Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-05-2017, 13:56   #31
n97 mini

A simple improvement that could be done right now is have the validator on the right charge the maximum fare from the current location to the end of the route, not the absolute maximum fare. I have noticed when I get the bus (usually one of the 66s) once we get to Heuston Station everyone boarding has to interact with the driver from there on in, as the validator is still charging €2.60 even though there are less than 13 stages left on the route.

This has to affect every single route.
Advertisement
13-05-2017, 15:24   #32
AlekSmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by n97 mini View Post
A simple improvement that could be done right now is have the validator on the right charge the maximum fare from the current location to the end of the route, not the absolute maximum fare. I have noticed when I get the bus (usually one of the 66s) once we get to Heuston Station everyone boarding has to interact with the driver from there on in, as the validator is still charging €2.60 even though there are less than 13 stages left on the route.

This has to affect every single route.
Totally agree here...I wonder why some intern has'nt spotted the ease with which this could be done...?
(2) thanks from:
13-05-2017, 15:35   #33
boobycharlton

I always assumed it was because the old, crap ticketing machines don't have the capability to do so.
13-05-2017, 16:16   #34
hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD345 View Post
There's an article in today's Irish Times detailing the timeline. Local authority meetings start next month, public consultations then follow, with the plan finalised by the end of 2017. Changes to be implemented in the first six months of 2018.
Public consultations are going to lead to bus stops every hundred yards and buses going down every back alley.

We need less public consultation, and more of a dictatorial approach by professionals.
13-05-2017, 16:36   #35
end of the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmm View Post
Public consultations are going to lead to bus stops every hundred yards and buses going down every back alley.

We need less public consultation, and more of a dictatorial approach by professionals.
public consultation is the only acceptible way now and rightly so. we are the users of the service and we are entitled to a say on how our service is operated, and a say we must get. it's the users who will know if the service meets their needs after all.
Advertisement
13-05-2017, 16:59   #36
KD345

Quote:

I think there can be room for both. The bus service is funded by the public and its important communities have a voice in their services.

I think the difference between this project and Network Direct back in 2010 is that this is not a cost cutting exercise. Although presented as improvements, the public were not fooled by the cuts that came with Network Direct. It was widely reported how the bus fleet was being reduced, and for all the positives that came with Network Direct it was very often overshadowed by routes being cut. I remember protests happening across many parts of the city, and even a "save the 19" street party in Inchicore. Residents in Tolka Valley tied balloons to bus stops when the 83a was introduced after weeks of campaigning to restore a bus service through the estate.

I understand some people get annoyed when it appears buses take long winding routes to destinations, but the fact is that the service is being used by locals. Not every route needs to be direct. In Finglas, the 40 meanders its way across the housing estates but is always full, on the flipsde the 140 does an excellent job running directly along the Finglas Road.

I agree with murphaph, getting the fare structure right is crucial. Ideally, any new fare system should be launched when the Luas cross city line opens. There needs to be one fare per journey, regardless of what mode you use or how many connections required.

I'm looking forward to seeing the plans and improvements. This will probably see the first of the 24 hour routes come into place and also the introduction of new orbital services.
Thanks from:
13-05-2017, 17:11   #37
VG31

Quote:
I understand some people get annoyed when it appears buses take long winding routes to destinations, but the fact is that the service is being used by locals. Not every route needs to be direct. In Finglas, the 40 meanders its way across the housing estates but is always full, on the flipsde the 140 does an excellent job running directly along the Finglas Road.
The 140 is a good, reasonably fast direct route but it is not frequent enough. Before the route was changed a few years ago it ran on a 10 min frequency but now it's been cut to a 15-20 min frequency which is ridiculous considering the sheer volume of people that use the route. It needs to be every 5-7 mins in the height of the morning rush-hour rather than 10-15 mins. I cannot get the 140 after 07:30 as all the buses are full.

The 40 is far too long for a bus route. It should be split up into separate Northside and Southside routes.
(2) thanks from:
13-05-2017, 17:23   #38
cgcsb

Quote:
There's an article in today's Irish Times detailing the timeline. Local authority meetings start next month, public consultations then follow, with the plan finalised by the end of 2017. Changes to be implemented in the first six months of 2018.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/cons...81356?mode=amp
A US based consultancy will redesign our bus system, because yanks are great at public transport and this is a FG lead initiative, cost reduction will be central. The plan will probably result in removing bus lanes and building more central car parks.

Also I note the timeline public consultation to completion inside 12 months, hmm something tells me this was supposed to be done long before the new luas opens.
Thanks from:
13-05-2017, 17:32   #39
devnull

Actually you will find that the consultancy was selected following an open tender process and has experience of designing and working on transport briefs throughout the world and not just across America.

It's also no co-incidence the implementation s planned to happen after the Cross City Luas works are completed because that will have a substantial impact on traffic flow, passenger flows and Dublin Bus routes.

But lets not have facts get in the way of a good rant.
Advertisement
13-05-2017, 17:36   #40
hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
It's also no co-incidence the implementation s planned to happen after the Cross City Luas works are completed because that will have a substantial impact on traffic flow, passenger flows and Dublin Bus routes.
I'm concerned that this will be used as a get-out-of-jail card by transport managers (including the Minister) if the LUAS turns into a disaster for bus users. It will be very convenient to deflect criticism by saying there is a review underway.

I don't understand the timing of this at all. This should have been done before the LUAS implementation, or after we knew the impact - not during.
(2) thanks from:
13-05-2017, 17:38   #41
hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by end of the road View Post
public consultation is the only acceptible way now and rightly so. we are the users of the service and we are entitled to a say on how our service is operated, and a say we must get. it's the users who will know if the service meets their needs after all.
Public consultations tend to attract the usual busybodies with lots of time on their hands. They tend to attract politicians who are eager to pack as many services as possible into their local areas. They don't much care if the bus takes 2 hours to get from the city centre to the terminus, as long as someone can walk out their front door to get on a bus and pick up their pension once a week.

Consultations don't tend to attract younger people, or people who work during the day - ironically some of the key users of buses.
13-05-2017, 17:42   #42
cgcsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
Actually you will find that the consultancy was selected following an open tender process and has experience of designing and working on transport briefs throughout the world and not just across America.

But lets not have facts get in the way of a good rant.
I remain sceptical, yes things will change after BXD and there is sufficient data available to model that change and design a new bus system around that. Waiting until after the fact to do a review just smacks of a little last-minute syndrome that's endemic in Irish officialdom.
Thanks from:
13-05-2017, 18:00   #43
markpb

Quote:
Changes to be implemented in the first six months of 2016
That's hilarious. How long did it take to get Network Direct past the unions? They'll be lucky to get agreement that there should even be any changes.
13-05-2017, 18:04   #44
end of the road

Quote:
Public consultations tend to attract the usual busybodies with lots of time on their hands. They tend to attract politicians who are eager to pack as many services as possible into their local areas. They don't much care if the bus takes 2 hours to get from the city centre to the terminus, as long as someone can walk out their front door to get on a bus and pick up their pension once a week.
that's democracy for you. as the people own and use the dublin bus service, we are entitled to a say on how it operates via a public consultation. the authorities have a democratic duty to take our views on board, even if our suggestions can't be implemented. people who know nothing of whether the service meets the people's needs have been the main reason why our transport system is nothing near what it could be. even currently i'm not sure how much our views are taken on board.

Quote:
Consultations don't tend to attract younger people, or people who work during the day - ironically some of the key users of buses.
according to who? if people don't take part in a democratic process that is their choice but they can't be surprised then when they won't have their needs in terms of service provision met.
13-05-2017, 18:09   #45
Spanish Eyes

Flat fare, no interraction with driver, prepaid tickets, like abroad.

Expand the distances between bus stops.

ORBITAL ROUTES please. The lack thereof is causing much of the gridlock in the city centre.

I live in hope.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion