Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-11-2018, 15:35   #1
sitstill

24 hour Dublin bus?

Does anyone have any update on the proposals from earlier this year to run some DB routes 24 hours?
Advertisement
01-11-2018, 15:59   #2
p_haugh

Can't remember where but think I read they'd be coming sometime around February
Thanks from:
01-11-2018, 18:11   #3
AlekSmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_haugh View Post
Can't remember where but think I read they'd be coming sometime around February
Most likely Swords to An Lár via Airport,in February.
Crewing arrangements largely in place,however issues remain outstanding regarding Supervisory,Maintenance and external arrangements.

Current NTA requirement is for 6 24 hour corridors,with some flexibility as to routes involved.

There was a suggestion that representations had been made by Taxi interests,which had delayed the process,however I can find no links to support that.
(5) thanks from:
01-11-2018, 18:19   #4
L1011

If taxi reps tried to interfere nd I was Minister I'd threaten to legislate for full Uber in retaliation
01-11-2018, 19:08   #5
Zebra3

I'd prefer the alternative of the minister actually growing a pair.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-11-2018, 19:15   #6
Eric Cartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
If taxi reps tried to interfere nd I was Minister I'd threaten to legislate for full Uber in retaliation
I think this should happen anyway, the taxi lobby , NBRU and LVA/Vintners federation have had too easy a time and stifled progress, measures to make them ineffective at worst and fall out of existence at best need to be taken.
(3) thanks from:
01-11-2018, 20:23   #7
KKV

Send a message via MSN to KKV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus Amadeus. Rock_me Amadeus View Post
Imposing...vile abuse of human rights... forced... Nazi labour camp... my heart breaks...

I genuinely laughed.
Thanks from:
01-11-2018, 21:07   #8
AlekSmart

Quote:
Imposing night shift work where not necessary is a vile abuse of human rights.

The taxi drivers do it willingly, the bus drivers will be forced into it like a Nazi labour camp. It's unnecessary and unfair on the drivers.

I hope it never happens. I am happy to have a day job with fexi time and my heart breaks for people forced into shift work. 24 hour public transport is simply not needed.

Private cars, taxis and cycling are adequate at night.
Heed the warnings people.....no good will come of the Germanization of nocturnal Dublin.....just look at what happens over there......

(Varning: Der wer Bust Drivers in der Audienze too !!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09wlmA3m8ZE
01-11-2018, 22:00   #9
Carawaystick

Quote:
So damaging a driver's health, depriving him or her from their family is just a laugh?

It's a disgrace.

IF they bring in night shifts, and I hope they don't, their salary should be increased to €45,000 (starting). I genuinely mean it. They'd deserve no less. The abuse they pt up with for such a high skilled job is too underpaid as it is.

I only know one driver as an acquaintance btw (my friend's father), before anyone accuses me of having an agenda.
But Dublin bus drivers already drive all the time, the first 33 leaves Skerries at 5:40 so there's driving time to get there from the depot, and the last nightlink on the 33n leaves for skerries at 4am. so theres over 24 hours driving time
Advertisement
02-11-2018, 10:05   #10
bk

This needs to happen so badly. 6 routes would be great. I'd assume in time that would grow to cover the core BusConnect radial corridors.

We'd finally move towards what a European capital city should have in this day and age.
02-11-2018, 11:08   #11
thomasj

This would be great news when this happens.

I was told by a driver recently that the first 39/as that leave ongar around 5.30 are running full to capacity and that the new timetable will see the first bus leaving around 4-4.30ish
(4) thanks from:
02-11-2018, 13:48   #12
trellheim

Yep the 39s need doubling in frequency the entire corridor the whole day
(4) thanks from:
02-11-2018, 16:24   #13
KKV

Send a message via MSN to KKV
As someone who doesn't live in Dublin, and only ventures in the odd time for work or shopping, would my guess be right, in that the reason there's no 24hr transport is a lot to do with the city itself kinda closing at 5-6pm (retail/general shopping) and other businesses (cafe, restaurant, pub etc) tend to quieten significantly after 9-10ish?

It's been a while since I've been in the city centre at night, i will admit, but if i recall correctly, i ventured through one weekday around 8.30-9.00pm'ish, and i don't recall that the place was exactly bustling (but I could be wrong, of course).
02-11-2018, 16:28   #14
cgcsb

I guess the 6 24hr routes would broadly coincide with the A-G bus spines. Even if they operated to the end of the spine and then connected with a suburban taxi rank for onward journies that'd be fab.

Say if there was a G night bus as far as Liffey Valley and from there you could get a cab.
Obvious exception being that the Airport and Swords should be included.

At present the City Centre is clogged with taxis from 22:00 onwards, Fridays and Saturday nights are a write off for traffic. That needs to stop.

I know there's night luas and DARTs in December but this really should be all year. Fingers crossed the proposed metro is driverless and 24hr like in Copenhagen.

Last edited by cgcsb; 02-11-2018 at 16:31.
(6) thanks from:
02-11-2018, 16:29   #15
cgcsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKV View Post
As someone who doesn't live in Dublin, and only ventures in the odd time for work or shopping, would my guess be right, in that the reason there's no 24hr transport is a lot to do with the city itself kinda closing at 5-6pm (retail/general shopping) and other businesses (cafe, restaurant, pub etc) tend to quieten significantly after 9-10ish?

It's been a while since I've been in the city centre at night, i will admit, but if i recall correctly, i ventured through one weekday around 8.30-9.00pm'ish, and i don't recall that the place was exactly bustling (but I could be wrong, of course).
Wow, it's really been a while for you. It's dawn to dusk bedlem.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion