Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Retro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭leeside11

DeniG2 wrote: »
    Can anyone remember an advert from the 1980s where a man walks into a shop looking for the perfect glass (if memory serves me correctly), and proceeds to drink from a bottle of sherry or cognac and then walks out of the shop without buying anything and just giving a cheery Merry Christmas.
    I can't find it on YouTube but I think it was for Harvey's Bristol Cream
    Hopefully someone here remembers it, it's driving me mad, would love to see it again

Looked up UK TV Adverts 1955-1990 website. Have a memory of that ad alright. Was it "Class In A Glass". Nothing on YouTube though.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭DeniG2

leeside11 wrote: »
    Looked up UK TV Adverts 1955-1990 website. Have a memory of that ad alright. Was it "Class In A Glass". Nothing on YouTube though.

Hmmm, might have been.

I have searched Google every christmas for the last few years but have never found it. I can visualise almost everything about it, even how the shopper looks and sounds but the advert name escapes me. It might be time to take down the old VCR and tapes from the attic and hope there's some evidence in them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭DvB

DeniG2 wrote: »
    Can anyone remember an advert from the 1980s where a man walks into a shop looking for the perfect glass (if memory serves me correctly), and proceeds to drink from a bottle of sherry or cognac and then walks out of the shop without buying anything and just giving a cheery Merry Christmas.
    I can't find it on YouTube but I think it was for Harvey's Bristol Cream
    Hopefully someone here remembers it, it's driving me mad, would love to see it again

I remember that advert, pretty sure it was Harvey Bristol Cream sherry as you suggest. Not sure if it was specifically a christmas advert though.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭DeniG2

DvB wrote: »
    I remember that advert, pretty sure it was Harvey Bristol Cream sherry as you suggest. Not sure if it was specifically a christmas advert though.

It was a christmas advert alright, he says Merry Christmas when he leaves the shop (afair)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Probably not PC now but I'm old enough to remember cigarettes came in Christmas wrapping. 50 cigs in a high quality tin or plastic box that was great for holding your crayons/coloured pencils!

Lol, this post reminded me of something I had forgotten! One Christmas I remember my nanny had saved up a load of her empty cigarette boxes and we wrapped them all in wrapping paper, put some thread around them like ribbon on a gift plus a loop and hey presto, we had made loads of our own Christmas tree decorations. That was back when money was scarce and you had to be thrifty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

miamee wrote: »
    Lol, this post reminded me of something I had forgotten! One Christmas I remember my nanny had saved up a load of her empty cigarette boxes and we wrapped them all in wrapping paper, put some thread around them like ribbon on a gift plus a loop and hey presto, we had made loads of our own Christmas tree decorations. That was back when money was scarce and you had to be thrifty!

Miamee.... I remember doing this with matchboxes.....believe it or not I had one up until recently but I think I might have binned it. If I find it in my Mums box of decorations I’ll post a link...
    I made it way back in the 80,s! Pretty sure I remember the cigarettes tins as well, my Aunts used to buy them for my Nana in dutyfree on the carferry!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Sundew, I think we might have had matchboxes as well, lol! I must ask my parents if there are any of them left btu like that, it was in the 80s so goodness knows where they are now if there are any left at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

We had matchbox decorations too and we had them well into the late 90s as far as I can remember. I loved them

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'd completely forgotten about matchbox decorations until literally just now!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Anyone else remember table tennis ball decorations? Think we made them in school. Put a pattern on them with double sided tape and dipped them in glitter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I definitely still have austerity decorations made from the nylon ball out of deodorant bottles, wrapped in the foil from Ferrero Rocher; or painted. Ah, happy times.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,180 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We found this recently and it's a bit battered. It's from Christmas 2000!
    60333581_2303540859968522_7927726784726958080_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-1.fna&oh=6918ab6843346de206ba9ed62ddd35ed&oe=5D56A3F0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

This may be my second favourite thread after the Christmas eve traditions thread. The smell of old cheap decoration and all.

2000 to me was 5 years ago...

I'm the same... even if someone mentions the nineties, I think they're talking about 10 years ago or so! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Jude13 wrote: »
    2000 to me was 5 years ago...
    Posy wrote: »
    I'm the same... even if someone mentions the nineties, I think they're talking about 10 years ago or so! :D

Same here.

Think we are showing our age guys!!

Definitely. I turned 21 in the early 90's & I still think of it as just a few years ago...
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Posy wrote: »

And what's this about 90s fashions being back? I was not aware that they had gone away. As for period tv set in the 1990s?:eek:

'The Fugitive' with Harrison Ford is on Netflix is under Classic Movies. :confused::o :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Lads stop - I only graduated a few years ago......ok it was 97 which is over 20 years ago.....so I think we are all the same

A sign we're all young at heart if not in the flesh, Christmas will do that to you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

chuckles30 wrote: »
    Lads stop - I only graduated a few years ago......ok it was 97 which is over 20 years ago.....so I think we are all the same

25 year 6th year reunion is this year :eek:

I take consolation that most people don't believe me when I tell them!

You're right DvB, it must the secret Christmas fountain of youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

chuckles30 wrote: »

Same as, but I was a child prodigy :)

Can’t have a Christmas retro thread without Switzers :D

Switzers-santa-badges-little-museum-of-dublin.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

^^Someone should get them made. I don't remember switzers but my folks tell me they would bring me there to see the window decorations. I'm not that young, I just have a shocking memory, too many bangs to the head

I still remember myself & my 2 younger sisters being brought to see santa at switzers & being panic stricken when we were told it was closing because we thought we wouldn't be able to see santa anymore. IIRC Arnotts filled the gap for the remaining few years we were brought on our day out to see santa. Still remember queing outside & looking at the window displays too... that would be 40ish years ago now... wow!

I remember being brought into town to see Switzer's windows as a child. I only have vague memories of it, but I do remember that it was magical! :D

The Brown Thomas shop still says 'Switzer and Co' above the Wicklow Street entrance. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Never knew Switzers, it had closed down before I moved to Dublin.
    But I do remember Clerys, and the Roches Stores in Henry Street which was then taken over by Debenhams.
    I used to love Easons and Waterstones at Christmas time, too.

DvB wrote: »
    Still remember queing outside & looking at the window displays too... that would be 40ish years ago now... wow!

Just go away will ya! :(

:P

I remember wearing one of those badges - searched online for Switzers and Christmas- apparently they're in the "Little Museum" which is on Stephens Green which I've been dying to see for ages but obviously not dying enough in that i haven't got myself there yet- one day. :)

otnomart wrote: »
    But I do remember Clerys, and the Roches Stores in Henry Street

You have official membership of "The Retro Club" so- ;)

• Advertisement

otnomart wrote: »
    But I do remember Clerys, and the Roches Stores in Henry Street which was then taken over by Debenhams.
    I still miss Roches Stores. :(
    (and I miss A Wear too!)
    I remember wearing one of those badges - searched online for Switzers and Christmas- apparently they're in the "Little Museum" which is on Stephens Green which I've been dying to see for ages but obviously not dying enough in that i haven't got myself there yet- one day. :)
    I never even heard of the 'Little Musuem'. Must check it out. :)

2018-02-24_lif_38773975_I1.JPG

Advertisement