Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-01-2018, 14:35   #61
joe_99

I was on the 66x earlier (8.45). Once it passed O'Connell Bridge it pretty much moved the whole way to merrion square. It was a little sticky crossing over Pearse street onto Westland row but I think in general it worked well.

I am not convinced the changes for the outward routes will work as well. Tara street has potential to be a severe bottleneck.
Advertisement
29-01-2018, 16:00   #62
budgemook

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyoaty0099 View Post
Good to hear since traffic was a ****ing joke all over the place this morning. What route are you on if you don't mind me asking
The 37. I hit bachelor's walk / college green heading south at around 8:20 and it was completely fine.

We'll see how the week goes, I see on Twitter that it got bad again closer to 9 and I remember last week it being terrible at around that time.
29-01-2018, 16:10   #63
devnull

Certainly seemed better this morning but still work to be done for sure.

Taxi Drivers have started kicking off:
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...egin-1.3372301

Quote:
Joe Herron, president of the Irish Taxi Drivers Federation, said it would be “grossly unfair” if restrictions were introduced which allowed buses to enter the College Green area and not taxis.

“It would be crazy if we had to do two or three times the distance to cross from one side of the Liffey to other. It’s a busy area for taxi business and if we couldn’t go through there we’d have to go all the way up the quays to Parliament Street and come back around.”

Mr Herron also called for restrictions on private bus companies operating in the area.
Thanks from:
29-01-2018, 17:13   #64
thomasj

On a 15a now and it took 15 minutes to get from pearse street Garda station to college green. Couldn't blame the driver for cursing.

How's Tara street going ?
29-01-2018, 17:41   #65
hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
Taxi Drivers have started kicking off:
In terms of public movement & transport, the order of priority & media attention should be:
1. Pedestrians
2. Cyclists
3. Bus & LUAS
4. Donkey
5. Taxi
6. Private Cars

Instead it appears to be:
1. LUAS
2. Taxi
3. Bus
4. Cyclists
5. Private Cars
6. Pedestrians

I don't see why the main public transport options should be rerouted from College Green, while taxis continue to drive through there. It is plainly obvious to any neutral observer that one third to half the road space through the areas affected is taxis, and in particular it is taxis who are jumping the queue.
Advertisement
29-01-2018, 18:26   #66
Hugh Jampton

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmm View Post
In terms of public movement & transport, the order of priority & media attention should be:
1. Pedestrians
2. Cyclists
3. Bus & LUAS
4. Donkey
5. Taxi
6. Private Cars

1. LUAS
2. Taxi
3. Bus
4. Cyclists
5. Private Cars
6. Pedestrians

I don't see why the main public transport options should be rerouted from College Green, while taxis continue to drive through there. It is plainly obvious to any neutral observer that one third to half the road space through the areas affected is taxis, and in particular it is taxis who are jumping the queue.
If cyclists are supposed to be a bigger priority than bus and Luas passengers, then a special bridge should be built for them to get over it.
Thanks from:
29-01-2018, 22:40   #67
Phil.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmm View Post
1. Pedestrians
2. Cyclists
3. Bus & LUAS
4. Donkey
5. Taxi
6. Private Cars

1. LUAS
2. Taxi
3. Bus
4. Cyclists
5. Private Cars
6. Pedestrians

As there's no 24hrs transport, taxis are very important.
Maybe the Dublin planners who are responsible for this mess should be arrested and charged for gross waste of public money, making the city a more dangerous place for pedestrians and cyclists, longer delays in transit for the vast majority of people, the loss of business and man hours and lastly.....a laughing stock of Europe for when it comes to something as simple as public transport.
29-01-2018, 22:53   #68
MJohnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil.x View Post
As there's no 24hrs transport, taxis are very important.
Only for the brief window of hours where the Luas and buses aren't running.
Thanks from:
29-01-2018, 23:38   #69
Phil.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJohnston View Post
Only for the brief window of hours where the Luas and buses aren't running.
Yes but what does one do, walk for 10miles?
Advertisement
29-01-2018, 23:56   #70
MJohnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil.x View Post
Yes but what does one do, walk for 10miles?
No, you get a taxi.
(4) thanks from:
30-01-2018, 10:10   #71
Sierra Oscar
Category Moderator

I was on the 38 this morning, passing through D'Olier Street shortly after 9am. It took 20 minutes to get from O'Connell Bridge to Nassau Street.

There didn't seem to be any movement from any vehicle whatsoever on D'Olier for a good 10 minutes. Couldn't see what the issue was but I'd imagine the junction was blocked at Doyle's.

There were a couple of cyclists trapped between the buses in the middle lane of D'Olier Street. Looked pretty frightening!

Last edited by Sierra Oscar; 30-01-2018 at 10:16.
30-01-2018, 10:44   #72
Damo2k

Gridlock.

https://i.imgur.com/X7hV37Q.jpg
Thanks from:
30-01-2018, 10:55   #73
MJohnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo2k View Post
That's passing College House up to the Trinity stop isn't it? The timing of that junction for the Luas is really poor - it should never be able to pass the Hawkins/Townsend Street junction until it has a free run onto College Street, instead of stopping halfway across and blocking Townsend Street traffic.
Thanks from:
30-01-2018, 10:59   #74
Damo2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJohnston View Post
That's passing College House up to the Trinity stop isn't it? The timing of that junction for the Luas is really poor - it should never be able to pass the Hawkins/Townsend Street junction until it has a free run onto College Street, instead of stopping halfway across and blocking Townsend Street traffic.
Yes thats the location.
30-01-2018, 11:33   #75
Bambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo2k View Post
This was precisely the junction that I highlighted before the LUAS went live. There's no way the NTA etc, did not know the LUAS was going to block this junction, they just went ahead anyway.

You would assume the LUAS is merrily breaking the law right outside a Traffic Corps station and not a word said
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion