Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Italian Campsites (Fly/Drive Holiday)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

Lots of campsites along the Lido di Jeselo/Venezia

Ferry ride from Venice or bus ride from Treviso. I'd recommend a car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Any recommendations on Car Hire Companies at Verona Airport please?

Also how far in advance is best to book ?

TIA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Any recommendations on Car Hire Companies at Verona Airport please?

Also how far in advance is best to book ?

TIA

Try Centauro rent a car or Autoeurope. I've hired through both and no issues. Just take lots of before and after photos. Get your excess insurance before you go. Booking in advance will give you a better selection to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭westgolf

We used indigo car hire this year and found them excellent. They cover most of the airports that Ryanair flies into.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

bells12 wrote: »
    For Bella Italia, can anyone recommend a good transfer company to get from Bergamo airport to the campsite as not renting a car.

think we used suntransfers, no issues, would recommend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭yellow hen

We're close to booking Bella Italia but just trying to figure out the accommodation. We could rent a mobile home for 1500 or an apartment for 1100. On the attached map, the apartments are in the cerise pink to the top right. I can't figure out if this is a good location or not? Are the apartments nice also? Can't guarantee a ground floor one at the time of booking which is a bit of a negative point for me.
    https://res.cloudinary.com/holiday-images/image/upload/q_auto:eco,f_auto/v1427992098/mappa-2014-bellaita_csd0fy.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭poppy37

yellow hen wrote: »
    We're close to booking Bella Italia but just trying to figure out the accommodation. We could rent a mobile home for 1500 or an apartment for 1100. On the attached map, the apartments are in the cerise pink to the top right. I can't figure out if this is a good location or not? Are the apartments nice also? Can't guarantee a ground floor one at the time of booking which is a bit of a negative point for me.
    https://res.cloudinary.com/holiday-images/image/upload/q_auto:eco,f_auto/v1427992098/mappa-2014-bellaita_csd0fy.pdf

The apartments are pretty small from what I’ve heard. We have only stayed in mobiles once with Eurocamp for around €1200 and this past summer with Select Camp for €1400. We have booked for next year direct with Bella Italia and the mobile is a Girasole Suite which includes towels and bedding for €1250.

It’s a big site but nothing is too far a walk, the bungalows and most of the apartments are near the pool area, the supermarket, veg shop and souvenirs, tobacco shop etc are at the bottom of the site beside the lake.

My advice would be to join the Bella Italia camping group on Facebook. It’s a very friendly group and even if you do a search of it you will find plenty of posts about the apartments. It’s a closed group but once you request to join you will be granted access very quickly. It’s about the only thing I use Facebook for.

poppy37 wrote: »
    The apartments are pretty small from what I’ve heard. We have only stayed in mobiles once with Eurocamp for around €1200 and this past summer with Select Camp for €1400. We have booked for next year direct with Bella Italia and the mobile is a Girasole Suite which includes towels and bedding for €1250.

It’s a big site but nothing is too far a walk, the bungalows and most of the apartments are near the pool area, the supermarket, veg shop and souvenirs, tobacco shop etc are at the bottom of the site beside the lake.

My advice would be to join the Bella Italia camping group on Facebook. It’s a very friendly group and even if you do a search of it you will find plenty of posts about the apartments. It’s a closed group but once you request to join you will be granted access very quickly. It’s about the only thing I use Facebook for.

Thanks so much. I had been trying the bella italia site but everything seemed booked up. Then I found a girasole mobile for 7 nights for €660 so I booked it. Figured we could add 2/3 nights in venice at the end of the 7 nights. The site didnt require any booking deposit.. is that right?

Thanks so much. I had been trying the bella italia site but everything seemed booked up. Then I found a girasole mobile for 7 nights for €660 so I booked it. Figured we could add 2/3 nights in venice at the end of the 7 nights. The site didnt require any booking deposit.. is that right?

They will email you in about a week to ten days(they are v slow so be prepared) you will have to create an account and then they will send you on details for a bank transfer for the deposit. It’s easier to do it in the bank than online. It could take another few days before they confirm they have it. You don’t have to pay the balance until the day before you go home.

That’s a good price you got, ours is for ten night end June beginning of July

They will email you in about a week to ten days(they are v slow so be prepared) you will have to create an account and then they will send you on details for a bank transfer for the deposit. It’s easier to do it in the bank than online. It could take another few days before they confirm they have it. You don’t have to pay the balance until the day before you go home.

That’s a good price you got, ours is for ten night end June beginning of July

Brilliant, thanks poppy. We might be neighbours there... we go on 24th june!

• Advertisement

I had a family member come back this year and stayed in the bungalows
    Said very bad inside
    Very little mod cons and basic
    No toaster/kettle even
    Run down
    Wouldn’t stay in one again
    We stayed in a Avant from Eurocamp
    Much nicer
    Better off with the mobiles I think

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I had a family member come back this year and stayed in the bungalows
    Said very bad inside
    Very little mod cons and basic
    No toaster/kettle even
    Run down
    Wouldn’t stay in one again
    We stayed in a Avant from Eurocamp
    Much nicer
    Better off with the mobiles I think

Do you know, the web photos even look a bit sad and drab. The mobiles look more compact alright but definitely brighter and more modern.

Now on a different note, we were looking at the cost of transfers from Milan airports and they're approx 160 e/w so we're thinking of hiring a car from Milan and returning it to Verona as we take a day trip there. Would you recommend car hire? (we've two small kids so moving between different types of public transport after getting off a flight is never going to go well).

Saw so much on here about Bella Italia, decided to give it a go. Booked a Girasole for my wife and I. 7 nights from May 2nd next year I know it's cooler than peak season but still warmer than here at that time of year. 216 euro for the 7 days, 230 euro to Ryanair and 99 euro for the car hire. Circa 550 euro for a week's holiday at Lake Garda, bargain.
    Just have to break it to the wife we are going to Italy for the 9th time, ;-)

Do you know, the web photos even look a bit sad and drab. The mobiles look more compact alright but definitely brighter and more modern.

Now on a different note, we were looking at the cost of transfers from Milan airports and they're approx 160 e/w so we're thinking of hiring a car from Milan and returning it to Verona as we take a day trip there. Would you recommend car hire? (we've two small kids so moving between different types of public transport after getting off a flight is never going to go well).
    I would always recommend car hire as it gives you so much freedom, but having the hassle of travelling with child seats can be a pain. Public transport from the lake area to Verona is very good and really inexpensive.

We booked a taxi through sun transfers from Verona and back again
    Our lads were 16 & 14 at the time so we already had decided before we went that we were not going to do a lot of travel around as the last 4-5 holidays comprised of car hire and just doing a lot of driving
    We hired bikes for a few days and basically walked or took the bus to the water park and garda land from the town
    Milan airport to Bella is a bit of a trek though
    Probably as other have recommended and with you having 2 small kids its just better all round
    Check with the hire company about dropping off at another airport as they might charge an extra fee

You definitely made a better choice with the mobile. I find especially with the likes of the mobile home companies they upgrade them frequently
    Eurocamp had only just put in the Avant home the year before so they were great
    The bungalows I was told look run down and probably never got a lick of paint since they were built

I don't see the Girasole marked in the index of the map but they have green rectangles on the map, maybe this is them?

Our plot was located up in the far left #76, 3 spaces left of the TO Area I think

It was really quiet and right by the front which suited us perfect and had nice shading from the sun to sit out on the deck

I hope they improved the WIFI cos its diabolical there and mobile reception was terrible aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 13,623 ✭✭✭✭josip

Be very careful driving a hire car in Italy, especially in towns/cities.
    There are a lot of experiences here and the motor forum of fines for speeding in zones that are purely revenue generators for the local councils.

I booked last Wednesday on the Bella Italia website (https://www.camping-bellaitalia.it/en/) but haven't yet heard from them yet re paying the booking deposit. Does that sound abnormally long?

I booked last Wednesday on the Bella Italia website (https://www.camping-bellaitalia.it/en/) but haven't yet heard from them yet re paying the booking deposit. Does that sound abnormally long?

No it usually takes at least a week if not ten days. It’s not the easiest way to book but worth it for the savings

No it usually takes at least a week if not ten days. It’s not the easiest way to book but worth it for the savings

Ah that's fine. No hurry so long as it's the norm. Was a bargain price so I definitely won't complain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭redmissb

We were in Bella this year, stayed in Acacia mobile. It was fine, could have been cleaner but got such a good price I let it go. Mum and her friend were there too and stayed in one of the apartments..basic but clean. They got a ground floor one, I wouldn't book them myself as I'd prefer decking outside and wouldn't like upper ones as balcony looked very small. Booked again for next year, staying in a safari tent with Eurocamp, location of tents is amazing..right down at the lake. Such a beautiful part of the world, can't wait to go back again/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Hello
    we were thinking of flying into Milan in late June and hiring a car and going camping for 3+ weeks in the north of the country
    couple travelling with a 20 month old

can anyone recommend a few campsites?
    we're not into huge campsites and self catering is our usual choice
    sites with a pool would be a plus

we were in the french alps for 2 weeks last year so we thought Italy might be a nice change

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭crunchie1

Hi, we're hoping to travel to Italy this yr (kids 8 +6).,Looking at Altomicio, MArina De Venezia & Spiaggia E mare :eek:..Worried about the #Mosquitos! Has anyone any recommendations on any of these , however after reading the posts i'm looking at Bella Italia even though we dont like large parks..
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

We stayed for 1 week last summer in Ca Savio.

Really great spot, would recommend.
    Near the beach, great facilities , and not too far for a day trip to Venice

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Hello
    we were thinking of flying into Milan in late June and hiring a car and going camping for 3+ weeks in the north of the country

we were in the french alps for 2 weeks last year so we thought Italy might be a nice change

thanks
    Can I ask, did you stay in Campsites in the French Alps and if so, which ones? We have holidayed in Annecy a few times over the last few years and love the area, but the nearby campsites are a lot more expensive than a SC apartment would be. Not sure if it's worth the extra spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,623 ✭✭✭✭josip

ncmc wrote: »
    Can I ask, did you stay in Campsites in the French Alps and if so, which ones? We have holidayed in Annecy a few times over the last few years and love the area, but the nearby campsites are a lot more expensive than a SC apartment would be. Not sure if it's worth the extra spend.

We stayed in Nature & Lodge near Chamonix a couple of years ago.

https://goo.gl/maps/dSu8LiX4aaeqXdiV9
    Campsite very nice.

No pool, but excellently located if you're there for the mountains.

ncmc wrote: »

Pralognan la Vanoise. Chalet in campsite with indoor pool. Beautiful spot and lovely campsite. Graded walks that start from the campsite
    La Rosiere. Mobile home with small outdoor pool. Great views, campsite a bit basic but met out needs when out hiking with baby

Hello

thanks

I'm quoting myself here but would anyone be able to suggest a few places?

Otherwise it's back to France we go

I'm quoting myself here but would anyone be able to suggest a few places?

Otherwise it's back to France we go

Milan to Lake Garda is not a mad drive. A little place called Pacengo close to Lazise has a nice sized campsite right beside the village. Close to the lake and some nice restaurants vin the village and a self service laundry which is important with a 20 month old, my memory of this campsite was very child friendly and a nice pool area but you also have the lake. It's only a few K from Pescheria del Garda, which is the autostrada exit.
    If driving is not an issue there is a lovely campsite outside Rome called Camping Fabulous. Nice sized camp with a nice pool and good amenities on site. Public transport close to the site into the heart of Rome is brilliant.
    Milan to Rome is a long drive but if it were me I would spilt it over two days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭crunchie1

Hi, going to book altomincio this weekend..Finalising dates and have a query about the weather in early June or last week in June..Just afraid the weather wont be good on the first week of June? Any experiences?
    Thanks

Advertisement