air Compressor 12V Display 12265 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00XELZ94Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_W4fRDbEPX88XX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Good exercise! https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/park-tool-home-mechanic-floor-pump-pfp-8/rp-prod142355
    Works fine on my car, unlike cheap Aldi crap that broke after a few months. Gauge is quite vague though, so I use a separate digital gauge.

Advertisement