Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-11-2018, 07:34   #16
ParkRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxiant View Post
Less trains isn't the answer. Two new DART lines need to be created to Pearse via tunnels from Heuston and Docklands taking Maynooth and PPT trains out of the Connolly bottleneck. After that quad tracking the northern line would be another hugely positive step in improving transport in the city.

We've finally got our suburban rail network running to a half decent frequency for a city the size of Dublin. Reducing frequency would be a backwards step - now it's time to push on improving infrastructure.
The new frequency is great but is just leading to congestion and slower speeds rather than a decent service. Quad tracking the northern line would be ideal but I’m not aware of any proposal to develop this. Are there any plans to develop new DART lines to Pearse?
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
09-11-2018, 10:42   #17
thomond2006

Will the PPT service ever connect to Cork/Limerick intercity trains?
09-11-2018, 11:01   #18
SeeMoreBut

Issue I see with PPT is the connection time to a Heuston service is bad a lot of the time. 20+ minutes connection time is awful.

5-10 minutes should be more than enough. e.g. 15.20 from GCD leaves you with a 25 minute wait in Hazelhatch or just go to Heuston for the same train at 16.20

40 minute window from 7:36 to 8.15 from Hazelhatch but that one is 20 minutes before and after these where one the middle would suit people in work for 9
Thanks from:
09-11-2018, 13:59   #19
thomasj

Would this be a better option for Northern users, if it was to come to pass?
https://www.independent.ie/regionals...-36905255.html

I think the Broombridge LUAS and the new timetable will be a great thing for Maynooth line users and I think connectivity-wise, a metro connection would be brilliant for the Northern line.
(2) thanks from:
09-11-2018, 20:11   #20
bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashers72 View Post
I think IE need to reverse out the journey time increases in both the Sept and proposed Dec timetable, and bring back the journey times in operation for the past 20 years I used it. Each year they just become more uncompetitive. But with NTA having no interesr in representing Northern Suburban line customers we just have to suck it up.
And yet this year more people will travel on Irish Rail and this line then any time in the history of rail in Ireland!

The simple reality is, the more services you have and the fuller the trains, the slower it will become (longer dwell times at stations, more congestion at junctions, etc.).

Carrying more people is more important then carrying less people faster. It isn't like you'd do any better by driving, the traffic congestion is even worse!

Of course we should be hurrying up with the Dart Expansion plans, which should help speed things up. Electric trains have faster acceleration, close junctions, triple and quad tracking and of course DU in the long term.

But those will likely take a decade or more, in the mean time they will have to try and just carry as many people as they can with what they have available.

People often complain that rains were faster 30 years ago, while forgetting to note that the rail network carries almost 3 times as many people today as it did 30 years ago.
Advertisement
09-11-2018, 20:14   #21
bk

These changes are very welcome, in particular the big improvements off peak and weekends. It finally turns these routes into a proper all day, all week service and not just a peak time commuter service.

This sort of change was badly needed to maximise the use of these valuable resources we have in the rail routes. Hopefully we will see the same big increase in offpeak and weekend frequencies on the bus routes with BusConnects.
09-11-2018, 20:44   #22
L1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk View Post
Hopefully we will see the same big increase in offpeak and weekend frequencies on the bus routes with BusConnects.
They are proposing to cut the offpeak and weekend frequencies to Celbridge, surreally. Those buses are already full with most pax being Celbridge-bound (I have occasionally been the only one left after Salesians!)

The early service may get me out of the car for occasional times I need to be in work for 730; plenty of others need to do it more often than me and could definitely be converted. As peak traffic problems get earlier and earlier, getting people off the roads then is certainly worthwhile.
(2) thanks from:
12-11-2018, 09:26   #23
naughtb4

Are they planning on changing the Northern./Maynooth weekend trains not going to Pearse at any stage? or is this the new normal for these lines?

It makes me an awful lot less inclined to venture into town at the weekend
Thanks from:
12-11-2018, 09:30   #24
thomasj

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughtb4 View Post
Are they planning on changing the Northern./Maynooth weekend trains not going to Pearse at any stage? or is this the new normal for these lines?

