Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

radio nova

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

FanadMan wrote: »
    Seriously.....what is it with U bloody 2? Are they under contract to play them every hour and twice on a Sunday? Over the weekend I must have heard them at least once from every DJ. Is Brannigan getting money or some other "service" from Bono for all this airtime?

You think thats bad...its going to be Coldplay Coldplay Coldplay until July........:eek:....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyTClarke

The regular bombardment of the same few U2 tracks is certainly nauseating (coming from a fan of the band) . Mind you, the station has always been a U2 love in, hasn't it? As for Coldplay, what are they even doing on Nova in the first place?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,031 ✭✭✭✭beertons

What was the last nova noise?

beertons wrote: »
    What was the last nova noise?
    An apple hitting a glass. The guess wasn't 100%, she said an apple rolling into a pint glass, but they gave it to her anyway. €8,500 if I recall.

Karsini wrote: »
    An apple hitting a glass. The guess wasn't 100%, she said an apple rolling into a pint glass, but they gave it to her anyway. €8,500 if I recall.

I think that was last year. This one was under 4000.

• Advertisement

beertons wrote: »
    I think that was last year. This one was under 4000.
    There hasn't been one since that (with the exception of the current one). They replaced it with Stripped Back last year and then brought it back.

My mistake so. I thought I heard something new yesterday, presumed it was won.

I'm quite surprised they brought the Nova Noise back after the s**t storm that was unleashed when it concluded last year. Listeners were screaming blue murder because the eventual winner didn't guess the EXACT noise. Ok, she said it was an apple rolling INTO a PINT glass, when it was an apple hitting off the side of a small glass. I think what riled the complainants was that Nova are normally pedantic about such things and wouldn't have awarded the prize money under normal circumstances. However, they were on a deadline to find a winner (I'm guessing they needed to finish up before the money pot got too big) and so decided to settle for ' close enough'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I'm quite surprised they brought the Nova Noise back after the s**t storm that was unleashed when it concluded last year. Listeners were screaming blue murder because the eventual winner didn't guess the EXACT noise. Ok, she said it was an apple rolling INTO a PINT glass, when it was an apple hitting off the side of a small glass. I think what riled the complainants was that Nova are normally pedantic about such things and wouldn't have awarded the prize money under normal circumstances. However, they were on a deadline to find a winner (I'm guessing they needed to finish up before the money pot got too big) and so decided to settle for ' close enough'.

Hope someone wins the Noise soon and they go back to Stripped Back - at least that was based on what Nova is supposed to be about......Classic Rock.

Hope someone wins the Noise soon and they go back to Stripped Back - at least that was based on what Nova is supposed to be about......Classic Rock.

Indeed. I found Stripped Back to be quite interesting. I never got it right but it showed me how much detail goes into music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I noticed that Lisa Gernon is on again this evening. This must be her third week.

Has Jack Hyland been moved out of that slot again....or: Has he been let go, just like the previous occupant of that slot - Sinead Ni Mhordha?

If Jack has been let go and replaced by someone new to the station (Lisa), I don't understand what is going on.

Perhaps someone could enlighten me on all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I noticed that Lisa Gernon on again this evening. This must be her third week.

Has Jack Hyland been moved out of that slot again....or: Has he been let go, just like the previous occupant of that slot - Sinead Ni Mhordha?

If Jack has been let go and replaced by someone new to the station (Lisa), I don't understand what is going on.

Perhaps someone could enlighten me on all of this.

I dont understand why they would let a 'live' presenter go and replace them with another 'live' presenter, if it is 'cost cutting measures'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Trebor176

There was a Mark Taaffe filling in for Mike Moloney on Saturday. I checked his Linkedin, and it says he's been a part-time presenter with Nova since May 2015. I can only assume that he usually does overnights? I can't say that I've ever heard him before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Trebor176 wrote: »
    There was a Mark Taaffe filling in for Mike Moloney on Saturday. I checked his Linkedin, and it says he's been a part-time presenter with Nova since May 2015. I can only assume that he usually does overnights? I can't say that I've ever heard him before.

Mark Taaffe used to be on after Peter Devlin on Saturday nights. He came from dance pirate Energy FM in this decade! I think he was its station manager. Ex-Nova presenter Steve McQuarrie (now with FM104) had previously been with the same pirate!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Mark Taaffe used to be on after Peter Devlin on Saturday nights. He came from dance pirate Energy FM in this decade! I think he was its station manager. Ex-Nova presenter Steve McQuarrie (now with FM104) had previously been with the same pirate!

Thanks for the info :)

I completely agree, FanadMan. I initially thought that they were putting a lid on the Nova Noise once and for all once Stripped Back was introduced. It's a much better game in various ways. For a start, it doesn't have the potential to drag on for months, as the song eventually comes together within a relatively short space of time. Also, the answer is in black and white. The song title a contestant gives is either correct or incorrect. There's no leeway for a contestant getting it close enough, as can happen when trying to put a random noise into words (and thereby avoiding similar controversy like that of the last Nova Noise winner). Finally, of course, as you pointed out, it's a game that's in tune with what the station is supposed to be about. It's a game that rock music fans can enjoy, as it gives an interesting insight into how a song is composed. As for the Nova Noise, who gives a damn what it is?

You would think....but you would be wrong..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭TheLonelyOne

Trebor176 wrote: »

Doubt they could afford to have someone do over nights. Think that normally only happens when someone has had a few drinks and fancies going on air for a few hours.

Think that normally only happens when someone has had a few drinks and fancies going on air for a few hours.

