Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE considering future of Lyric FM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I think there's no sense in paying mega wages when we know the gilded circle would never make as much if they had to go and work in commercial radio. That goes for pretty much everybody in RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

chicorytip wrote: »
    At least Hamilton seems knowledgeable of and enthusiastic about classical music. His shows are enjoyable to listen to as a result. Whelan, Murray and Kelly are just pop disc jockeys and their presence is jarringly at odds with the overall context of what a classical music station should be broadcasting.

Kelly a pop disc jockey?

It's almost like you've never listened to a show.

Kelly is one of the very few across RTE as a whole worth spending any of our license fee on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Expunge

limnam wrote: »
    Kelly a pop disc jockey?

It's almost like you've never listened to a show.

Kelly is one of the very few across RTE as a whole worth spending any of our license fee on.

Kelly is a 'that was this is' merchant and sounds like he's still in a sulk about being kicked off Radio 1. The music selection should really not be on Lyric at that time. Anyway, John Creedon covers much (not all) of the same stuff in a similar time slot. Maybe one or the other should be paid for. Not both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

John Kelly is now a staffer they have nowhere else to put him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Doblin

John Kelly is now a staffer they have nowhere else to put him

When/why did JK go from being a contractor to staff ?

• Advertisement

https://www.google.com/amp/s/evoke.ie/2019/09/17/showbiz/marty-whelan-concerned-lyric-fms/amp

Terry Wogan tribute act appeals for gravy train to continue. "Lovely livelihood" under threat.

https://twitter.com/Ear_thling/status/1194535815839469568

The luvvies of Limerick will not allow Lyric to go quietly into the night.

Apart from the obvious personal distress of some staff based locally, it hardly matters where lyric is based as long as it's doing the job it was created to do.

And a great deal of the time it's not doing that.

Expunge wrote: »
    And a great deal of the time it's not doing that.

I wouldn't say a great deal.

The morning show could be adjusted but apart from that I think it lives up to it's remit.

I wouldn't say a great deal.

The morning show could be adjusted but apart from that I think it lives up to it's remit.

Yeah. I'd say 'adjusted' is a bit of an understatement. The night time is gone to pot also with the surly John Kelly doing a version of John Creedon followed by a fella playing a fair bit of Led Zeppelin each night.

There seems to be a cadre of auld fellas who are fairly hostile to classical music with too much control in there.

They have gone a long way to ****ing up the whole project. RTE management have allowed it to happen and a load of minions in Limerick will pay the price.

How many staff are with Lyric down in Limerick?

• Advertisement

How many staff are with Lyric down in Limerick?

Papers say somewhere around 20 full time with some freelancers and contributors.
    Sadly probably too many in this day and age with the technology available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭RINO87

Expunge wrote: »
    Yeah. I'd say 'adjusted' is a bit of an understatement. The night time is gone to pot also with the surly John Kelly doing a version of John Creedon followed by a fella playing a fair bit of Led Zeppelin each night.

There seems to be a cadre of auld fellas who are fairly hostile to classical music with too much control in there.

They have gone a long way to ****ing up the whole project. RTE management have allowed it to happen and a load of minions in Limerick will pay the price.

The blue of the night has always played a ton of different genres tho. That being said, led zeppelin get an awful lot of air time on that show, as do Weather Report - not that theres anything wrong with either of these groups at all (great hearing them on radio in fact), but why so much of these two groups?

RINO87 wrote: »
    The blue of the night has always played a ton of different genres tho. That being said, led zeppelin get an awful lot of air time on that show, as do Weather Report - not that theres anything wrong with either of these groups at all (great hearing them on radio in fact), but why so much of these two groups?

Is it a recent thing?

I listened to the blue when Carl was on most nights for years and can't recall hearing led zep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Is it a recent thing?

I listened to the blue when Carl was on most nights for years and can't recall hearing led zep

I listen to Bernard regularly, not comprehensively admittedly. I don't recall hearing Led Zep .
    Iif you want to an example of repetition - "That's Entertainment" on Creedon. John needs to consign his two The Jam singles to the back shelf for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Foxy wolf

In the early years of lyric, it actually had it's own newsroom which was crazy extravagant, that time it's entire output was coming from Limerick. Henry Kelly used to fly into Shannon every Sunday morning to do a Sunday afternoon show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭RINO87

I listen to Bernard regularly, not comprehensively admittedly. I don't recall hearing Led Zep .
    Iif you want to an example of repetition - "That's Entertainment" on Creedon. John needs to consign his two The Jam singles to the back shelf for a while.

yeah i would listen to Bernard a lot, I really like his show, some great stuff on there but over the summer especially there was a lot of zep, and robert plant. Like I said Weather Report seem to be his go to at the moment - but its not like he repeats the same tunes a la creedon,( who is still taking credit for introducing the war on drugs to ireland, by playing the same two soongs!) you get a good spread.

Ha! Is Bernard on Boards? Led Zep open this evening.

RINO87 wrote: »
    yeah i would listen to Bernard a lot, I really like his show, some great stuff on there but over the summer especially there was a lot of zep, and robert plant. Like I said Weather Report seem to be his go to at the moment - but its not like he repeats the same tunes a la creedon,( who is still taking credit for introducing the war on drugs to ireland, by playing the same two soongs!) you get a good spread.

I know I first heard "Thinking of a Place" played by John or Bernard. The gentle rivalry of music fans.

BTW Apologies for my previous off-topic Creedon ref. But shame to puncture the glow of adulation on the JC thread.

PS Not sure if the introduction was from John or Bernard. Richard Swift "The Hex". On repeat on the hi-fi at the moment. Really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

RTE started the euthenasia of Lyric around 10 years ago, when then, or shortly after, having dabled in the 'light' with the like of George Hamilton, it went full sell out, spearheaded by Marty Whelan (and I still dont care a whit for his credentials as a Puccini authority). Its martification if you will. He was the figurehead, but not solely to blame. It was one of the greatest tragedies in Irish culture - a radio station that was better than both R3 and ClassicFM but threw it all away. To the eternal shame of the managers of the time. To put it out of its misery now would be a good move, and one I wholeheartedly support. Its not even about the money, more removal from the scene of the reminder of a self inflicted cultural vandalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Marty is probably the best morning radio show
    Just good light hearted content
    I'd be lost without it

• Advertisement

Marty is probably the best morning radio show
    Just good light hearted content
    I'd be lost without it

What time will Sean Connery be at Wimbledon? Tennish…

How could you live without it shur.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Remember this ?

Just remember RTÉ were awarded an extra €10m when they were highlighting this.... only the cut funding to Lyric FM by nearly a Million or 16%, while they gave 2fm 300,000 extra in funding for 2020.

I am guess that cut was pretty much the cut they'd plan in the end.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Ha, true enough, that's how it all panned out. I suppose we can expect some more dark mutterings this or next year and a threat to Lyric or some other small time arm of RTE from "sources" in RTE.

Meanwhile Lyric continues to waste away with a 3 per cent share of the listening audience. And I suppose 2FM will continue to waste away also.

Donal Dineen back on the radio this weekend, filling in on Lyric FM ...

"After a very long hiatus in the radio desert I’m delighted to say I’ll be back on RTÉ lyric fm for the next few weekends, sitting in on Vespertine; a show that I love. It’s been a full decade of dead air in the wilderness so there isn’t just a mountain of tunes to whittle down but a whole range to get through. Join me from tonight while I try cram the Macgillycddy reeks into 3 hours! Or listen on playback"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Gotta agree.

would listen to him no matter what station he was on.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Gosh, Marty is not for me at all. I stopped listening to Lyric in the morning because of his style.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 7,262 ✭✭✭jmcc

He should have replaced Tubridy on RTE 1. He's totally unsuited to LyricFM but the fact that he successfully gets listeners is a tribute to his skill as a broadcaster.

Regards...jmcc

Depends what people expect from Lyric.

If your expectation of the remit is classical music elitism. Then you're right he doesn't suit it.

But Lyric has long moved away from that.

Those with refined sophisticated tastes can all sigh a relief by 10 am.

But in order to survive it needs to tick boxes for a broader audience and he does that very well.

Post edited by limnam on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,262 ✭✭✭jmcc

It is the banter. He's a much better fit for RTE1. The music should be the star of the show. Not sure that I'm elite in terms of music though. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Fine, in theory. But the audience does not seem to have become broader. It's still hovering between 3 and 4 per cent daily.

The only thing that's changed is them having to build a new audience from 10am after the "banter merchants" have had their fill and go bore their friends in the golf club.

Advertisement