Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-11-2018, 17:08   #61
punisher5112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen15 View Post
I have also seen drivers use the middle doors when perhaps the safety element is questionable. Most drivers seem to use nearly all the time in the city centre but less so in the suburbs I find. I've seen a good few drivers use them on Aston Quay for example but not all get right up to the kerb as there's usually other buses blocking up the stop.
I'll be straight up I'm damed if I do and damed if I don't.

I actually can't win.

I try to do my best in reading who is getting off and where but no matter what people leave it till the bus is after filling with 40 or 50 and then decide oh I will get off here, say nothing and tend to bounce off the doors front or back.

There are occasions where if we open the rear doors people shoot on and make a run for the stairs.

With only 4 checkers for over a 1000 buses this is just too much put on each driver.

I don't know how many go ahead have but I'm really hoping it's more then 4 oh and 1 of those is in a car.....
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
05-11-2018, 17:20   #62
Stephen15

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5112 View Post
There are occasions where if we open the rear doors people shoot on and make a run for the stairs.

With only 4 checkers for over a 1000 buses this is just too much put on each driver.

I don't know how many go ahead have but I'm really hoping it's more then 4 oh and 1 of those is in a car.....
But I thought fare evasion wasn't something drivers were responsible and if people got on the middle doors without paying then there wouldn't be any repercussions on said driver.

I yet to see GAI advertise for ticket inspectors. Maybe they'll do hire some when they have more routes.
Thanks from:
05-11-2018, 23:28   #63
testarossa40

Quote:
9 hybrids are to be trialled 3 of each type. Will be based Conyngham Road and will operate on the 25a/b
Which types are being trialled? Presumably Wrights Gemini-based among them?
05-11-2018, 23:36   #64
Stephen15

Quote:
Originally Posted by testarossa40 View Post
Which types are being trialled? Presumably Wrights Gemini-based among them?
I didn't hear that myself. My guess would be 3 from Wrights, 3 from Alexander Dennis and another three from another bus builder perhaps MCV/Volvo.
06-11-2018, 05:40   #65
punisher5112

I do hope whatever they are that they are better then the sg
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
06-11-2018, 05:59   #66
listermint

6 pages in and no one knows what price range these will fetch when sold ?
06-11-2018, 06:09   #67
AlekSmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by listermint View Post
6 pages in and no one knows what price range these will fetch when sold ?
Sealed bid tender,so it's entirely up to the market.

The issue here is the lack of past "ball-park" figures to go on,with only a handful of tri-axles ever appearing here,and long ago at that.

My guess is that they are already being factored in to some company's peak capacity express service,possibly reclassified in zero standee mode.

Either way,there's plenty of revenue earning service left in them yet.
(2) thanks from:
06-11-2018, 06:11   #68
shanec1928

Quote:
9 hybrids are to be trialled 3 of each type. Will be based Conyngham Road and will operate on the 25a/b
great to get some new buses on the 25a/b route no doubt they won’t run due to operational issues that seem to plague the route
07-11-2018, 00:09   #69
dublinman1990

There's a Youtube video here of London's new tri-axle bus doing it's trials on the 12 route.

I found few photographs here also on Flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jashen...-81709772@N07/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jashen...-81709772@N07/
Thanks from:
Advertisement
07-11-2018, 09:31   #70
bk

Cool, looks like a decent bus. Though the stop button on the back of the seat is a little strange.

One thing that strikes me is that you can hear the EV motor kick in accelerating out of the stops and for most of the video the Diesel engine doesn't sound like it is running, so mostly running EV between many of those stops. Shows the benefits of hybrid on a city bus, in particular in a city center location with lots of close stops and a big battery like this bus has, nice.

In the pictures he mentions:
Quote:
The extra seats are a bonus, the bus is nippy and it doesn’t feel heavy, it can pull away quick too!
A big heavy coach based tri-axle with an underpowered Euro 6 engine feels nippy! Again this shows the benefits of hybrids and EV's, their powerful torque is ideal for a city bus with lots of stop and starts. Hybrids go a long way to solving bus drivers complaints of modern Euro 6 engined buses feeling light and underpowered.

Last edited by bk; 07-11-2018 at 10:26.
07-11-2018, 12:15   #71
punisher5112

One major issue I see right away is the front lights(dipped beam) are way too low and that will be an issue.
(3) thanks from:
08-11-2018, 17:05   #72
Stephen15

Alexander Dennis have now launched the new Enviro 400XLB tri axle for Lothian Buses in Edinburgh. Have to say it looks quite nice and I would personally prefer it to the one's which were bought for London. This bus is a bit larger than the VTs and can carry 131 with 100 seats. Although I'm not mad on the style of seats on these

https://www.alexander-dennis.com/med...volvo-chassis/
(2) thanks from:
08-11-2018, 19:53   #73
punisher5112

If I had the money to buy them I would run a service from Wicklow to say sandyford if the n11 could have a bus lane and have it that there is a park and ride set up.
Have it seated only and run as a trial.
Something needs doing on that road and now not years down the road.

So many cars going the same way mostly every day.
(3) thanks from:
08-11-2018, 21:46   #74
haulier

Maybe connect LUAS BRIDES GLEN to DART [ around SHANGANNAGH JUNCTION via the original route - forget about all the additions to Bray, etc for the present ] That would give an alternative route to CHERRYWOOD/ Sandyford I.E.[ & N. Wicklow ] from both sides.

If people want to use their own transport, grand - but there would be an option.

What distance is it ?? - maybe 2 miles - most of the route is still there.

Of course, this leaves out the main problem on the N11 - it's [public transport ] a great idea for everyone else - if they used public transport, I could fly into town in half an hour !!!

This doesn't only apply to the N11

Last edited by haulier; 09-11-2018 at 08:22.
(2) thanks from:
09-11-2018, 19:45   #75
bk

Quote:
Alexander Dennis have now launched the new Enviro 400XLB tri axle for Lothian Buses in Edinburgh. Have to say it looks quite nice and I would personally prefer it to the one's which were bought for London. This bus is a bit larger than the VTs and can carry 131 with 100 seats. Although I'm not mad on the style of seats on these

https://www.alexander-dennis.com/med...volvo-chassis/
Quote:
The Enviro400XLB shares its body structure with the market-leading two-axle Enviro400, which has been designed for the requirements of British and Irish bus operators
Interesting tidbit their.

Having said that, no mention of hybrid, just Euro 6, so a non starter here now.

The London one seems much better is terms of environment.

Even if you don't care about the Environment, the London hybrid one likely accelerates much faster given the electric motor, nice for drivers.

Great though to see options appear on the market, leave hope that we could get some here.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion