Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What can a management company do about us having a dog

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

OK I know you've agreed with the coments once certain things are
    clarified but I'd like to just follow up on some of your points.
    1. management companies shouldn't be able to chop and change rules at the drop of the hat..
    as was said they cant, but most contracts allow the directors to introduce rules for the betterr running of the estate. Some contracts may require there be a motion at general meeting before it can be implemented, other contracts don't. i my case we dont require a vote to implement new rules, but have yet to actually see a need to impliment more than is already in the contract.
    2. management agents can be very lazy and instead of adequately doing their job and ensuring responsible pet ownership, it's easier for them to introduce a blanket ban which will punish everyone.
    I think you're wide of the mark here its not the MAs job to ensure responsible pet ownership, that's the job of the pet owner.

The Agents job is to take its direction from the Directors, ensure the budgeted service are provided where possible, collect the service charges and enforce the terms of the lease on behalf of the company. so if the directors say to them enforce all the clauses in the lease then they can do that.
    4. Because of the recession, people will be in their apartments for many years to come and thus should be able to make the place "a home" provided it doesn't impact on other people.
    irrelevant the people signed a contract the change in the economy doesnt factor into it. if they thought at some point that they would want a pet then they should have considered that. just like all the people that purchase in managed estates in the full knowledge that they are required to pay a service charge and yet time and again they complain about having to pay them. They knew what they signed up for.

I love how "the recession" is used as a defense for everything. if i had €1 for all the people coming to me looking to pay over 12 months because of "the recession" while still managing to run two new cars, smoke 20 a day, go drinking at the weekends and have 2 holidays a year I'd never have to pay my own service charges out of my hard earned money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

the original properly contract there is a straight 'no dogs' clause :(
    Sorry, I think I'm misunderstanding the context. From my reading of the mails, I thought that the original contacts stated no animals that cause a nuisance, and then the contract was changed to no pets without any consultation by the management company/agent.

If it was in the contract from the get-go then I would agree with all of your comments about the matter.

The OP initially thought it was a change but then dug out their original contract as above.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

At least we have a frequent visit from a lovely stray cat :)

If you like cats have you considered getting a cat? Or some other pet that isn't specifically banned. Do your research and you may be able to come up with a satisfying pet which is allowed. Maybe a cat reared as an indoor cat would be a good choice? I'm not a cat person but if I hadn't been able to get my dogs for some reason I'd have considered ferrets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

iguana wrote: »
    If you like cats have you considered getting a cat? Or some other pet that isn't specifically banned. Do your research and you may be able to come up with a satisfying pet which is allowed. Maybe a cat reared as an indoor cat would be a good choice? I'm not a cat person but if I hadn't been able to get my dogs for some reason I'd have considered ferrets.

The first image that comes to mind is of ferrets down the trousers for some reason :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

by the way, small dogs are not neccesarily more suited to apartments. breed, age and personality are the most important factors. A lot of small breeds have a lot of energy and need room to run around. I on the otherhand have a greyhound who barely moves from about 3 square feet all day (out of choice of course)

• Advertisement
Advertisement