Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

freezer door seal failing

• 31-08-2019 9:58pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭

we have a probably 12 year old under counter fitted freezer. on the top corner of the door (not at the hinged side), the seal has lost its 'stiffness' and doesn't form a proper seal, so it's frosting a lot at the top, and so is obviously not operating efficiently.
    is buying a replacement seal an easy thing to do? i'd be reasonably handy, and really don't like the idea of junking the freezer for the sake of an easily accessible component, but is this the sort of thing that i'll end up being told that it's more economical to replace the whole unit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

If it is just the seal gaskets, buy new ones.
    They come in self adhesive strips and rolls.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cheers - would they be available at an electrial wholesalers, or what sort of place would sell them? am in D9/D11 in case you've any ideas who would supply nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

cheers - would they be available at an electrial wholesalers, or what sort of place would sell them? am in D9/D11 in case you've any ideas who would supply nearby.

I'd just buy them online TBH, I'd use Amazon or E-Spares even eBay.

I'd assume a repair shop near you might have it but those places are getting rare.
    Have no clue where in Dublin you could pick some up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cheers, there's an appliance repairs place at the junction of ballymun road and griffith avenue, so if they can't help i'll go for the online option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Before you spend your money on seals check can you remove the old seal, if it is removable the door liner will be held in place by screws

• Advertisement

cheers, it's a bit more complicated than i'd hoped, the seal is held on by being tucked in behind the door liner; will have to take the fitted panel off the front to see if the door liner can be unscrewed, as you mentioned:

489796.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Its made not to be removed, to help it along get some newspaper roll it up and put it inside the seal which will swell it out, when you achieve this fill the outer section of the seal with silicone before you go to bed at night and it will be hard by morning, then remove the paper, otherwise its a door replacement

Advertisement