Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-07-2017, 13:32   #46
boardsuser1

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
I think the fleet as of a couple of months ago according to an enthusiast forum is 31x2004, 3x2005, 3x2008, 1x2010, 4x2012, 11x2014, 5x2016, 5x2017.

However the picture is clouded by the fact that those 2016 vehicles rarely operate scheduled services, there's one liveried for Belfast but three of the other four are used on tour work only, and the 2017 Tourismos are on Belfast only also.

However it is rumoured that they are looking to acquire some ex Shearings 2009 Setra single deck and ex Stagecoach 2009 Vanhool Double Decks which might improve the situation, but noticeable how the Belfast route gets brand new and the others will probably get second hand again.
I drove a 2012 Tri-axle Setra when i went for the interview last year.

A fine coach it was as well, held the road very well,not a rattle out of it and plenty of power.

If anything the 2004/2005 coaches should go, even the neoplan overdeckers.

The 2009's would be a medium term solution provided they aren't as bad as the other Ex Stagecoach imports.

They currently have 1 Ex Aircoach going around with the blue colour scheme.

Leading to a bit of confusion at the stop here in Cork when they are all there.

It is odd that the cross border route is getting brand new coaches, are they hoping for more tenders in N.I?

Last edited by boardsuser1; 25-07-2017 at 13:37.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
25-07-2017, 13:33   #47
boardsuser1

This is the one i drove.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/903312...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/903312...posted-public/

Photos are my own.
25-07-2017, 13:43   #48
boardsuser1

This is still in service with Aircoach and is actually in very good condition for a 2005.

Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up with DC when withdrawn from service.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/903312...7645097712755/
25-07-2017, 13:46   #49
boardsuser1

A 2005 Dublin Coach Setra i spotted at junction 14 in 2015.

In good condition unusually.
25-07-2017, 13:52   #50
devnull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork Truck Driver View Post
I drove a 2012 Tri-axle Setra when i went for the interview last year.

A fine coach it was as well, held the road very well,not a rattle out of it and plenty of power.
Being a Setra it's going to hold up well for a number of years, I wouldn't expect anything less really, they are fantastic coaches and not even hit mid-life yet.

Quote:
If anything the 2004/2005 coaches should go, even the neoplan overdeckers.
The 2004 vehicles I think is made up of something like 19x ex Aircoach and over 10x ex Stagecoach/Oxford Tube, Can't imagine any of those vehicles had easy lives, I think the 2005 ones were with Dublin Coach from new.

Quote:
The 2009's would be a medium term solution provided they aren't as bad as the other Ex Stagecoach imports.
From what I understand they will be ex Megabus and ex Oxford Tube.

Quote:
It is odd that the cross border route is getting brand new coaches, are they hoping for more tenders in N.I?
They also are offering ultra cheap fares there £8/€10 return Dublin to Belfast, plus they are running pretty much head to head with Aircoach from same stop at Belfast within 5 minutes of each other.

Belfast the competition is pretty intense because as it's a cross border route so it's not subject to licensing. For example they wouldn't be allowed to run such a route fully within ROI on an a head to head basis.
Advertisement
25-07-2017, 14:14   #51
devnull

Quote:
A 2005 Dublin Coach Setra i spotted at junction 14 in 2015.

In good condition unusually.
I believe that much of the current problems in Dublin Coach have been due to over expansion over the past couple of years, they've rapidly expanded their existing routes to quite a few new areas and started completely new routes in this time as well as expanding their timetables.

You also have to consider whilst the routes and service has expanded, a lot of that has been done on the back of adding second hand vehicles to the fleet to run then, for example 12x 2004 Setras left Aircoach between 2015-2016, 11 of them are now with Dublin Coach.

I'd be fairly certain that if they acquired vehicles that were half the age of the ex Aircoach vehicles or brand new, there's no way they'd be able to expand the way they have done, there is an argument that they should have expanded slower and invested more in their fleet - however none of us know the financial details of the company and it's trading performance so we can't judge fully.

Quote:
This is still in service with Aircoach and is actually in very good condition for a 2005. Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up with DC when withdrawn from service.

I believe that coach is owned by Aircoach whilst the 2004 Setras were leased.

Also you have to bear in mind that there is one thing very different between that Setras and the others. All of the others spent most of their lives operating 24x7 on the city routes as well as intercity, that Coach has never been off the intercity routes and spent most days just doing a single lap of Dublin-Cork and no more, so I would wager it would have far less mileage on the clock.
Thanks from:
25-07-2017, 14:29   #52
punisher5112

I would hazard a guess most of the vehicles DC are using are leased also.

Sure its the same guy who had them originally.

I know the 142 tri axles were got to take use of a big tax break where they were on city tours for approximately 12 months.

The vehicles that replaced them are 2003 ex double decks from the UK and more suited as open top.

The vehicles as I mentioned are in very bad condition and am extremely surprised they pass a cvrt road test.
Thanks from:
25-07-2017, 22:31   #53
Bambi

I think dublin coach are a victims of their own success and are also being swamped by the upsurge of cheapskate tourism that airbnb is pulling into the country

That said, I got a Bus Eireann bus from Doolin to Ennis for 15 bills and a dublin coach bus from Ennis to Dublin for the same price on a better quality coach.

Really shows the malaise in the semi state.
Thanks from:
25-07-2017, 22:52   #54
boardsuser1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
I think dublin coach are a victims of their own success and are also being swamped by the upsurge of cheapskate tourism that airbnb is pulling into the country

That said, I got a Bus Eireann bus from Doolin to Ennis for 15 bills and a dublin coach bus from Ennis to Dublin for the same price on a better quality coach.

Really shows the malaise in the semi state.
Big contrast in the wages of both drivers.
Advertisement
25-07-2017, 23:01   #55
Bambi

Quote:
Big contrast in the wages of both drivers.
there sure is, and both wages are a disgrace but at the opposite ends of the spectrum

but I suspect the big difference between dublin coach and bus eireann is the wages of the 5 other guys that are just clogging up space in bus eireann
25-07-2017, 23:37   #56
boardsuser1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
there sure is, and both wages are a disgrace but at the opposite ends of the spectrum

but I suspect the big difference between dublin coach and bus eireann is the wages of the 5 other guys that are just clogging up space in bus eireann
Before the strike I knew a few Bus Eireann drivers who were on €43k a year before tax with overtime extra for a 45 hour week.

Dublin Coach drivers are on €115 a day before tax, and they work until their shift is done regardless of how long it takes.

The private industry is a race to the bottom.
(2) thanks from:
25-07-2017, 23:47   #57
devnull

Quote:
Dublin Coach drivers are on €115 a day before tax, and they work until their shift is done regardless of how long it takes.

The private industry is a race to the bottom.
So essentially you're saying Dublin Coach are about €115 a day and can be long shifts and Aircoach is about €140 and tends to be better duties.

Do you know how that compares with other privates? Just curious to gauge where those two operators would fit on the overall scale.
26-07-2017, 00:00   #58
Shpudnik

Quote:
When i was driving the Aircoach if someone had no seat they had to get back off the coach.

Anything bus or coach with standing passengers can do no more than 65 km/h, roughly 40mph.

I've never seen anyone standing on a coach journey, no doubt it has happened somewhere in the country though.
I've had it happen before on Dublin Coach. Coming out of Dublin on evening and there was a Hugo crowd for the bus. In the end there was about 4 people sitting on the steps the whole way to Kildare. And we were doing well over 65.
Thanks from:
26-07-2017, 00:03   #59
boardsuser1

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
So essentially you're saying Dublin Coach are about €115 a day and can be long shifts and Aircoach is about €140 and tends to be better duties.

Do you know how that compares with other privates? Just curious to gauge where those two operators would fit on the overall scale.
I drove the Aircoach and would honestly say I really enjoyed it, no messing about, as I mentioned in an earlier post. My day was no longer than 9 hours unless I had a breakdown, which never happened thankfully.

Aircoach and Dublin Coach are at completely different ends of the spectrum.

In part because of First owning Aircoach and they have much more financial clout.

Is it possible to make this thread jointly about both companies to get feedback from passengers who have used both services?

As a driver I rarely see Aircoach looking for drivers, Dublin Coach everyday, that tells you who treats their employees that bit better.

Even the H/R management in DC is regularly rotating, they can't hang onto staff, the guy who interviewed me was the bones of 10 years younger than me and I'm only 32.

I should also mention that DC pay a €15 allowance every week for cleaning and fuelling the coach.

They have no cleaning facilities down here, they park next to the Aircoach Depot, who don't offer much if any assistance to my knowledge.

If someone gets sick on the coach, there's no mop and water to clean it up.

Aircoach pay the best of the privates.

Paddywagon pay €90 a day excluding Sundays.
(2) thanks from:
27-07-2017, 20:31   #60
Matthew Gleeson

Quote:
This is still in service with Aircoach and is actually in very good condition for a 2005.

Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up with DC when withdrawn from service.

Nice! Was on the chinese import today 'Kinglong' I think, was no legroom on it and I'm not tall haha. Whats the process out of interest to get into driving buses?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion