Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-11-2018, 15:12   #16
Eric Cartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKV View Post
As someone who doesn't live in Dublin, and only ventures in the odd time for work or shopping, would my guess be right, in that the reason there's no 24hr transport is a lot to do with the city itself kinda closing at 5-6pm (retail/general shopping) and other businesses (cafe, restaurant, pub etc) tend to quieten significantly after 9-10ish?

It's been a while since I've been in the city centre at night, i will admit, but if i recall correctly, i ventured through one weekday around 8.30-9.00pm'ish, and i don't recall that the place was exactly bustling (but I could be wrong, of course).
Admitedly , a late night / 24 hour bus would essentially just be an extension of the drink link services, you'll never have a time where the majority of people on a bus in dublin at 2am are well behaved coming home from a sober evening , i think the demand for it monday-wednesday would exclusively serve students and unemployed people going out partying or coming from the airport only. There is very little to do in dublin after 10pm that isnt getting pissed
Advertisement
03-11-2018, 15:31   #17
dashcamdanny

I think there will be drivers lining up for this.

As there will be no canteen open, all the duties could well be workouts on empty roads. Basically less hours with an expected increased shift bonus. Will really suit alot of folk. As far as drunk people goes. Let them at it. Drive the bus.

I would love to see it as I cant afford a night in Dublin due to the high taxi costs.
03-11-2018, 15:35   #18
KD345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
Admitedly , a late night / 24 hour bus would essentially just be an extension of the drink link services, you'll never have a time where the majority of people on a bus in dublin at 2am are well behaved coming home from a sober evening , i think the demand for it monday-wednesday would exclusively serve students and unemployed people going out partying or coming from the airport only. There is very little to do in dublin after 10pm that isnt getting pissed
I’d leave aside the assumption that the city only functions around alcohol. There are companies, industries, hospitals and various businesses that operate outside the regular working hours. For anyone finishing a shift at midnight or starting one at 6am public transport is not an option. Dublin has many multinational companies working on various time zones with odd shift patterns.
Many hospital shifts start at 7am (nurses, cleaners, maintenance staff). To be fair, Dublin Bus have been good in providing some early morning services on key routes such as the 05:15 46a, 05:55 66B, 06:00 14 etc. but they’re not nearly enough to meet the demand.

Even those who are out partying are not served well by the existing Nightlink. If you choose a late bar or club anywhere that’s not the in city centre or at a limited pick up point, then it’s useless and a taxi is your only choice.
03-11-2018, 15:53   #19
Eric Cartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD345 View Post
I’d leave aside the assumption that the city only functions around alcohol. There are companies, industries, hospitals and various businesses that operate outside the regular working hours. For anyone finishing a shift at midnight or starting one at 6am public transport is not an option. Dublin has many multinational companies working on various time zones with odd shift patterns.
Many hospital shifts start at 7am (nurses, cleaners, maintenance staff). To be fair, Dublin Bus have been good in providing some early morning services on key routes such as the 05:15 46a, 05:55 66B, 06:00 14 etc. but they’re not nearly enough to meet the demand.

Even those who are out partying are not served well by the existing Nightlink. If you choose a late bar or club anywhere that’s not the in city centre or at a limited pick up point, then it’s useless and a taxi is your only choice.
I would agree with you for 4.30am onwards citybound or up till 1am outbound services , and I ament working in absolutes here but the vast majority of people who would use an outbound service 1.30-5am would be drunk, I would still like to see those services but I could see how danger money / limited routes / transport security may be required and as such a higher cost and better standard of training would be required.

Driving a 3am bus to crumlin/neilstown/jobstown/darndale etc.. wpuld be hell on earth for all invovled.
03-11-2018, 16:14   #20
Stephen15

Quote:
I would agree with you for 4.30am onwards citybound or up till 1am outbound services , and I ament working in absolutes here but the vast majority of people who would use an outbound service 1.30-5am would be drunk, I would still like to see those services but I could see how danger money / limited routes / transport security may be required and as such a higher cost and better standard of training would be required.
I agree that security may be required but I think there is a case for security anyway even with services finishing at 23:30 at certain times on certain routes tbh.

I would say such services will be popular not only with drunks at the times you mentioned it could used by workers in hospitality sector such as workers in bars, restaurants, hotels and nightclubs. A 24 hour service would give people a peace of mind not to worry about missing the last bus home this making public transport more attractive over car or taxi usage.

It would also alleviate the demand on the last buses going home which can be very busy on Thurs/Fri/Sat nights. I would suggest they maybe two buses an hour on a corridor for example on the N11 you could a 46a every hour inter worked with a 145 every hour.

Quote:
Driving a 3am bus to crumlin/neilstown/jobstown/darndale etc.. wpuld be hell on earth for all invovled.
If there are problems they could withdraw service from the area for a period of time like they do already if there's an incident. It's the same kind of attitude every time something new is introduced here like the way people thought Dublin bikes would end up in the Liffey and RTPI screens would be smashed. Neither ended up happening.

Last edited by Stephen15; 03-11-2018 at 18:36.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
03-11-2018, 16:21   #21
antodeco
Subscriber

Quote:
..the vast majority of people who would use an outbound service 1.30-5am would be drunk...
But of course in order to get drunk, people have to serve them. Also, the "drunks", probably bwant to eat as well. Takeaways staff etc look after them. The same people who would probably benefit from this bus service!
03-11-2018, 23:37   #22
Kh1993

Different topic, but also with more buses during the night, you might start to remedy the situation where you’ve hundreds/thousands leaving a few streets all at the same time looking for taxis. This is where any trouble inevitably starts.
03-11-2018, 23:50   #23
sugarman

Always found it baffling the limited nitelink services didn't operate in both directions as well as having more than one or two pick up points along the route.

I remember being a broke student and often having to walk 30/40mins from Rathgar/Terenure to the pick up point in Rathmines only to be whizzed past the route I'd just walked in seconds!
(2) thanks from:
03-11-2018, 23:52   #24
Atlantic Dawn

If Dublin Bus don't want to supply the service the contract/licence from when they stop providing service should be provided for free to anyone who wants it.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-11-2018, 00:44   #25
Qrt

Quote:
To be honest, I've gotten the nitelink home a few times and walked through the entirety of Jobstown, and it's dead as f*** most nights.
04-11-2018, 00:52   #26
Stephen15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrt View Post
To be honest, I've gotten the nitelink home a few times and walked through the entirety of Jobstown, and it's dead as f*** most nights.
To reiterate my point if there's problems in particular area withdraw service temporarily as is done now. Why should it be any different at 3 in the morning as at 8 in the evening or whenever the trouble usually starts. As you said sure it's probably fairly most nights anyway.
04-11-2018, 12:13   #27
Losty Dublin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic Dawn View Post
If Dublin Bus don't want to supply the service the contract/licence from when they stop providing service should be provided for free to anyone who wants it.
When late buses came out first in the 1990's, private companies were banging on the doors of Kildare Street to get a chance to run some of the private routes. Within a few months Finnegan's of Bray were about the only one of them who were still running, and to their credit they still are.
(2) thanks from:
04-11-2018, 13:32   #28
Stephen15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic Dawn View Post
If the NTA want it DB will have to provide it
Thanks from:
04-11-2018, 13:37   #29
thomasj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen15 View Post
If the NTA want it DB will have to provide it
No they don't. (well yeah DB do now because they signed the contract for it with the NTA)

When the NTA decide a requirement they issue tender for a company to run a service or batch of services.
04-11-2018, 15:14   #30
Charles Babbage

Quote:
Originally Posted by antodeco View Post
But of course in order to get drunk, people have to serve them. Also, the "drunks", probably bwant to eat as well. Takeaways staff etc look after them. The same people who would probably benefit from this bus service!

And you could have the more upmarket class of restaurant or hotel where the patrons would use a taxi or walk up to their room, but the staff have to go home every night.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion