Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-11-2018, 11:08   #2761
punisher5112

Quote:
Originally Posted by CramCycle View Post
In regards DL, are there not facilities for IR staff there? Can the NTA not look into accessing these?
Why would Irish rail provide for a private company.

They removed the public toilets as drug addicts and thugs were destroying them.

It's up to the government and operators to start something and get facilities put in for drivers across the city.
Advertisement
08-11-2018, 11:15   #2762
CramCycle
A wholly unreasonable man

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5112 View Post
Why would Irish rail provide for a private company.

They removed the public toilets as drug addicts and thugs were destroying them.

It's up to the government and operators to start something and get facilities put in for drivers across the city.
I didn't say give, i said look into accessing them. CIE is state owned, the NTA is also state run. Surely there is a simple solution in there.
So are there staff toilets and break areas in DL for IR staff?

This would be me pointing out what you are saying, the government should do something.
Provide a small amount extra to IR for specifically cleaning and maintaining the higher usage of the facilities, if they are there, for the increased amount of use.
The only people who would object to this are those who just want to be awkward.
To be fair to GAI, if the previous posts are true, they are doing more than DB to provide for the drivers, but maybe the pay difference makes it palatable for the DB drivers.
This is, at some endpoints, an easily solvable issue, that the dept of tourism...... should simply order via CIE and the NTA
Thanks from:
08-11-2018, 11:52   #2763
goingnowhere

Just from a very pedantic view, Irish Rail own little or no property, that is all vested in CIE.

CIE does not have an contract with the NTA, the contracts are with the subsidiary companies only.

So the NTA can't twist any arms in DL or elsewhere.
Thanks from:
08-11-2018, 11:52   #2764
soundman45

I just dont get how hung up people are about drivers facilities, yes of course I think GA should and will provide them but stop and think of all the transport companies in the country ie DHL,TNT,UPS, Callinan Coaches, Matthews, Nolan Transport, Dixon Transport etc etc etc. What do these guys do????. Simple they go in somewhere buy a coffee use the facilities and carry on with life.
08-11-2018, 11:59   #2765
markpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingnowhere View Post
Just from a very pedantic view, Irish Rail own little or no property, that is all vested in CIE.

CIE does not have an contract with the NTA, the contracts are with the subsidiary companies only.

So the NTA can't twist any arms in DL or elsewhere.
Who appoints the board of CIE?
Advertisement
08-11-2018, 12:08   #2766
dfx-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CramCycle View Post
I didn't say give, i said look into accessing them. CIE is state owned, the NTA is also state run. Surely there is a simple solution in there.
So are there staff toilets and break areas in DL for IR staff?

This would be me pointing out what you are saying, the government should do something.
Provide a small amount extra to IR for specifically cleaning and maintaining the higher usage of the facilities, if they are there, for the increased amount of use.
The only people who would object to this are those who just want to be awkward.
To be fair to GAI, if the previous posts are true, they are doing more than DB to provide for the drivers, but maybe the pay difference makes it palatable for the DB drivers.
This is, at some endpoints, an easily solvable issue, that the dept of tourism...... should simply order via CIE and the NTA
GA should be expected to provide this themselves. It should be in their contract with the NTA for them to do it just like the depot provision.

We are supposed to be getting away from the old ways of government/political interventions.
Thanks from:
08-11-2018, 13:57   #2767
Dave_Dublin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here we go View Post
From what Iv been told go ahead are currently fitting out a rest room/canteen area in DL and 15€ vouchers for the coffee shop in DL are avalible at the depot for drivers so they can sit in and eat and use facilities as paying customers with no cost to driver
Those vouchers were given out on ONE weekend in October by a supervisor in D.L. and then the remainder were given to drivers who'd be working the 13-hour shifts the following days.

They are NOT available "at the depot" as you say.

. . . . .

D.B. drivers have a room in D.L. DART station to sit and have a break with toilet facilities. G.A.I. drivers are not permitted to access this room.
(2) thanks from:
08-11-2018, 14:28   #2768
punisher5112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Dublin View Post
Those vouchers were given out on ONE weekend in October by a supervisor in D.L. and then the remainder were given to drivers who'd be working the 13-hour shifts the following days.

