Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of painting new build 148 square meter

• 09-09-2019 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi there any idea of what would be a realistic quote for painting a brand new build interior and exterior for a 3 bed detached house 148 square meters (1593 square foot). Front exterior has brick work on ground level up to upstairs windows so only half of the front exterior would need paint.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

10k ish would be a very rough ballpark. Obviously that's unseen,how's plastering, which paints to use, schedule etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Ceepo

10k ish would be a very rough ballpark. Obviously that's unseen,how's plastering, which paints to use, schedule etc etc

When you say 10k ish... do you mean €10,000 ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Yes, €10,000 would be a very rough estimate... ceilings, walls, woodwork, and that's taking the exterior into play also. Again that's sight unseen.

This being the internet you'll probably get 10 different figures from 10 different people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

I recently had the interior of the house fully painted, including stairs and front door for approx 2,500 including paint. House is about 2600 square feet. Couldn't tell you what exterior would cost but 10k sounds expensive to me. Would recommend you price around and go with someone who you know does good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

MastiffMrs wrote: »
    I recently had the interior of the house fully painted, including stairs and front door for approx 2,500 including paint. House is about 2600 square feet. Couldn't tell you what exterior would cost but 10k sounds expensive to me. Would recommend you price around and go with someone who you know does good work.

Out of interest - how long did it take? How many people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

No way it will be 10k for that size property. Thats insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭duffman13

No way it will be 10k for that size property. Thats insane.

I'd agree, unless the painter is buying you some very specific highly expensive paint you've specifically requested that would be madness.

OP depends on a lot of factors, location and if your buying your own paint etc but that would be a couple of days work for two lads based on info provided and it being a new build so presumably a good plastered finish for them to work with. Get a few quotes and go from there

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

duffman13 wrote: »
    couple of days work for two lads based on info provided

No chance :)
    Not saying the price is good/bad - but there's no way 2 lads will prep and paint a 150sqm house inside and out in "a couple of days" - even if your "couple" means a bit more than 2.

Edit: and i just read its detatched :) - so all 4 sides...

Yes, €10,000 would be a very rough estimate... ceilings, walls, woodwork, and that's taking the exterior into play also. Again that's sight unseen.

This being the internet you'll probably get 10 different figures from 10 different people :)

Out of interest, could you give a rough break down of how you came to that price...

While theres no doubt there are a lot of factors to take into account ie location quality of paint etc... €10,000 definitely seems waaayyy over the top.

Op... it's hard to give a price without knowing more information like the paint finish you want, matt, washable matt or soft sheen for walls, painted or varnished timber work. Whether the skirting door frames are regular size etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,357 ✭✭✭✭kippy

OP,
    I had the outside of a 4 bed detached house (not a new build) painted a couple of years ago. I supplied the paint. Front of house has mostly brickwork do did not need much paint.

Before doing it, I got 4 prices. Ranged from €750 up to around €4,000. All included power wash and prep before hand.
    I can only assume the higher prices did not want/need the work.
    I went with the cheapest price in the end after checking for relevant insurance, tax compliance, and reviews of previous work.
    Housed was prepped in a few hours one evening, then painted over the next long day with about 3 people working on it - 2 coats.

Was really happy with the work. Again this was just outdoor but the lesson is to document exactly what you want done, and get a number of prices for the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

duffman13 wrote: »
    I'd agree, unless the painter is buying you some very specific highly expensive paint you've specifically requested that would be madness.

OP depends on a lot of factors, location and if your buying your own paint etc but that would be a couple of days work for two lads based on info provided and it being a new build so presumably a good plastered finish for them to work with. Get a few quotes and go from there
    A couple of days work for two lads???

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    Out of interest - how long did it take? How many people?

One guy, took about 2-3 weeks. Painting over the pine stairs and wooden door probably took the most effort. And filling in a lot of cracks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭oceanman

op, are you supplying the paint and material ect. if so just ask them what they charge as a daily rate and work it out from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Andrew_dub

In most cases price depends on quality and materials.

Cheap (bad option)
    Interior
    Ceilings + walls: no base coat as primer (mix paint+polybond+water), minor preparations, only 2 coats of paint.
    Woodwork: no knotting solutin, no bin primer, no use of 2 pack wood filler, only the cheapest polyfilla, only 2 coats of paint, I even saw at one construction site that painer used emulsion for ceilings as undercoat for woodwork).
    Bathroom ceilings: no stabilising solution as primer.
    As little as possible using of masking tape.
    Exterior
    No stabilising solution, no Owatrol EB primer mixed into 1st coat, no plastic on windows, only 2 coats of masonry paint.

To make very competitive price means to save on everything. Result in few years: Paint pilling out from bathroom ceilings, Brown spots on woodwork where knots - you will neve get rid of it, not straight lines along skirtings, sockets, switchers. If you sand walls and ceiligs when decorate house next time - paint on the walls may start to pill out. Exterior: paint splashes on window frames and glass and hall door, paint will start to bubble and pilling out in few years time, only one wat to fix it - to strip walls with powerwasher to bare concret and window sills with heath gun and to do proper job.

So, think twice when get the cheapest one, better get more expensive one, ask for all the materials and consiquence he will do the job and require the best finish relative to the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Very rough indeed... Jesus you must be easy pickings for trades people.

Andrew_dub wrote: »
    In most cases price depends on quality and materials.

Cheap (bad option)
    Interior
    Ceilings + walls: no base coat as primer (mix paint+polybond+water), minor preparations, only 2 coats of paint.
    Woodwork: no knotting solutin, no bin primer, no use of 2 pack wood filler, only the cheapest polyfilla, only 2 coats of paint, I even saw at one construction site that painer used emulsion for ceilings as undercoat for woodwork).
    Bathroom ceilings: no stabilising solution as primer.
    As little as possible using of masking tape.
    Exterior
    No stabilising solution, no Owatrol EB primer mixed into 1st coat, no plastic on windows, only 2 coats of masonry paint.

To make very competitive price means to save on everything. Result in few years: Paint pilling out from bathroom ceilings, Brown spots on woodwork where knots - you will neve get rid of it, not straight lines along skirtings, sockets, switchers. If you sand walls and ceiligs when decorate house next time - paint on the walls may start to pill out. Exterior: paint splashes on window frames and glass and hall door, paint will start to bubble and pilling out in few years time, only one wat to fix it - to strip walls with powerwasher to bare concret and window sills with heath gun and to do proper job.

So, think twice when get the cheapest one, better get more expensive one, ask for all the materials and consiquence he will do the job and require the best finish relative to the price.

I dont disagree with some of the above but just to point out a few things, and also fully aware that everyone will have their own way of doing things..
    Interior
    You DO NOT need to put polybond either mixed in the paint or dilute on the wall.
    You DO NOT need stabilizing solution on a bathroom ceiling. Paint peeling on bathrooms ceiling is in most case because the moisture can not disperse, and lack of ventilation. If you use matt emulsion paint instead of soft sheen or moisture resistant paint than you wont have this problem.
    Using polyfilla for filling small holes including nail holes is fine. (This is what it is designed for) It is not necessary to use 2 pack unless theres a chance pollyfilla will fail due the the amount used.
    A GOOD painter should be able to CUT IN with out using masking tape..
    External
    Again it is not necessary to use a stabilizer unless you are painting onto an unstable surface. It is also no necessary to use EB primer mixed through the paint.
    People have been painting externally a lot longer than EB primer is on the market..

If in doubt refer to the paint manufactory guide lines regarding application...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Matt emulsion won't necessarily stop peeling in a bathroom imo, but bang on all other points

Advertisement