Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Poor diction by radio presenters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,052 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Is your memory clear enough to recall exactly what you heard in the far distant past. What is being complained about now is down to the level of a T being turned into a D, or a slightly elongated pronunciation of a word. There is good science behind the way we speak, but the nitpickers want to ignore that.
    All that matters is that we can understand what is being said, and that is not a problem with our current newsreaders.

I'd wager good money that Don and company, presented with a sentence containing 27 and .ie, would say Twennyseven and Dod i e, the same as most other people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flapping

https://youtu.be/evzxQ_D0aQs

Seems to be good on the “twentyfives” though, my friend

• Registered Users Posts: 20,486 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

This was his finest hour. If there was an internet back then, I think accusations of dumbing down would have been flying.

But in other aspects it was a kinder and gentler age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Charles Mitchel didn’t join as a “trained journalist”.

All they did was read the news off an autocue.

Nothing else.

RTE continuity newsreaders and presentation staff back in the day (50s to present day etc. ) were hired because as a boy/girl they looked after their neighbours dog, whose 1st cousin happened to work as a postboy in RTE.
    They certainly were not trained in anything, only reading a script or the news - which is not difficult..

Nepotism I think they call it...

RTE continuity newsreaders and presentation staff back in the day (50s to present day etc. ) were hired because as a boy/girl they looked after their neighbours dog, whose 1st cousin happened to work as a postboy in RTE.
    They certainly were not trained in anything, only reading a script or the news - which is not difficult..

Nepotism I think they call it...

Not going to get too involved in the off topic stuff, but it re enforces my point that they did not join as trained journalists, mainly from the equity ranks.

It was only later that RTE looked for them to become involved in more interaction on screen and I believe that there was quite some ‘pushback, from their ranks at the degree of change involved.

So some posts are quite innacurate.

Not going to get too involved in the off topic stuff, but it re enforces my point that they did not join as trained journalists, mainly from the equity ranks.

It was only later that RTE looked for them to become involved in more interaction on screen and I believe that there was quite some ‘pushback, from their ranks at the degree of change involved.

So some posts are quite innacurate.

At least they had their foot (or voice) in the GPO/Montrose door

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but hardly worth starting a new one. The affectation by some in the media for pronouncing foreign place names in what they perceive to be the cool way. Sports reporters being amongst the worst - Budapest is regularly pronounced Buddah-pest and while this maybe the way natives pronounce it, when did you last hear a sports reporter refer to Paris as Pari - with a silent s the way French people do? Just a very trivial thing in the overall scheme of things but it's like fingernails down a blackboard to me. :)

Someone should get a grip on Darren Frehill and tell him that ‘played’ is not pronounced ‘pled’.

Don’t get me going on ‘Nooze’ for ‘news’.

Or ‘Awder’ for ‘order’

Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Sorry for dragging up an old thread but hardly worth starting a new one. The affectation by some in the media for pronouncing foreign place names in what they perceive to be the cool way. Sports reporters being amongst the worst - Budapest is regularly pronounced Buddah-pest and while this maybe the way natives pronounce it, when did you last hear a sports reporter refer to Paris as Pari - with a silent s the way French people do? Just a very trivial thing in the overall scheme of things but it's like fingernails down a blackboard to me. :)

Should be Buddahpesht if they want to really get it right. Actually I find pronouncing the capital city of Hungary the way the natives say it is actually easier on the vocals than our natural version of Boo Da Pest. Hungarian is one of those languages that's almost "under-pronounced".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭blackbox

When Matt Cooper talks about someone having a sore "troath" it is nothing to do with a regional accent.

...or having no "thread" on their tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Constantly referring to the news as ‘nooze’ really bugs me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

blackbox wrote: »
    ...or having no "thread" on their tyres.

Every post about tyres on motors talks about thread. Confusing until you realise what they're on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭bureau2009

There are no speech standards in RTE.

Can Jennifer Zamperelli speak properly? Ray Darcy and Jenny Greene are no great shakes. I cannot listen to Weekend Breakfast on 2FM because of the standard of speech.

And I am mystified as to how Angela Scanlon ended up on BBC Radio 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Del.Monte wrote: »

Just heard another 'sportscaster' call it Bur Russia Munchkin Glad back ......:confused:

I've noticed for years siobhan madigan on RTE Radio Sport, showing off her prounciations of International sports people, teams and cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

bureau2009 wrote: »
    There are no speech standards in RTE.

Can Jennifer Zamperelli speak properly? Ray Darcy and Jenny Greene are no great shakes. I cannot listen to Weekend Breakfast on 2FM because of the standard of speech.

And I am mystified as to how Angela Scanlon ended up on BBC Radio 2.

What's your definition of "speech standards"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Reporters saying "he's" instead of "his".

Usually country ones.

He took "he's" cows to the market...

The rugby commentator on TV3 during the 6 Nations does it all the time.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Its nothing to do with accent, its just lazy. How these people can be editors of newspapers and yet butcher the language is beyond me.

We speak Hiberno-English, how are they butchering that language?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm sick to death of presenters schoil instead of school

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I present Loddie Ryan . !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Matt Cooper and his “Ehn- Phet”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

kneemos wrote: »
    God save and protect us from perfect speech. People speak in accordance to where they're from and as long as they're easily understandable all is well.

The real issue is the lack of regional accents on our national broadcasters.
    On Raidió na Gaeltachta there are all sorts of accents. They also interview people from lots of different backgrounds and actually seem to want to talk to them. They have a chat and a laugh. They're not rushing them off the air, interrupting them or waiting for them to stop talking so they can say something unpleasant to upscuttle them.

I just started listening in the last while and I'm actually in way better form generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

One thing.

If a word ends in "ht" it is not pronounced "th"

This drives me demented.

"Look at height of these ceilings" is not "look at the heigth of these ceilings".

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Someone should get a grip on Darren Frehill and tell him that ‘played’ is not pronounced ‘pled’.

Don’t get me going on ‘Nooze’ for ‘news’.

Or ‘Awder’ for ‘order’

Grrrrrrrrrrrr

In fairness he simply med a mistake!

Listeners might also be able to hear the words if presenters stopped interrupting guests - guilty as charged:

Joe Duffy
    Mary Wilson
    Brendan O'Connor
    Anyone on "This Week"

This habit is exacerbated by the "oh, I just thought of something and i'm gonna butt in cos i'm the star of the show and i can't be bothered to hear what you're on about..."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Matt Cooper and his “Ehn- Phet”

And his Sahurday.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    And his Sahurday.

Couldn’t listen to the lad.....too high pitched.....like Eamon Ryan...nah

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

Couldn’t listen to the lad.....too high pitched.....like Eamon Ryan...nah

Idd-a-lee for Italy as well. Perplexing. Especially given their fondness for spending chasms of time discussing that egg chasing rubbish.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Twidder instead of twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

These words.....
    Courk
    Mourning..as in ..good mourning...
    Gourgeous
    Fourk

Any word that has a "o" followed by an " r".....:mad:

Swopping "dd" for "tt"......Liddle, etc...:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

its because there are so many culchies dominating Irish media and broadcasting, there are far more regional accents in Irish media than the UK where it all sounds quite home counties...

A quick list from a reddit thread...

Sarah Mcinerney
    Claire Byrne
    Oliver Callan
    Seán Moncrieff
    Ray D’Arcy
    John Creedon
    John Kelly
    Mary Wilson
    Colette Browne
    Rachael English
    Cormac Ó hEadhra