Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2013 Cooking Club week 26: Chocolate Biscuit Cake

• 07-07-2013 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,489 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Chocolate biscuit cake has loads of different styles. The easiest way to make them is to crush a load of biscuit, mix with melted chocolate and leave to set. But I always prefer the elaborate way of doing things. This is a recipe I stole from my aunt, who is a very talented baker.

Ingredients

225g butter
    110g caster sugar
    1 packet rich tea biscuits (pref McVities or Aldi)
    200g regular chocolate (plain or 70%, whichever you prefer)
    4 tablespoons Cadburys drinking chocolate
    1 large egg

Method

1) Prepare your baking tin (standard 2lb loaf tin) by lining it with parchment/baking paper and breaking the packet of rich tea.
    2) Melt the butter in a saucepan at low to low/medium heat. Once melted, add the sugar and stir through. Keep it agitated until all the sugar has dissolved and a silky caramel has formed.
    3) Once the caramel has formed, take the pan off the heat and continue stirring for 1-2 mins (or until all bubbling has ceased). Crack the beat the egg in a bowl and add to the caramel, stirring through quickly. You need to make sure that the caramel is cool enough that the egg doesn't scramble, but still warm enough that the egg will cook. The steps outlined here is a rule of thumb that works for me.
    4) Add the drinking chocolate and 100g of the regular chocolate to the caramel. Stir through until everything is a chocolatey brown mix.
    5) Add the crushed biscuits and fold everything together. Try to coat as many of the biscuits as possible with chocolate. Unload into the tin and crush down the top with something flat (I use another tin).
    6) Melt the remaining 100g of chocolate in the microwave (30 second intervals with a quick stir to prevent burning) and spread across the top. Set aside to cool and chill in the fridge overnight.

Prep work:

20130706_191614_zps375dfa8b.jpg

20130706_191639_zps70d479c3.jpg

20130706_191516_zps43051970.jpg

Butter and sugar turns to caramel:

20130706_192340_zps30fa4b90.jpg

20130706_192538_zpsc6824dd6.jpg

Egg and chocolate mixed with caramel:

20130706_193123_zps65e544ac.jpg

Ready to set. Also known as spoon licking time:

20130706_194814_zpsc20c883c.jpg

Ready to eat:

20130707_130504_zpse4b95e53.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The lens flare on the second last picture is a nice touch. Biscuit Cake by JJ Abrams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

That looks lovely OP. Do you think digestive biscuits would work at all? I'm not really a fan of Rich Tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

That looks lovely OP. Do you think digestive biscuits would work at all? I'm not really a fan of Rich Tea.
    I was wondering the same thing along with possibly adding pulverised digestives and some sultanas steeped in rum.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I always use digestives, and a few ginger nuts :) digestives work fine

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Lighter

marietta biscuits ftw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭nhg

The mini marshmallows in aldi are lovely mixed through Chocolate Biscuit cake, think its then called Rocky Road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

ChewChew wrote: »
    I always use digestives, and a few ginger nuts :) digestives work fine

Ooooooooh me like this idea. Would ginger nuts not be too hard though, or do they slightly soften when baked?
    Either way I'll give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 17,489 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I also prefer digestives in general. I've tried them before, but it ends up being a bit too dry and crumbly IMO. I also tried a rich tea digestive hybrid which was ok.
    ChewChew wrote: »
    a few ginger nuts :) digestives work fine
    Never thought of that. I'd imagine it would be a pain to slice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I have just made these and they are in the fridge cooling. I have this problem where I can't follow a recipe without changing something. This time it occurred in the very first instruction:

"Line a loaf tin..."
    "A loaf tin? Nah, I'll use my square cake tin, that'll be better."

:pac:

Also my egg scrambled a bit but I picked some bits out and I think I'll get away with it as I added some mini-marshmallows to the mix and sure, who'd know the difference? Yes, that was my second change. And uh, I also used digestives....:o

Cannot wait to try them, I adore CBC, it's my favourite thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

most people use digestives and cherries. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Made this today ... soooo good! :)

I used melted Golden Crisp for the topping, yum! And I went with a mixture of Digestives and Rich Tea.

Not very pretty. :o But tasted amazing!

(By the way I had to go with two 1lb loaf tins, as I had no 2lb tin ... which is why it looks so small!!)

1gvt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I will find those people who put cherries in their chocolate biscuit cake. I will find them and I will kill them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I will find those people who put cherries in their chocolate biscuit cake. I will find them and I will kill them.

And nuts. Take that healthy crap to the gluten-free stand at the farmer's market :mad: I came here to enjoy my CBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Larry Bee

Instead of cherries, I chopped up a Crunchie and tossed it in with a couple of Maltesers. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Larry Bee wrote: »
    Instead of cherries, I chopped up a Crunchie and tossed it in with a couple of Maltesers. :p

Excellent choice :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Ginger nuts are always in my CBC and they actually cut fine, but when i put it all in the tin and smooth it out, i leave it at room temp for about 10 mins and then I score it so it makes it easier to slice. My newest addition has been a bar of mint crisp. Oh holy good jaysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Made this on Saturday. Probably could have / should have loaded more chocolate to the base and broken the rich tea more but that's all my fault. Very tasty though! Thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Made these yesterday afternoon but realised that it has to be chilled overnight. Darn.
    Anyway, took it out of the fridge first thing this morning. I was determined to have a slice for breakkie.
    Doesn't quite have the shine as OP's.
    045_zps001d7294.jpg

As I peeled the parchment away, it looked like something from Kryptonite.
    046_zpscddceb68.jpg

When sliced, it began to look promising...
    047_zps80fe4435.jpg

And once I tasted it, my oh my...
    I guarantee this will be gone by tea time today.
    Thanks OP. This was a good recipe. I'd love to try ones with ginger nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Made these yesterday afternoon but realised that it has to be chilled overnight. Darn.
    Anyway, took it out of the fridge first thing this morning. I was determined to have a slice for breakkie.
    Putting chocolate into the fridge to set always results in the chocolate loosing its shine. Best to let it set at room temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Mrs Fox wrote: »

As I peeled the parchment away, it looked like something from Kryptonite.

And once I tasted it, my oh my...
    I guarantee this will be gone by tea time today.
    Thanks OP. This was a good recipe. I'd love to try ones with ginger nuts.

Looks amazing - all that thick chocolate...mmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

made this today.....absolutely epic, went down a storm.

Nicely tempered 85% to go on top :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 _gossip_girl_

Did anyone heard about recipe with condensate milk?
    Yesterday I've tried this cake on party but chocolate was kind of soft'ish
    I was wondering how to make it this way, not completely hard? Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Made this for a hen this weekend, it was amazing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭cw girl

Do I need to melt the chocolate before I put it into the caramel or it melts in caramel? Thanks

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

(Hope it's ok to post here, I know it's an old thread)

I make it with bitter cocoa:

2 large egg yolks
    2 tbsp sugar
    150gr melted butter (unsalted)
    2 tbsp bitter cocoa (sieved) - NOT hot chocolate powder
    5 tbsp sherry (or other - I use Marsala instead)
    200gr Rich Tea biscuits
    a pinch of salt.

Beat the eggs, the salt and the sugar together until light and fluffy. Stir in the cocoa powder, then add the melted butter, stir well and add the sherry. Then stir in the biscuits chopped up/reduced to crumbs and mix until combined. Pour onto some parchment paper or cling film, shape it into a roll, and keep it in the fridge for at least two hours, better if until nice and firm. Cut it into slices half a centimetre thick and serve. If you like, to make it softer, you can use whole eggs instead of just the egg yolks, and you can add chopped nuts or chocolate chips or raisins to the mix.

If you shape the mixture into little balls you can turn them into truffles by rolling them in cocoa or icing sugar, or by dipping them into melted chocolate.

Advertisement