I think that applies to most of their programming at the best of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Broadcastonfm

I think that applies to most of their programming at the best of times.

That's a little unfair. The general view in most Dublin stations is that the listenership isn't there to justify overnights. Even radio 1 uses Gold's overnight automatic feed

• Advertisement

That's a little unfair. The general view in most Dublin stations is that the listenership isn't there to justify overnights. Even radio 1 uses Gold's overnight automatic feed

It was only meant in jest, if I'm honest. Nova is my first point of call when the radio goes on. Partly because there's no other choice for rock fans on FM, and partly because they can still surprise you with good content when they feel like it.

It was only meant in jest, if I'm honest. Nova is my first point of call when the radio goes on. Partly because there's no other choice for rock fans on FM, and partly because they can still surprise you with good content when they feel like it.

Think the content isn't even decided by the DJs themselves. Have an email from one of their primetime DJs in response to a request for something heavy like AC/DC........"They've given me a large dose of soft-c%$k pop today". Think only non primetime DJs John Clarke and Pat James get to play what they want which is a shame.

Also, who is that DJ that plays nights at weekends? Track O'Brianain or something? Is this another BAI thing like the A-Z of rock in Esperanto that's currently playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭prunudo

I've noticed a lot of "a large dose of soft-c%$k pop today" lately. It's certainly moving further away from the classic rock or even just rock format.

Think the content isn't even decided by the DJs themselves. Have an email from one of their primetime DJs in response to a request for something heavy like AC/DC........"They've given me a large dose of soft-c%$k pop today". Think only non primetime DJs John Clarke and Pat James get to play what they want which is a shame.

Also, who is that DJ that plays nights at weekends? Track O'Brianain or something? Is this another BAI thing like the A-Z of rock in Esperanto that's currently playing?

Funny you should say that, I heard something to that effect from a mate of mine before. He got chatting to one or two of the primetime DJs at one of Nova's 'Birthday Parties'. As they all seemed sound enough and were happily chatting away, he just asked them out straight ' Why are the same songs played on such heavy rotation?' Their answer was that they didn't get to choose their playlists, that they were given a limited list of tracks from which they could draw. They even went so far as to say that they were sick of being restricted by the meagre pool of content available and having to enthusiastically introduce 'Simply Irresistible' or 'Band on the Run' ten to twelve times in the same week.

Funny you should say that, I heard something to that effect from a mate of mine before. He got chatting to one or two of the primetime DJs at one of Nova's 'Birthday Parties'. As they all seemed sound enough and were happily chatting away, he just asked them out straight ' Why are the same songs played on such heavy rotation?' Their answer was that they didn't get to choose their playlists, that they were given a limited list of tracks from which they could draw. They even went so far as to say that they were sick of being restricted by the meagre pool of content available and having to enthusiastically introduce 'Simply Irresistible' or 'Band on the Run' ten to twelve times in the same week.

Or something by U2 every 2 hours :D

On the serious side, it's not fair on the DJs though. Most of them are music fans (well, PC anyway ;) ) but can't get to play what they want. Seems that if you are 7AM to 7PM Monday to Friday you have to follow the party line (AKA Brannigan). Wish there were more backbones in Nova.

They had the nerve to post a pic on Facebook yesterday labelled "CLASSIC ROCK Because today's music sucks. A lot" - total hypocrisy!

Or something by U2 every 2 hours :D

On the serious side, it's not fair on the DJs though. Most of them are music fans (well, PJ anyway ;) ) but can't get to play what they want. Seems that if you are 7AM to 7PM Monday to Friday you have to follow the party line (AKA Brannigan). Wish there were more backbones in Nova.

They had the nerve to post a pic on Facebook yesterday labelled "CLASSIC ROCK Because today's music sucks. A lot" - total hypocrisy!

Sorry, just corrected your post, dont mention it..:)
    FYI Brannigan had their backbones removed as part of their contract, along with music knowledge, everything you hear has been Googled and censored, remember Good morning Viatnam...bit like that...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Infoanon

On the serious side, it's not fair on the DJs though. Most of them are music fans (well, PC anyway ;) ) but can't get to play what they want. Seems that if you are 7AM to 7PM Monday to Friday you have to follow the party line (AKA Brannigan). Wish there were more backbones in Nova.
    !

When was radio any different ?, Nova is a business and highly formatted radio is how the radio business works

Infoanon wrote: »
    When was radio any different ?, Nova is a business and highly formatted radio is how the radio business works

Well, when you advertise yourself as a classic rock radio station and then restrict the DJs from playing classic rock (well, the same couple of dozen classic tracks) then surely it's false advertising and going against the original format of the station.

If the powers that be kept their shackles off the DJs and let them play what the listeners want, they'd have more listeners which would increase revenue. So how does the current formatting keep the current listeners or attract new ones when they flat out refuse to play what is requested? It's obvious from this thread and others that Nova are failing their listeners by playing more pop-ish music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

two words : format radio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Well, when you advertise yourself as a classic rock radio station and then restrict the DJs from playing classic rock (well, the same couple of dozen classic tracks) then surely it's false advertising and going against the original format of the station.

If the powers that be kept their shackles off the DJs and let them play what the listeners want, they'd have more listeners which would increase revenue. So how does the current formatting keep the current listeners or attract new ones when they flat out refuse to play what is requested? It's obvious from this thread and others that Nova are failing their listeners by playing more pop-ish music.

The JNLRs say differently - and as much as I would like more variety commercial needs must take precedence.

As I wrote many years ago the term 'rock' covers a lot of styles of music - if you look at Novas original application that included the likes of Duffy on their sample playlist.

Advertisement