Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Broken property at gym

• 19-10-2019 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I was working out in the gym today and it appears that through my own negligence I may have damaged a Spanish girls beats headphones.

I was doing a bicep curl with a bar and I couldn't find any weight pins for the bar. I tried lifting without the pins and the weights fell and possibly damaged the headphones.

I'm wondering what position this leaves me in legally ? I gave the girl my number and she said she would charge the headphones and tell me whether they were working.

I've watched enough judge Judy to know that I possibly have to make this girl 'whole'. By that I mean I might have to replace these headphones with ones of commiserate value ie. Second hand beats headphones.

If this girl gives me proof that the headphones are broken. I will need proof that she has tried to repair them. Or indeed written proof that they are beyond repair.

What position am I in legally? Should I expect the gym's insurance to cover it ? How much for a second hand pair of beats headphones ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Tara4 wrote: »
    Should I expect the gym's insurance to cover it ? How much for a second hand pair of beats headphones ?

What planet are you on :confused: if they're broken as a result of you dropping weights on them then do the right thing and buy her a new pair (ie. brand new from a retailer).

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cockadoodledoo

I was working out in the gym today and it appears that through my own negligence I may have damaged a Spanish girls beats headphones.

I was doing a bicep curl with a bar and I couldn't find any weight pins for the bar. I tried lifting without the pins and the weights fell and possibly damaged the headphones.

I'm wondering what position this leaves me in legally ? I gave the girl my number and she said she would charge the headphones and tell me whether they were working.

I've watched enough judge Judy to know that I possibly have to make this girl 'whole'. By that I mean I might have to replace these headphones with ones of commiserate value ie. Second hand beats headphones.

If this girl gives me proof that the headphones are broken. I will need proof that she has tried to repair them. Or indeed written proof that they are beyond repair.

What position am I in legally? Should I expect the gym's insurance to cover it ? How much for a second hand pair of beats headphones ?

Thanks

Where were the headphones?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Your lucky it wasnt someone's foot. Why did you continue without the plates being secure?

Just help her get new headphones if they are broken and get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭mayota

Thanks

If you broke the headphones have a bit of respect for yourself and buy the girl a new set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

I wouldn’t if the headphones were laying on the ground. Only if they were actually on her person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Tara4

Where were the headphones?

They were on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yeah just replace them and stay away from shouting lawyer. Things like this happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Was she good looking? This could make the difference...

Mod
    Pls stay on topic or stay off the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cockadoodledoo

They were on the floor.

Both to blame in my opinion. They shouldn’t have been left on the floor either.

It’s a gym. Heavy weights get lifted and fall about. Pisses me off when I see people leave phones on the floor beside a rack of plates.

• Advertisement

Your lucky it wasnt someone's foot. Why did you continue without the plates being secure?

Just help her get new headphones if they are broken and get over it.

Actually they were only 5 kg weights. It's pretty unlikely they would have damaged anyone's foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Pretty straightforward. You went and lifted weights without the pin. With the pin in and her earphones being on the floor, they wouldn't have gotten broken.

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    What planet are you on :confused: if they're broken as a result of you dropping weights on them then do the right thing and buy her a new pair (ie. brand new from a retailer).

Yeah thanks. But unfortunately for her I'm not father Christmas. If I broke a second hand pair of headphones I'm only liable to replace them with a second hand pair of headphones.

I was recently made unemployed so money is an issue.

Don’t offer anything. Her fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Both to blame in my opinion. They shouldn’t have been left on the floor either.
    Nah, you've got to secure your weights. I'd also say you check the area around you for stupid behaviour like this. You might say something about it but you're at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Actually they were only 5 kg weights. It's pretty unlikely they would have damaged anyone's foot.

Drop one on your foot the next day you're in the gym and let us know

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Who leaves headphones on the floor?
    Anyone could have walked on them.

If they are cheap enough, the offer to replace is a nice gesture.

If they are a couple of hundred that the OP doesn't have, I sure wouldn't be forking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,651 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Yeah thanks. But unfortunately for her I'm not father Christmas. If I broke a second hand pair of headphones I'm only liable to replace them with a second hand pair of headphones.

If the person bought them second-hand, then they’re a second-hand pair of headphones. If the person bought them new, then they’re not second-hand. Either way you’ve already admitted liability so you’re responsible for compensating her for the value of the headphones, however much that may cost you. Your own personal financial circumstances are irrelevant - you broke something belonging to someone else which was entirely your own fault through your own carelessness in not securing the equipment you were using.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I've broken bones in my foot from a1l glass bottle, weighs a lot less than 5kg

If the person bought them second-hand, then they’re a second-hand pair of headphones. If the person bought them new, then they’re not second-hand. Either way you’ve already admitted liability so you’re responsible for compensating her for the value of the headphones, however much that may cost you. Your own personal financial circumstances are irrelevant - you broke something belonging to someone else which was entirely your own fault through your own carelessness in not securing the equipment you were using.

I'm taking it that you're not a lawyer. AFAIK I don't legally have to replace second hand for new. Also the fact they were on the floor create extenuating circumstances.

I'll replace like with like but if she demands a new pair. She can take me to small claims court and we'll let a judge sort it out.

• Advertisement

You've already admitted that the headphones were broken as a result of your negligence :confused:

And how do you know how long she's owned the headphones? If she bought them earlier this week would you still consider them to be second hand?
    Tara4 wrote:

You've been unemployed for a good while now but has that prevented you from buying cannabis since you were sacked? You damaged someone elses property as a result of a stupid decision you made - why do you think the owner of the headphones (or the gym's insurance company) should pay for the damage caused by your stupidity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

through my own negligence I damaged a girls beats headphones

If it were yours that was damaged , would you expect the person who broke them to be replaced.

I think so and with a new ones

Have you googled the headphones.....model and cost.

It seems you want to try to find away to avoid replacing them....that's what Judge Judy would say ..... you broke them , you replace them.

I'll replace like with like but if she demands a new pair. She can take me to small claims court and we'll let a judge sort it out.

Easy to know you haven't got much going on. You can put everything you've learned from watching Judge Judy into practice, let us know how it goes.

Mod
    Pls be nice here

• Registered Users Posts: 23,651 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I'm taking it that you're not a lawyer. AFAIK I don't legally have to replace second hand for new. Also the fact they were on the floor create extenuating circumstances.

You’re looking for legal advice in a forum where posters aren’t permitted either to seek legal advice, or give legal advice. I wasn’t giving legal advice, I was giving you practical advice - you’ve admitted you’re responsible for damaging another person’s property, and no amount of waffle about extenuating circumstances is going to overcome that fact. That’s your question asked and answered.

As for how much replacing the value of the property you have admitted to damaging already will cost you, that’s anyone’s guess really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭duffman13

[B[I'll replace like with like but if she demands a new pair. She can take me to small claims court and we'll let a judge sort it out.[/B]

Tbh if it was me and you said that to me id go the small claims court, you won't win.

As for the rest of your post, you might wanna seek legal advice which will cost about the same as a new pair of headphones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Dia_Anseo

If I were the OP I would replce the earphone pronto but without liability and get the Spanish girl to sign a declaration that she cannot pursue for further damages.

The earphones could have been a family airloom passed to the Spanish girl from her mother on her dying bed. The Spanish girl could rightfully pursue the OP for compensation for trauma, days off work as a result of this trauma and further ancillary costs that could easily run into 10's of thousands of euro, just because the OP wouldn't replce the 125 euro earphones.

Mod
    Steady on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

If she had headphones nobody else ever wore you replace them with the same model of headphones that nobody else has ever worn. There's no way I'd wear headphones someone else had worn.

To me is somewhat depends on where the headphones were. If they were under or in the immediate vacinity of the machine she was using then it's your fault, if they were out in the middle of nowhere far away from her you might have a case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

You can’t leave stuff on the floor. Where people lift weights. What if you finished your set and put the bar down on them.

Earphones go in ears or in pockets. What if I left my earphones beside Pavel when he is removing a brick wall on a building site? Should Pavel buy me new headphones?

Would Usain Bolt have to buy me new headphones if I left them on the finishing line?

I have deadlifted and benched without the pins in a million times, it’s fairly common.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Wanting to replace someone's earphones with second hand ones says it all really. Would the op buy a 2nd hand hairbrush, toothbrush, underwear for herself ?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Best cancel that gym membership so. You could spend the time you used to spend there taking a long hard look at yourself.

Mod
    Pls be civil here

Advertisement