Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-08-2017, 21:27   #46
devnull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen15 View Post
You're ust another keyboard warrior next time your getting off bus a bus I dare you to say I hope you're replaced by a driverless bus instead of saying thanks go on I dare you.
Please attack the posters point of view and not the poster themselves.

Please do not reply to this post.

- Moderator.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
20-08-2017, 23:26   #47
dublinman1990

An NTA tender recently sought up to 50 midibuses for DB,BE & presumably for Go Ahead to operate their PSO services.

The tender was valued at €8 million. It asked for buses that were measured between 8.6m & 10.5m in length.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Suppli...wNotice/190410

This tender was recently closed back on the 8th of May.

I wonder how many of these new midibuses will be in Go Ahead's hands when they have their routes off DB.
Thanks from:
20-08-2017, 23:39   #48
Stephen15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublinman1990 View Post
An NTA tender recently sought up to 50 midibuses for DB,BE & presumably for Go Ahead to operate their PSO services.

The tender was valued at €8 million. It asked for buses that were measured between 8.6m & 10.5m in length.

I wonder how many of these new midibuses will be in Go Ahead's hands when they have their routes off DB.
More streetlites I wonder
Thanks from:
21-08-2017, 00:18   #49
Stephen15

Quote:

Good to see that single deckers are making a return to Dublin Bus or former DB routes for that matter. Certain local routes such as the 59, 63 and the 111 will never require a double decker.
21-08-2017, 07:35   #50
LXFlyer

Quote:

Once again, I need to explain that all tenders for buses are prepared on a speculative basis, as there is no guarantee that government funding will be available when they come around to be ordered. They also may subsequently decide to change the mix of buses ordered. They hedge their bets basically.

Therefore take the details with some degree of scepticism and do not treat it as gospel.

Only when tenders for new buses are awarded should they be relied upon.

Last edited by LXFlyer; 21-08-2017 at 07:44.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
21-08-2017, 09:13   #51
thomasj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublinman1990
It's purely expression of interest more than purchasing , if it was purchasing we'd have many more buses including VTs by now
Thanks from:
21-08-2017, 19:28   #52
bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXFlyer View Post
Once again, I need to explain that all tenders for buses are prepared on a speculative basis, as there is no guarantee that government funding will be available when they come around to be ordered. They also may subsequently decide to change the mix of buses ordered. They hedge their bets basically.
What you described above is exactly how every major company (or bus buying organisation) tenders for buses/coaches and it also how airlines buy planes.

It is also not unusual for airlines to change their orders later. A380's to A350's, etc.

It is a pretty damn good sign of what they are considering buying and are thinking pretty seriously about it. Short of a major recession hitting again, I would assume these orders will go ahead, though perhaps with a slightly different mix.
Thanks from:
21-08-2017, 19:33   #53
LXFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk View Post
What you described above is exactly how every major company (or bus buying organisation) tenders for buses/coaches and it also how airlines buy planes.

It is also not unusual for airlines to change their orders later. A380's to A350's, etc.

It is a pretty damn good sign of what they are considering buying and are thinking pretty seriously about it. Short of a major recession hitting again, I would assume these orders will go ahead, though perhaps with a slightly different mix.
If you look at the original tenders and the final tenders awarded over the last 10-15 years, even back in Celtic Tiger days, they generally bore little resemblance to one another, either in quantity or final vehicle mix.

Hence the health warning - experience of watching this process tells me to treat them with a degree of caution, and certainly not to treat them as final as both you and other posters have done in recent times.
(3) thanks from:
21-08-2017, 20:16   #54
LXFlyer

For the record - I don't want people to think I'm being unduly negative - I'm just very cautious about anything like this given the history!

I'd be the first to welcome all these buses being delivered, but we will wait and see what happens. There is an awful lot that needs to happen in a very short space of time, and that's going to be challenging in itself.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
21-08-2017, 20:45   #55
Stephen15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXFlyer View Post
For the record - I don't want people to think I'm being unduly negative - I'm just very cautious about anything like this given the history!

I'd be the first to welcome all these buses being delivered, but we will wait and see what happens. There is an awful lot that needs to happen in a very short space of time, and that's going to be challenging in itself.
There certainly is. I somewhat fail to see how this tendering process will improve services.

People are very quick to criticise DB and its staff when most the issues boil down underfunding resulting in lack of buses and lack of drivers. Maybe its just the area I live in but I am generally satisfied by the service I am getting in my area I find there is a good mix of local, radial and orbital routes in my area however there is room for improvement such as the reduction of fares and the making of buses cashless.
Thanks from:
21-08-2017, 20:48   #56
LeinsterDub

Quote:
There certainly is. I somewhat fail to see how this tendering process will improve services.

People are very quick to criticise DB and its staff when most the issues boil down underfunding resulting in lack of buses and lack of drivers. Maybe its just the area I live in but I am generally satisfied by the service I am getting in my area I find there is a good mix of local, radial and orbital routes in my area however there is room for improvement such as the reduction of fares and the making of buses cashless.
This Saturday Dublin bus/NTA were running a 4 every half an hour. The service is a disgrace.
Thanks from:
21-08-2017, 21:03   #57
Stephen15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeinsterDub View Post
This Saturday Dublin bus/NTA were running a 4 every half an hour. The service is a disgrace.
I was only giving a personal opinion yes I have seen the timetable for that routes and it probably should be more frequent on the weekends but thats only one route.
Thanks from:
21-08-2017, 21:17   #58
LeinsterDub

Quote:
I was only giving a personal opinion yes I have seen the timetable for that routes and it probably should be more frequent on the weekends but thats only one route.
The entire network is archaic. Thankfully bus connects is en route.
21-08-2017, 21:28   #59
brokenarms

Quote:
The entire network is archaic. Thankfully bus connects is en route.
I still dont know how this is going to go through with the unions.

How do you take a marked in route off one driver let alone a 100 drivers without an all out strike?

Even painting the busses to look the same as go ahead will be an issue.

I tried to explain Bus connect to a marked in long term driver last week, and he laughed at me.
I cant see it happen anytime soon. I hope it does happen, but I know how resistant to change people can be.

There will be lots of friction.
21-08-2017, 21:34   #60
devnull

Quote:
I had a rant about this 6 years ago and sadly not much has changed:
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...postcount=2756

The 4 has been sub-standard pretty much since network direct, at the same time that the artics were withdrawn they cut the frequency at peak-times from 6 buses an hour to 4 buses an hour and reduced it to half hourly on a Saturday and hourly on a Sunday.

It was an excellent busy service from 2006 until when it was changed in 2009/10 but after that frequency cut and a cut to running time it became unreliable, frequently going past full at stops (which in turned heaped more pressure on the already busy 7, which also became unreliable and going past full).

However realistically the NTA and Dublin Bus should have sorted it out by now and restored it back to every 10 minutes at peak time and expanded the weekend frequency since it's badly in needed it for a long time.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion