Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Future of Longwave 252kHz (RTE Radio 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71,604 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Heads up...

Due to essential maintenance on the transmitter, RTE Radio 1 will be unavailable on LW252 from 10am next Tuesday (10th.), till 5pm on Thursday 17th. October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Saw that, a very long time out for a new glorified valve

• Registered Users Posts: 38 225LongWave

original Varian valve transmitter was scrapped in July 2007
    Are you thinking of the BBC radio4 1930s 3ft 'glass valve' ?
    RTE 252 are installing new component from Canada, NAUTEL
    recently updated their website newsletter to reveal a mystery ?

30 years after launch of Atlantic252 @ 500,000watts
    I understand RTE have disposed of their Nemesis by
    selling back to RTL, former 80% owner of Radio Tara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Doblin

RTE ceased broadcasting on longwave at 9am this morning and nobody has died as a result #justsayinglike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Doblin wrote: »
    RTE ceased broadcasting on longwave at 9am this morning and nobody has died as a result #justsayinglike

Glad someone posted this as it saved me looking for this old thread, however does seem strange that someone with just 4 posts went looking for it to revive it :pac:

No it is a pain won't be listening to as much RTE instead will stick to BBC Radio 4 on Long Wave until I have BBC Radio 4 FM sorted out via satellite.

Previously if BBC Radio 4 had stuff we didn't want to listen to like England loosing the cricket we'd return to RTE, now we won't be listening to RTE at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

down for maintenance and was well advertised in advance.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

The way people were going on, you'd swear every Irish pensioner in Britain would have died of loneliness by 10am as a result of going a morning without Tubridy on longwave 😆😆😆😆

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

my3cents wrote: »
    Previously if BBC Radio 4 had stuff we didn't want to listen to like England LOSING the cricket we'd return to RTE, now we won't be listening to RTE at all.

If you've got internet access, surely you don't need to be depending on LW to listen to RTE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If you've got internet access, surely you don't need to be depending on LW to listen to RTE?

Convenience, all you need to listen to Radio 4 and RTE on long wave is a simple radio. Don't need to pay for the internet to listen to free radio or have a smart phone or a computer. Do have poor quality 4G nearby but none at the house and no broadband in the area. Now I do have a mobile phone and several computers but I don't need to run a 100W plus computer to listen to a LW radio transmission when I can listen to it on a radio consuming a couple of watts of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

A common complaint.

• Advertisement

It's still not convincing me that they should keep the transmitter going. You'll always disaffect some people, no matter what happens.

It's still not convincing me that they should keep the transmitter going. You'll always disaffect some people, no matter what happens.

5 years ago when RTE wanted to close longwave, every village idiot politician came out calling it an attack on the elderly and RTE quickly backed down. It's going to be very challenging for RTE to implement any cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

my3cents wrote: »
    The UK! I listen to BBC Radio 4 on LW in Ireland most of the time.

Me2

If they close anything, be it RNaG, Lyric FM, 2FM, even News Now, there will be unhappy inconvenienced people.

I wonder will RTE announce as part of their cutbacks next month that LW isn't coming back because nobody noticed it was off?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I wonder will RTE announce as part of their cutbacks next month that LW isn't coming back because nobody noticed it was off?

no as it's listeners were aware that it was being shut down for maintenence. it was well warned in advance that it would be happening.
    so that explains listeners not complaining and thus, apparently not noticing, which obviously they would have.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

How are the vulnerable getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,754 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Feeling it, probably.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

They have gone without RTE on longwave for almost 2 weeks now

RTE announced plans to close the longwave service in 2012 but were forced to back down after an number of TDs called it an attack on the elderly, they are now spending 1.8 million on refurbishment of the mast to stop it from tipping over with rust http://www.hildegarde.ie/works-to-maintain-longwave-radio-service-to-begin-tomorrow-naughton/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What a waste!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Guess the old people didn't die as soon as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

What next, RTE to reinstate the trans Atlantic telegraph cable?

AllForIt wrote: »
    Guess the old people didn't die as soon as expected.

Just how many 'old ' people in this country still listen to longwave? I'd wager it's a minuscule number.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

RTE are a bloated, over unionised colossal waste of money. Increasingly out of date and out of touch.

Apart from news and some current affairs - what are we getting for the licence fee?

Srameen wrote: »
    Just how many 'old ' people in this country still listen to longwave? I'd wager it's a minuscule number.
    I think the problem is in the UK Srameen. Lots of lads went over there in the 60s and 70s, as you know, and are living in flats in Croydon and a Kilburn still listening to Céilí House and Liveline.

People like that don't stream podcasts. I'd find it hard to begrudge them a longwave service that connects them to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Genghis

Srameen wrote: »

It's old Irish people in Britain, who can only access RTE this way.

Yes, it's on satellite, internet radio and in some places is / was on DAB but older folk don't use these platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think the problem is in the UK Srameen. Lots of lads went over there in the 60s and 70s, as you know, and are living in flats in Croydon and a Kilburn still listening to Céilí House and Liveline.

People like that don't stream podcasts. I'd find it hard to begrudge them a longwave service that connects them to home.

Meh. They’re not paying a licence fee. They could listen to it on satellite if they’re that pushed.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Meh. They’re not paying a licence fee. They could listen to it on satellite if they’re that pushed.
    Radio doesn't require a licence fee, even in Ireland. They belong to the same community as we do, only they were unlucky enough to be born in the wrong time phase and had to leave.

Frankly I'd rather the (relatively small) investment went into LW than some zany radio project for Abie Philbin Bowman or whoever.

• Advertisement

I know full well it's pressure from those in the UK. Hence I said 'in this country'.
    They pay neither taxes or Licence Fee towards the cost. So, tough. Tune in elsewhere or use other means to get your fix of the old country..

Advertisement