Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-08-2018, 11:57   #61
GM228

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingnowhere View Post
They wanted more money for longer trains...

Unions need to shut up or put up and stop messing with trying to control the railway.
They were not looking for smaller trains, rather they were concerned about about the safety of smaller trains and issues with overcrowding.
Advertisement
22-08-2018, 12:34   #62
Decuc500

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM228 View Post
Sizes will vary (4, 6 and 8 carriages), the unions have raised this issue at the WRC and the company have indicated there will be slightly less 8 car trains, but more 6 car over 4 car trains - the NTA have allocated money to return some of the longer term out of service units to service.
Is the aim of this new timetable to improve rush hour conditions or just to pander to politicians and public image?

As a rush hour commuter I don’t care that there’s a Dart every 10 minutes during the day.

I do care if Darts leaving Howth and Malahide at a (too long) gap of 20 minutes in rush hour are going to be only 4 carriages long.
I would hope these 4 carriage sets won’t be let anywhere near rush hour but with Irish Rail anything is possible.
22-08-2018, 12:57   #63
Ireland trains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decuc500 View Post
I do care if Darts leaving Howth and Malahide at a (too long) gap of 20 minutes in rush hour are going to be only 4 carriages long.
I would hope these 4 carriage sets won’t be let anywhere near rush hour but with Irish Rail anything is possible.
IÉ have enough coaches to operate mainly 8 car trains with a few 6 car.
Rosslare services should do what enterprise and commuters do at mallahide which is overtake on the up lane and cross back to the down line.
Northern line commuters first stop should be at mallahide with some calling at howth junction.
Thanks from:
22-08-2018, 12:57   #64
highdef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM228 View Post
They were not looking for smaller trains, rather they were concerned about about the safety of smaller trains and issues with overcrowding.
So initially the drivers wanted more money for driving for longer trains (I still can't get my head around that logic) and now that it was suggested to make trains more frequent but shorter, they want more money....Am I reading that incorrectly?

I work in television broadcasting and we add new channels to the line-up every now and then. I could just imagine the laugh management would have if I suggested an X% increase in pay every time that more TV channels are added. I don't think the unions would entertain that either. In my case, every extra channel added does result in a some extra workload however I can't understand how more carriages on a DART can increase the workload of a driver, apart from the likes of checks of the train at the start of the shift, if indeed the driver is the person who undertakes this task and not a maintenance worker.
22-08-2018, 13:39   #65
GM228

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdef View Post
So initially the drivers wanted more money for driving for longer trains (I still can't get my head around that logic) and now that it was suggested to make trains more frequent but shorter, they want more money....Am I reading that incorrectly?
You are reading that incorrectly, they are not looking for extra money, they just raised the issue (again) of shorter trains.

See for example:-

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.iris...us-844386.html

Quote:
"We don't have the extra coaches for a 10 minute DART service. It could be a case that the current eight-piece coaches could be reduced significantly to two four-pieces for example.

"You might have a situation where people might have a 10 minute service but they might not be able to access the service at a time they want to."
This issue has been brought up again by the unions at the WRC and the company have said it is not the case for most trains.

Last edited by GM228; 22-08-2018 at 13:44.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
22-08-2018, 16:11   #66
goingnowhere

Its amazing that we had a better than 10 minute service 11 years ago with the current fleet.

There are enough coaches to run a meaningful service, it would be a mix of 6-8 coaches every 10 minutes, there would be more coaches in daily service than today, so net capacity will be up and thats what counts.

There are plans to bring the Alstom units back and there are a handful of coaches out of service for some time, 8103 was supposed to be back by now
22-08-2018, 17:42   #67
andrewfaulk

There are plans to bring the Alstom units back and there are a handful of coaches out of service for some time, 8103 was supposed to be back by now[/quote]

What’s your source on the 8200s coming back? Can’t see it happening
22-08-2018, 18:25   #68
GM228

Quote:
There are plans to bring the Alstom units back
There are no plans to bring them back at present, a few options were looked at regarding them (which was before the DEMU project was approved) which sparked several rumours such as converting them to push-pull stock.

All that was confirmed at the time was that an estimated €2.75M investment was required to refurbish them.

Since the DEMU project was approved any interest in them seems to have vanished and I'd say is unlikely to return, but, I suppose never say never.
Thanks from:
22-08-2018, 19:00   #69
devnull

I've heard that the 8200s are not coming back at all no matter what.

What will happen though is a number of 8100/8500 sets that are not required at peak times at the moment and also some troublesome units that need substantial work done and need overhauls will be done and be deployed at peak times.

Of course this might lead to the odd short form as there is less slack in the fleet, but better to have as much capacity as possible out there and short form a set the occasional time it's needed, than to have 16 carriages laying around every day.
Advertisement
22-08-2018, 19:17   #70
goingnowhere

8103 is the only long term out of service unit, it was to be fixed and should be back by now, the other 37 sets should all be considered active

There is a test set with the new cab signalling which is permanently coupled up so if any of the coaches have a problem all 8 are stopped

Last edited by goingnowhere; 22-08-2018 at 19:23.
22-08-2018, 19:20   #71
devnull

Quote:
8103 is the only long term out of service unit, it was to be fixed and should be back by now, the other 37 sets should all be considered active
Yes - the others are considered in service but even today I've seen 14 cars outside Clontarf Depot at peak time and that's excluding any that are not visible.

So there's scope to put more of them in service to enhance capacity.
22-08-2018, 20:12   #72
Cloudio9

So is anything changing to allow higher throughput in Connolly-Pearse ?
22-08-2018, 21:02   #73
stephenjmcd

Timetable for the 10 minute service this Sunday for the popes visit is now online. Imagine that this will be the trial run really
22-08-2018, 21:04   #74
thomasj

I've never seen a Maynooth/m3 parkway timetable that good for a weekday , never mind a Sunday!
(2) thanks from:
22-08-2018, 21:46   #75
highdef

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenjmcd View Post
Timetable for the 10 minute service this Sunday for the popes visit is now online. Imagine that this will be the trial run really
Do you have a link for it? I couldn't find it in the homepage or timetables section of the Irish Rail website (on laptop).

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion