Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ottoman beds for storage?

Options
  • 18-08-2019 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of replacing our old divan beds with ottomans to maximise storage in the bedrooms as we're tight on space and I hate utter.

Just wondering if the extra cost of ottoman beds are worth it?

How practical are they? Can you fit much in them and are they awkward to lift and use with a mattress on top?

Are they a gimmick whereby you fill them and never open them up again or can they can a practical, everyday storage solution?

Worth the cost or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 steam iron

My first post on boards! Been lurking for years.

I'd also love to hear about other thoughts on this also.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Bought an ottoman bed in super king size only a month ago in the sales. Its a Faith and Ethan base and it cost €600 reduced from €720, the mattress was extra on top of this.

Advice if considering purchasing-
    -Ensure it has decent height, more height=more storage space
    -Ensure the lifting mechanism is not cheap because if it fails you'll need two people to operate it, one to hold it up while the other gets stuff in and out of it.
    -Try to get one with a dust cover that covers the floor.

Overall Im happy. Compared to a divan bed with 4 drawers an ottoman has almost triple the storage space. When looking for beds all divans seem to be sold with an extra €50 cost per drawer so 4 x adds €200 to the cost of the base, in which case you would be better off spending the extra on an ottoman as you get way more storage space.

Regards 'everyday storage' I dont think they are designed or meant to be opened up every single day so you cant use one as a wardrobe or anything. I use mine to store winter clothing and bedding, my snowboard and any kind of other stuff I have that is rarely used such as DIY equipment, small step ladder, drills, painting gear etc. I typically only open it once a week to get a handheld hoover. Its easy to open for one person with the mattress still on, it just needs a good two handed lift and it boosts up.

I'm glad I bought it as it has free up a lot of storage space in cupboards, the hot press etc. I'll be upgrading another bed next year and will get another ottoman there too, I dont really need it at the moment but more so just future proofing for when I do need more storage space. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I got the beds with the drawers in the bottom and find them brilliant.

I have my shoes in one on my side and socks and undies in the other - so handy as I can't fit a chest of drawers in the room. My partner can store all his runners in the other side as well!

I bought cheap enough bases but I only got two drawers in the bed for the spare room and am raging I ddn't pay the extra to get the four as its so handy for shoes etc.

Advertisement