I don't think so but I can get used to tHe Maynooth line with the Luas connection at Broombridge, I'd be probably more inclined to use that if I was going south of Connolly.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-11-2018, 09:38   #25
naughtb4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasj View Post
I don't think so but I can get used to tHe Maynooth line with the Luas connection at Broombridge, I'd be probably more inclined to use that if I was going south of Connolly.
I asked on Twitter, this is a permanent change

Very disappointing

Last edited by naughtb4; 12-11-2018 at 11:49.
(2) thanks from:
12-11-2018, 13:25   #26
n97 mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughtb4 View Post

The loss of service to Pearse at weekends makes the bus from Leixlip quicker for me if I'm going to city centre (e.g. Westmoreland St area).

The M3 Parkway branch has lost a lot of attractiveness. 3 trains to get to Tara. Google maps is now not recommending the train at all for this journey from Dunboyne as the 70 is apparently quicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasj View Post
I've only done it once. Wait time for connecting Luas was around 10 minutes and then Broombridge to Trinity took 30 minutes (traffic was bad). This is really poor compared to a through train to Tara, and even a properly timed connection in Connolly would beat it. EDIT: it's also more expensive. Adds €2.50 (cash) or 77c (Leap) to the cost.

I'm also seeing people on twitter going for the last connecting DART of the night, finding it's running late, and when they get to Connolly the last Maynooth train is gone. IE said if the connecting DART is running late they'll hold the Maynooth train, which doesn't seem always to be the case.

Last edited by n97 mini; 12-11-2018 at 13:45.
13-11-2018, 09:08   #27
Unshelved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashers72 View Post
Re Northern Suburban line:
1. All morning time inbound journey times were increased in the Sept timetable. In the proposed December timetable, they are not planning to fix that. In fact, they have either left the longer journey times the same, or in fact have increased the journey times again on 3 of the 8 inbound suburban trains.
2. In the evening outbound in the Sept timetable they increased journey time of 3 of the 7 trains. In the December timetable they are now increasing journey time on 5 of the 7 trains v's Sept.
3. Re morning and evening peak trains on Sat - they scapped all the direct to/from Pearse and Tara St. While they have reversed 1 of the trains they removed from the pre Sept timetable, and now run that right through to Pearse, but I think they should rethink all the service cuts. And all still removed from the evening timetable. The transfer times to the DART are still very long, in Connolly with journeys still up to 30% longer to Pearse.
I think IE need to reverse out the journey time increases in both the Sept and proposed Dec timetable, and bring back the journey times in operation for the past 20 years I used it. Each year they just become more uncompetitive. But with NTA having no interesr in representing Northern Suburban line customers we just have to suck it up.
From a Northern Commuter perspective, I can understand that our journey is slowed down due to more frequent Darts (although why Malahide Darts always seem to be scheduled just ahead of southbound Northern Commuter trains in the evening is a mystery to me) - slowing the service down even further by stopping at stations already served by the Dart is a real sickener. It's just picking up the slack of a dysfunctional Dart timetable.

Furthermore, for those of us who work at weekends, or outside peak-time commuter hours, lack of service to southside stations is adding about 20 minutes each way to the commute.

The Northern Suburban Line has long been the poor relation of the Dublin rail service - and it will only get worse as we return to unrestricted building along the railway line through Dublin, Meath and Louth, and increased passenger numbers. Not Irish Rail's fault - but they could show a little bit more consideration towards those passengers - especially at weekends and outside rush-hour.
13-11-2018, 11:45   #28
ixoy

Send a message via MSN to ixoy
The survey form doesn't even have an option for DART customers so I presume they're only looking for feedback on the new changes but have no interest in asking about the recent mess they've made in September?
Thanks from:
13-11-2018, 18:39   #29
Decuc500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixoy View Post
The survey form doesn't even have an option for DART customers so I presume they're only looking for feedback on the new changes but have no interest in asking about the recent mess they've made in September?
Doesn't surprise me in the least. There is a real suck it up attitude to dart users. It's now a totally inadequate rush hour service and it's not going to get better any time soon.
(3) thanks from:
22-11-2018, 07:51   #30
Colonel Claptrap

Noticed a few people with clipboards counting passengers at Pearse this morning.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion