Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What was this Irish kids comic from the 80's?

• 09-10-2018 9:46am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

I asked about this already in All Things Retro with no joy so wondering if anyone can help. Does anyone else of a certain age remember an Irish comic aimed at children that was launched circa 83/84? I never actually saw it for sale but I remember seeing it advertised and reading something in the paper about it at the time. It had some kind of Celtic theme to it and the cover on the copy I saw advertised had a sort of big hairy monster character who looked a bit like a cross between the Honey Monster and Soky from the Den. I'm certain it wasn't Sproai or Siamsia or those school magazines. I have a feeling it had a short shelf life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,296 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

the only one I remember was the Irish version of Viz which I can't remember the name of

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Skerries wrote: »
    the only one I remember was the Irish version of Viz which I can't remember the name of

That was 'Fitz' but that was 1990s.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Skerries wrote: »
    Aglomerado wrote: »
    That was 'Fitz' but that was 1990s.

No, deffo wasn't that. It was definitely aimed at children. I would have been about ten when it came out so no later than 84/85. From what I remember of the write up of it at the time it was meant to be an Irish take on Dandy,Beano etc but with characters from Irish mythology, Setanta etc. Along with the monster on the cover that I remember I think there might have been cartoon monks as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Found it! Had a look through some flea markets and second hand shops in Cork where I've seen comics for sale in the past and there it was sitting in a window. The Big Boys Annual published by Playprint of Dublin. I don't know if it was sold solely as an annual or if it was a weekly or monthly comic, my original memories of it suggested it was, but it could have been a one off.

463561.jpg

463562.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I remember that. Think I had it as well, or it was in our class library.
    Though I would've been 3 in 1984, or 2 if it released end of 83

• Advertisement
Advertisement