They are NOT available "at the depot" as you say.

. . . . .

D.B. drivers have a room in D.L. DART station to sit and have a break with toilet facilities. G.A.I. drivers are not permitted to access this room.
That's no longer available as there are no routes breaking there anymore.

Toilet is still available.

On the point asked above by a poster the canteen for ir staff is tiny.

46a drivers luckily still have access to toilet and only right.

As I've mentioned I'm a driver and drive cross city and routes I drive have no toilets at either end.

With the colder weather I'm finding I need to go more often and on many occasions I wouldn't make it to any garage or facilities as they are so far away from route terminus.....

I like the London method and we really need to look at it.
(4) thanks from:
08-11-2018, 16:56   #2769
Stephen15

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5112 View Post
That's no longer available as there are no routes breaking there anymore.

Toilet is still available.

On the point asked above by a poster the canteen for ir staff is tiny.

46a drivers luckily still have access to toilet and only right.

As I've mentioned I'm a driver and drive cross city and routes I drive have no toilets at either end.

With the colder weather I'm finding I need to go more often and on many occasions I wouldn't make it to any garage or facilities as they are so far away from route terminus.....

I like the London method and we really need to look at it.
So basically the room is lying idle apart from the jax. No reason why Go-Ahead couldn't pay rent to DB or IE whoever owns the room to allow their drivers break there and use the jax. I thinks riddiculous that DB or GAI on the 7 or 111 can't use the toilets provided in Bride's Glen for Luas drivers I believe this was rejected by SIPTU represented Luas drivers. The blue pool in Monkstown let's 4 drivers use the toilet there as I have witnessed drivers go in there to use the toilet.

I wouldn't say there any more than 5 IE staff based in DL as there is only ever one member of staff in the ticket office and a small number of DARTs terminate there.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-11-2018, 18:29   #2770
CramCycle
A wholly unreasonable man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfx- View Post
GA should be expected to provide this themselves. It should be in their contract with the NTA for them to do it just like the depot provision.

We are supposed to be getting away from the old ways of government/political interventions.
You are of course correct but in a world where there are multiple operators running, it makes sense to either have shared facilities run by the overarching body or for the current owners to make them available at market rates.

The issue here once again relies at the foot of the NTA, they should have either specified it in the tender, or insured that based on the routes rendered that such facilities were available.

The idea that SIPTU drivers could stop access to a toilet facility says it all really, how is that even a union issue? Unless it was owned by Transfection, then it should have been opened by the NTA to all staff under their remit.
Thanks from:
08-11-2018, 19:33   #2771
Cookie_Monster

Send a message via Skype™ to Cookie_Monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfx- View Post
why, that just leads to pointless, expensive duplication of facilities. The NTA should be providing them for all, mixed if they need to be too.
If the companies change in future it means no impact to facilities as well.
(4) thanks from:
09-11-2018, 15:53   #2772
Stephen15

DB looking for drivers. I wonder will Go-Ahead start to struggle to retain staff now.
(2) thanks from:
10-11-2018, 11:57   #2773
dashcamdanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen15 View Post
DB looking for drivers. I wonder will Go-Ahead start to struggle to retain staff now.
I think they might lose a few , but the 2k bond is a real anchor for them.
10-11-2018, 12:26   #2774
Stephen15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashcamdanny View Post
I think they might lose a few , but the 2k bond is a real anchor for them.
Perhaps but it may mostly effect the ones who did who already had a D licence before they joined GAI. As the 2k was only for the ones who they trained up themselves.
Thanks from:
10-11-2018, 19:52   #2775
rorybyrne7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen15 View Post
Perhaps but it may mostly effect the ones who did who already had a D licence before they joined GAI. As the 2k was only for the ones who they trained up themselves.
I don't think that bond will worry the drivers the extra money they will earn in DB will well cover that bond. plus GAI said in media coverage and on the news they will cover the cost of training drivers.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion