Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Markets **General/Annual Bumper Thread**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

johnire wrote: »
        We’re planning on going to the Christmas Markets in both Basel and Strasbourg. Has anyone any hotel recommendations for either or both cities?
        Many thanks.

I stayed at Hotel Rohan in Strasbourg. The Christmas market in the square is literally at your front door.

1. Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Cian59

Hi all,

I'm looking to bring someone who is not good with crowds to a Christmas market. Where would people recommend? I was thinking Vienna but possibly go midweek rather than at the weekends?

2. Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Cian59 wrote: »
        Hi all,

I'm looking to bring someone who is not good with crowds to a Christmas market. Where would people recommend? I was thinking Vienna but possibly go midweek rather than at the weekends?

The main Rathaus Christmas market can be quite busy in Vienna, but each of the districts have their own. The Kunsthistorsche market is lovely, and there is usually a bit quieter than Rathaus and is only a few minutes down the road by tram.

The Resselpark Christmas market is quite nice and usually not too busy, and am Hof can also be quite pleasant. Mid-week they should be quieter, but they do obviously get busier the closer to the date. A bit further out of the city centre is the Schonnbrunn market, which is lovely, on the grounds of one of the imperial palaces, and although busy is set in a very large square so plenty of space.

You can check out some information here

3. Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Somebody in work mentioned plans for trip to Belfast as a budget Christmas market trip.
        Anybody have any experience of neglect try Christmas over last few years? Worth a trip?

Obviously assuming Brexit doesn't make it a trip that requires visas and a bank loan

4. Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

DavyD_83 wrote: »
        Somebody in work mentioned plans for trip to Belfast as a budget Christmas market trip.
        Anybody have any experience of neglect try Christmas over last few years? Worth a trip?

Obviously assuming Brexit doesn't make it a trip that requires visas and a bank loan

I pottered around the Belfast one, in the grounds of City Hall, last year. A bit on the small side I felt (but then I've not much experience of them other than the big Birmingham one, the biggish Manchester one, and some small ones elsewhere). Some semi-interesting craft stalls, but the same sort of stuff as in other small ones in other countries, and I didn't buy anything except two beers in the beer tent.

5. Advertisement
      6. Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Louche Lad wrote: »
        I pottered around the Belfast one, in the grounds of City Hall, last year. A bit on the small side I felt (but then I've not much experience of them other than the big Birmingham one, the biggish Manchester one, and some small ones elsewhere). Some semi-interesting craft stalls, but the same sort of stuff as in other small ones in other countries, and I didn't buy anything except two beers in the beer tent.

K, figure is probably similar enough to the ones that have been in Dublin. Might think about it just for the adventure of it for the kids. Train, or drive up and do an overnight.
        Don't think we ready for the hassle or cost of European market trip just yet.
        Cheers.
        Actually, it looks like the market in Galway might be sane people, could also be worth a visit. I've been meaning to visit friends over there for a while too..

7. Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

I've booked a trip to Munich for December so any tips/tricks would be gratefully appreciated!

8. Registered Users Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

conor_ie wrote: »
        I've booked a trip to Munich for December so any tips/tricks would be gratefully appreciated!
        I'm sure its mentioned before, theres not one market like you might have at city hall belfast and all these other wonderful "traditional" markets in Ireland and UK

Munich has dozens of them, from the fairly well established a main market (with a history stretching back to 1310, somewhat more authentic than various copycat efforts) the nearby crib market (selling crib stuff), the medieval market, the market in the Royal Palace "Residenz", a slightly more arty farty market at Münchner Freiheit, a complete eco warriors winter festival at Theresienwiese (Oktoberfest grounds) called Tollwood which has the novelty of also having tents so good in bad weather, and it runs really late, or theres the pink market in the tradtionally gay Glockenback area and all those are supplimented by smaller traditional markets scattered over the city which are great to avoid the crowds at the weekend of the larger ones.

As for tips, really the important one is to know the magical powers of 8pm in the evening. An insane amount of people are really (mentally) lazy and just plan their outings or reservations at exactly 8pm, so during the market period it can be damn hard to get a seat in a restaurant or place in a pub.
        So best idea is to have your dinner sometime over the afternoon rather than relying on powering through the day on an empty stomach and then encountering everywhere being packed at 8pm.
        If you're installed in a pub/ bar / restaurant at 7.30 or 7.45 dont come up with the bright idea to vacate your seat and see if the grass is greener elsewhere, because it most likely isnt and you'll only end up stuck for somewhere to go

Also, most markets close surprisingly early, so keep an eye on the clock later in the evening and dont presume they'll be opened to midnight.

9. Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Was there about 3 years ago at City Hall. It was incredibly crowded - we got in the crush and shuffled slowly past each stall, unable to get out of the stream. I'd heard they were going to move it to somewhere more spacious but its still at City Hall, I'd avoid it, esp with kids

10. Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I'm sure its mentioned before, theres not one market like you might have at city hall belfast and all these other wonderful "traditional" markets in Ireland and UK

Munich has dozens of them, from the fairly well established a main market (with a history stretching back to 1310, somewhat more authentic than various copycat efforts) the nearby crib market (selling crib stuff), the medieval market, the market in the Royal Palace "Residenz", a slightly more arty farty market at Münchner Freiheit, a complete eco warriors winter festival at Theresienwiese (Oktoberfest grounds) called Tollwood which has the novelty of also having tents so good in bad weather, and it runs really late, or theres the pink market in the tradtionally gay Glockenback area and all those are supplimented by smaller traditional markets scattered over the city which are great to avoid the crowds at the weekend of the larger ones.

As for tips, really the important one is to know the magical powers of 8pm in the evening. An insane amount of people are really (mentally) lazy and just plan their outings or reservations at exactly 8pm, so during the market period it can be damn hard to get a seat in a restaurant or place in a pub.
        So best idea is to have your dinner sometime over the afternoon rather than relying on powering through the day on an empty stomach and then encountering everywhere being packed at 8pm.
        If you're installed in a pub/ bar / restaurant at 7.30 or 7.45 dont come up with the bright idea to vacate your seat and see if the grass is greener elsewhere, because it most likely isnt and you'll only end up stuck for somewhere to go

Also, most markets close surprisingly early, so keep an eye on the clock later in the evening and dont presume they'll be opened to midnight.

To add to Munchkin's thorough review, the shops are all shut on Sunday so leave some markets until then. Munich is a brilliant city to see and almost a postcard perfect Christmas venue.

11. Advertisement
      12. Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

Edinburgh has a lovely Christmas market , it’s based on the Frankfurt market but would not be as busy , might. E worth a visit . I did it last year and loved it

13. Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

conor_ie wrote: »

I loved the Munich markets, have been to a few around Europe but they were my fave so far (I think the Germans probably do them best!). Great tips from munchkin_utd but to add my own tips, one of my favourites were the markets at the English Garden. Seemed to be more seating and a little less busy, and it was also easier to get a cold beer here as the majority do mulled wine which ironically isn't really my thing despite the fact I love the Christmas markets in general.

I'd also recommend the area with the ice rink, about 10 minute walk from Rathaus (main town hall), they have a little 2 floor outdoor bar where you can get beers and watch the people ice skate. The glasses at these work on a deposit system, you pay €1 more for your first beer and you get a token and you return them both for each beer. I actually really liked the glasses they give you and rather than get my €1 back at the end I kept the glass as they are much nice than what you'd get for €1 here!

munchkin also mentioned the one at the Oktoberfest grounds which is good if you want to stay out a little later and have a few beers but keep the Christmas market atmosphere going when the rest have closed.

14. Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭The Davestator

K, figure is probably similar enough to the ones that have been in Dublin. Might think about it just for the adventure of it for the kids. Train, or drive up and do an overnight.
        Don't think we ready for the hassle or cost of European market trip just yet.
        Cheers.
        Actually, it looks like the market in Galway might be sane people, could also be worth a visit. I've been meaning to visit friends over there for a while too..

The Waterford winterval seems to be more geared towards families. Haven't been but going to go down for one night this year.

15. Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Anyone any tips for Amsterdam? Have been before but not for the markets. Have booked it for early December, looking forward to it!

16. Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

grimm2005 wrote: »
        Anyone any tips for Amsterdam? Have been before but not for the markets. Have booked it for early December, looking forward to it!
        Only Christmas market I have been in the Netherlands was the one in Maastricht.

Small and mainly food (the non-food items were mainly Winter accessories) but still cosy, and the city is a gem, even more so in the Winter.

https://www.visitmaastricht.com/magical-maastricht

17. Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Cian59 wrote: »
        Hi all,

There's a nice small market in Memmingen (Ryanair's Munich).
        Not aimed at tourists, much more for locals.

18. Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

spurious wrote: »
        There's a nice small market in Memmingen (Ryanair's Munich).
        Not aimed at tourists, much more for locals.

Ryanair fly direct to Munich now, I flew with them a couple of years ago when I went to the Munich christmas markets although I think they may still operate a limited service to Memmingen

19. Registered Users Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Ryanair fly direct to Munich now, I flew with them a couple of years ago when I went to the Munich christmas markets although I think they may still operate a limited service to Memmingen
        yep
        you could even do a day trip to Munich for the markets as the early flight arrives in quite early and the late flight normally leaves abut 9.30 or 10pm.

20. Registered Users Posts: 7 markl12000

Hi all,
        myself and my better half are going to Hamburg in a few weeks for the Christmas market. Just wondering has anybody any experience of transferring from airport to city and have any recommendations:)

21. Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Bosupe

The easiest and fastest option is the S1 S-Bahn which has its station underneath the terminals. The train to the city center (Hamburg Hauptbahnhof/ main railway station) runs pretty much every 10 minutes. It takes roughly 30 minutes and costs around 3.50 EUR.
        Have a great time!

22. Advertisement
      23. Registered Users Posts: 7 markl12000

i've read that a taxi will cost 20 - 30 euro into the city

24. Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Bosupe

markl12000 wrote: »
        i've read that a taxi will cost 20 - 30 euro into the city

30 quid sounds about right. But as I said it would be equally easy and a lot cheaper to use the S1 S-Bahn.

25. Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Acey10

Has anyone ever bought from groupon or living social for Christeas markets

26. Registered Users Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Acey10 wrote: »
        Has anyone ever bought from groupon or living social for Christeas markets
        why would you?
        You can get a flight to Munich for €62 return and a hotel for €70 to €80 a night for a double room (weekend of Dec 13th, say Arthotel Olympiapark or any of the less central Motel One hotels), so not sure why you'd need groupon to organise it for you

27. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

€30 in a taxi. That's what i paid in February

28. Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Oddly, there are no flights to Memmingen between Nov 5 and Dec 21. After that it's back to a weekly flight on Saturdays.

29. Registered Users Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

ollaetta wrote: »
        Oddly, there are no flights to Memmingen between Nov 5 and Dec 21. After that it's back to a weekly flight on Saturdays.
        not odd at all.

Memmingen is officially "Allgäu Airport", that being the region with the major ski resort Oberstdorf and more Austrian places to the south of that again.

Saturday is changing day with apartments in ski resorts, EDIT... meaning its by far the busiest day for ski traffic (Ryanair even ran 2x flights to Salzburg from Dublin at exactly the same time on a Saturday at one stage, and Innsbruck airport is dead all week and then hopping on a Saturday with all the charter flights)

Ski holidays start up at christmas, after a quiet shoulder season in the sticks from about now until christmas, and the season doesnt start in earnest until the 20th (nearly half the lifts in oberstdorf only open from Dec 20th on https://www.oberstdorf.de/ski-snowboard/)

30. Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭amor3

Trying to choose a city this year!

Anyone been to Tallinn? Any feedback welcome..

Edit to say, doesn't seem to be direct flights so that's ruled that out!

31. Registered Users Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

amor3 wrote: »
        Trying to choose a city this year!

Anyone been to Tallinn? Any feedback welcome..

Edit to say, doesn't seem to be direct flights so that's ruled that out!
        as above, 7 direct flights to Munich, over a dozen markets, not a bad option.

I'd add that Frankfurt is also VERY well connected with 8 flights per day with the various airlines (noting the little known shocking fact for most irish people that there actually more airlines in the world than Ryanair, ones even like Lufthansa which clean their planes after every flight AND still have complimentary drinks and snacks on board)

People have various views on Frankfurt but I like the place and further afield a short rail journey you have the quaint markets on towns on the Rhine like Mainz, Rudesheim, Ingelheim etc .
        In Germany you get reasonably cheap day tickets for regional transport so with a base in Frankfurt or Mainz convienent to the airport, you can hop from one place to the next at your leisure.

32. Advertisement
      33. Registered Users Posts: 27,789 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

We've decided to try Brussels this year for our first Christmas market. Also thinking of heading to Bruges one of the evenings for a few hours.

Anything else to consider?

Advertisement