Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-11-2018, 13:07   #16
Hilly Bill

When did he stop the meter at €10? At the end destination or when your friend got out?
Advertisement
06-11-2018, 13:27   #17
Raichu
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilly Bill View Post
When did he stop the meter at €10? At the end destination or when your friend got out?
That’s neither here nor there, you pay what the meter says.
Thanks from:
06-11-2018, 21:50   #18
Mr.Frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardman View Post
No receipt.. don't pay. It must be printed not written. If a taxi driver ripped up my receipt I wouldn't be paying him.
Not true
06-11-2018, 22:04   #19
wizardman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Frame View Post
Not true
Oh it's very true.
(2) thanks from:
06-11-2018, 22:07   #20
Spook_ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Frame View Post
Not true

Tend to agree with this, not providing a receipt is covered in the taxi regulator's remit, not paying would be covered by the criminal theft act, making off without payment.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2...nacted/en/html
Advertisement
06-11-2018, 22:37   #21
wizardman

If you pay for something you are entitled to a receipt. A taxi is no different. The driver MUST provide you with a printed receipt.

I never said make off or run away. But you can refuse to pay unless you get a receipt. I will pay you for your service when you provide a receipt.

Its a civil matter which the Gardai will be reluctant and can't really get involved in.

Think of someone who needs a receipt for expenses etc. Their employer won't reimburse the employee unless they have a receipt.
06-11-2018, 23:09   #22
Spook_ie

Quote:
If you pay for something you are entitled to a receipt. A taxi is no different. The driver MUST provide you with a printed receipt.

I never said make off or run away. But you can refuse to pay unless you get a receipt. I will pay you for your service when you provide a receipt.

Its a civil matter which the Gardai will be reluctant and can't really get involved in.

Think of someone who needs a receipt for expenses etc. Their employer won't reimburse the employee unless they have a receipt.
Correct and if he can't the taxi regulator can fine him, however, the law is quite specific on making off without payment, which is exactly what you are proposing you should do. Suppose you just happen to be the first passenger the driver takes AFTER his printer breaks he isn't going to know until he comes to print the receipt if you were to not pay because of that I'd fancy my chances at getting you a criminal record under the Theft Act
Thanks from:
06-11-2018, 23:37   #23
Losty Dublin

Quote:

Its a civil matter which the Gardai will be reluctant and can't really get involved in. .
Not getting a receipt upon request is an offence, which is initially a fixed penalty offence under taxi bye laws.

However, not getting a taxi receipt does not absolve you from paying a taxi fare. Non payment of a taxi fare is a criminal offence, see here. It is most certainly not a civil matter; a quick web search will bring up cases of prosecutions for same in the District Courts
(2) thanks from:
07-11-2018, 00:04   #24
Raichu
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook_ie View Post
Correct and if he can't the taxi regulator can fine him, however, the law is quite specific on making off without payment, which is exactly what you are proposing you should do. Suppose you just happen to be the first passenger the driver takes AFTER his printer breaks he isn't going to know until he comes to print the receipt if you were to not pay because of that I'd fancy my chances at getting you a criminal record under the Theft Act
A written receipt. Driver number and signature. Simple enough process.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
07-11-2018, 00:08   #25
Hilly Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaichuMGS View Post
That’s neither here nor there, you pay what the meter says.
It does. If the meter said €10 when you dropped the mate off and you carried on a bit further then what's the beef of paying the extra?
07-11-2018, 00:13   #26
Spook_ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daspendy View Post
Hey,

<snipped>  They told the driver to pull over closish to their home which he did, but he stopped the meter which displayed €10 or so but asked us for €15 we asked why he said its because our friend got out along the way.  <snipped>
Quote:
It does. If the meter said €10 when you dropped the mate off and you carried on a bit further then what's the beef of paying the extra?
It would appear from the OP that the meter read €10 or so
07-11-2018, 00:18   #27
Spook_ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaichuMGS View Post
A written receipt. Driver number and signature. Simple enough process.
Correct, however the Wizardman is suggesting that you need not pay, as Losty pointed out not issuing a printed receipt is an offence, declining to produce a written receipt is also likely to compound the offence but neither of those would be a criminal offence which refusing to pay would be.

The only recourse open I suspect, is to remain calm and avoid a slanging match and request that the Garda attend or that you be taken to a Garda station, you will be obliged to pay the fare but you will have a Garda witness that they wouldn't/couldn't provide a receipt
07-11-2018, 00:40   #28
Hilly Bill

Quote:
It would appear from the OP that the meter read €10 or so
I know, not clear if it was €10 to the friends house and then they went further. Meter stayed at €10 for the rest of the journey?
07-11-2018, 01:47   #29
Spook_ie

Quote:
I know, not clear if it was €10 to the friends house and then they went further. Meter stayed at €10 for the rest of the journey?

AFAIK if you press stop on the meter it suspends the time element and defaults to distance mode only i.e if you stop it at €10 then drive 5km it will tot up the 5km as distance and read somewhere like €17, but if you stopped it on €10 and sat there for 20 minutes it wouldn't increase, well on mine that's how it works anyway.
07-11-2018, 11:10   #30
wizardman

Quote:
Correct, however the Wizardman is suggesting that you need not pay, as Losty pointed out not issuing a printed receipt is an offence, declining to produce a written receipt is also likely to compound the offence but neither of those would be a criminal offence which refusing to pay would be.

The only recourse open I suspect, is to remain calm and avoid a slanging match and request that the Garda attend or that you be taken to a Garda station, you will be obliged to pay the fare but you will have a Garda witness that they wouldn't/couldn't provide a receipt
Hang on, I never said don't pay. So don't misquote me. I clearly said don't make off or run away. A printed receipt must be provided.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion