Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-11-2018, 01:35   #1
daspendy

Taxi scam?

Hey,

My friends & I got a taxi after a few drinks at the local.  We flagged a taxi, and they live in a small town (I am not from around there) so it's not too expensive there was 3 of us, and it was after 8 PM, so it was 10€ to my friends' house.  One of my friends got out along the way, but the driver did not need to divert or anything.  They told the driver to pull over closish to their home which he did, but he stopped the meter which displayed €10 or so but asked us for €15 we asked why he said its because our friend got out along the way.  Which I pulled him up on then he got thick about which between him and me started a roaring match.  I asked for a receipt which he ripped up.  My friends pull me out and say he does this all the time & just handed him the €15.

I am just wondering, I did not take a picture of his reg, but I can identify him next time I am out it's not too hard its such a small town.  But how can I even report him with him ripping up the receipt & stuff?

Thanks,

Daspendy

Last edited by daspendy; 05-11-2018 at 01:36. Reason: Spacing
Advertisement
05-11-2018, 01:38   #2
Raichu
Subscriber

if he’s at it all the time yourself and your friend can report him to the taxi regulator. Get his license number. Sounds like a total arsehole taking advantage because it’s a small area and I assume not much competition.

My other theory would be he knew you were at the pub and thought he could pull a fast one on you. I’ve heard of takeaways and what not trying that before, switching to a uh.. “night time” menu with increased prices because with a few drinks in them people tend not to think twice about what they’re being charged.
Thanks from:
05-11-2018, 01:50   #3
Spook_ie

Many country cabs still work their old Hackney cab rates of a €5 a Skull or whatever the customary rate was, not legal if he's a taxi and up to the taxi regulator to act on any complaints about him.
Thanks from:
05-11-2018, 01:50   #4
daspendy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaichuMGS View Post
if he’s at it all the time yourself and your friend can report him to the taxi regulator. Get his license number. Sounds like a total arsehole taking advantage because it’s a small area and I assume not much competition.

My other theory would be he knew you were at the pub and thought he could pull a fast one on you. I’ve heard of takeaways and what not trying that before, switching to a uh.. “night time” menu with increased prices because with a few drinks in them people tend not to think twice about what they’re being charged.
We would report him but apparently, he has brought people to court over a certain "word" even though this "word" was never uttered. Which is stopping us from doing anything because we'd be afraid he would lie and say we called him by this certain "word". Even though we never did or never would use this "word" on any person or occasion.
05-11-2018, 01:51   #5
Raichu
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by daspendy View Post
We would report him but apparently, he has brought people to court over a certain "word" even though this "word" was never uttered. Which is stopping us from doing anything because we'd be afraid he would lie and say we called him by this certain "word". Even though we never did or never would use this "word" on any person or occasion.
I don’t think complaints to the taxi regulator actually disclose who reported him. It could’ve been anyone.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
05-11-2018, 01:52   #6
Spook_ie

Quote:
Do you mean he's a black driver and is reported to play the race card of being called a N1gger?, don't beat around the bush lay out the facts.
Thanks from:
05-11-2018, 01:57   #7
daspendy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook_ie View Post
Do you mean he's a black driver and is reported to play the race card of being called a N1gger?, don't beat around the bush lay out the facts.
Yeah, he has used that card in the past and brought people to court over it even though it was the same situation and the word was not uttered.

Last edited by daspendy; 05-11-2018 at 01:58. Reason: Forgot to add quote
Thanks from:
05-11-2018, 02:04   #8
Spook_ie

The only way round that is to involve the taxi regulator and AGS, the TR will be concerned pretty much only with the method of charging, the AGS "should" take an interest if he is consistently playing the race card, however, proving that may be harder, I would suggest that a member of the group records audio of any interactions and then complains to AGS.

As to the getting thick with him in the OP you'll likely not win a battle because of getting thick and presumably of having drink taken.

Soft and calm is the way
05-11-2018, 02:09   #9
Spook_ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaichuMGS View Post
I don’t think complaints to the taxi regulator actually disclose who reported him. It could’ve been anyone.
The TR won't act on anonymous tip offs and if they are to prosecute will probably need you to testify in court.

EDIT

Though it has been known for the TR to act on tip offs and set up sting operations to obtain proof, but AFAIR it's usually unlicensed operators that they target this way.
Advertisement
05-11-2018, 02:11   #10
daspendy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook_ie View Post
The only way round that is to involve the taxi regulator and AGS, the TR will be concerned pretty much only with the method of charging, the AGS "should" take an interest if he is consistently playing the race card, however, proving that may be harder, I would suggest that a member of the group records audio of any interactions and then complains to AGS.

As to the getting thick with him in the OP you'll likely not win a battle because of getting thick and presumably of having drink taken.

Soft and calm is the way
Yeah, the getting thick part was my bad. I am generally a pretty chill person but not when I feel like I'm getting done by. Probably will avoid the man and walk home then getting another ride with him.
05-11-2018, 09:48   #11
Hilly Bill

Just give him the tenner and let him call the guards.
05-11-2018, 20:50   #12
n97 mini

Quote:
Yeah, he has used that card in the past and brought people to court over it even though it was the same situation and the word was not uttered.
Sounds like an urban myth. It's not an offence to call someone that, or anything else, in a private setting in this country. And even if it was it's his word vs the accused.
Thanks from:
05-11-2018, 20:59   #13
wizardman

No receipt.. don't pay. It must be printed not written. If a taxi driver ripped up my receipt I wouldn't be paying him.
(3) thanks from:
06-11-2018, 01:54   #14
Spook_ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by n97 mini View Post
Sounds like an urban myth. It's not an offence to call someone that, or anything else, in a private setting in this country. And even if it was it's his word vs the accused.
The inside of a taxi wouldn't be a private setting, as mentioned earlier the only recourse would be recording the conversation but that requires a level of clear headed thinking that many people who have taken drink are incapable of.
06-11-2018, 10:13   #15
Bray Head

A driver is also legally obliged to give you a printed receipt.

Just submit a complaint to the NTA using their online form saying that you were not provided with a printed receipt and that this is in direct contraversion of Section 56 of SI 33 of 2015.

This happened to me once. I complained and the driver was given a fine by the NTA.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion