Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What i observed last night - photo of the night

• 21-07-2019 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hello,

As many of us have observing equipment, either a small lovely binocular or a 2k telescope bought of adverts, i will love to get us challenged and despite the adverse weather, to try publishing every day / night /week /month something that proves our passion is still alive.
    Upload the photo, the sketch, no matter the quality either Lady Moon or Mister Saturn, put it up there to "show off", make us jealous and to prove that the dust hasn't settled on the main mirror glass...

Any one dare to start first... !?
    Good luck and clear skies...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

rolion wrote: »
    Hello,

As many of us have observing equipment, either a small lovely binocular or a 2k telescope bought of adverts, i will love to get us challenged and despite the adverse weather, to try publishing every day / night /week /month something that proves our passion is still alive.
    Upload the photo, the sketch, no matter the quality either Lady Moon or Mister Saturn, put it up there to "show off", make us jealous and to prove that the dust hasn't settled on the main mirror glass...

Any one dare to start first... !?
    Good luck and clear skies...
    A great idea.
    Might be just me but I find posting photos on boards a complete and utter nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Great idea.

Ok I'll start. Not taken last night but rather one night last winter, I was down the side of the house putting rubbish into my black bin and I noticed how clear the night sky was. Nothing out of the ordinary, just a nice clear night. So i got my camera and tripod and took a few photos showing just how many stars were located in a small patch of sky between the gutter on my house and the gutter of the house next door. Just a random semi-d house in a random housing estate. Not the hubble deep field by any means but it just goes to show whats above us even in light polluted areas.

7s9UYNx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Wow, that's some view, ThunderCat!

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Thanks.

As usual the weather and the clouds plays a major factor ...
    By the time you get the scope out,the phone in the pocket looks like the best choice.

Got Saturn and Jupiter on the main screen.Just went outside to check the clouds and by the time i decided to bring scope out, it changed.

But nice to "feel" it with your eyes... so small in a so big world...

487320.jpg

487321.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Great idea for a thread.

I have 2 scopes (both a bit crap admitedly) and a pretty great camera, zoom wise.

I'll take part here.

• Advertisement

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Great idea for a thread.

I have 2 scopes (both a bit crap admitedly) and a pretty great camera, zoom wise.

I'll take part here.

Couple of the photos here. Jupiter and Moons, and our own moon.

These are taken with a Canon PowerShot SX60HS which has a 65x zoom optically or 130x digitally. I'm gonna try to do some milky way shots before the summer is out.

These were taken before I'd invested in a tripod, hence the bad quality

gerrybbadd wrote: »

These were taken before I'd invested in a tripod, hence the bad quality

Thansk,a short advise:not only a tripod ... but a remote control (wired,infrared or wifi) or a dedicated software that can control the camera settings.

Bought one of this toys from HERE...lovely piece of hardware !!

Thansk,a short advise:not only a tripod ... but a remote control (wired,infrared or wifi) or a dedicated software that can control the camera settings.

Bought one of this toys from HERE...lovely piece of hardware !!

Thank you!

I can control the camera remotely to a certain extent with my phone, connecting via bluetooth. I use it for remote shutter as these far away objects can become distorted when pushing down the shutter button on the physical camera itself.

I like the look of that device though, thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

I havent been out much this year at all, so heres one from last year, its M33, taken with a Canon 700D through a Skywatcher 80mm Doublet.

Its 32 x 75 second shots, Iso 1600, stacked in DSS, processed in photoshop after.

Taken from reasonable skies in Julianstown, co Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭ps200306

Got Saturn and Jupiter on the main screen.Just went outside to check the clouds and by the time i decided to bring scope out, it changed.

Got a perfect fix on five stars plus Jupiter between your photo and your Stellarium. Clockwise from upper left: eta-Ophiuchi, zeta-Oph, beta-Scorpii, delta-Sco, alpha-Sco (Antares), Jupiter. So what on earth is that thing that I thought was supposed to be Saturn? :pac:

dH6qQlc.png ViSJbly.png

And come to think of it, conjunctions of Jupiter and Saturn only happen every twenty years, and the next one is next year. And even then it's in the wrong constellation. For ones anywhere near that patch of sky you'd have to go back to 1981 or forward to 1940. So I deduce you are either a time traveller or a space alien, and that's your ship in the photo! :D

• Advertisement

A new challenge this weekend :

487659.jpg

" Astronomers lamenting the temporary loss of Venus and Mars in the sky as they take a trip around the far side of the Sun, will want to dust off their telescopes this weekend as the sky is set to be packed with stunning sights.

Jupiter will (briefly) assume the title of brightest planet in the night sky as Venus and Mars disappear from view. The so-called Waxing Gibbous Moon (nearly full moon) will appear alongside Jupiter on Saturday night and will be visible from dusk.

Saturn will also appear at night and will be visible, east of Jupiter, until dawn.

The Moon will appear to the right of Saturn on the night of August 11 and to the left on August 12, yielding multiple opportunities for some rare group photos."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭ps200306

Joking aside, I was hoping you could tell us what the other object was in your earlier pic, 'cos it definitely wasn't Saturn! Maybe you discovered a nova :D

And to follow up from past 2 nights... what a joy,so nice to lose and accept the failure...weather not with me at all...

@ps200306 => i tought my friends up there will listen and create a good visible patch in the Earth atmosphere,some sort of private motorway... hmm,not this time...they decided to hide behind the clouds,or the other side of the Moon !?

487973.jpg

487975.jpg

NEW challenge: Perseid meteor shower ! ;)

Monday, August 12
    The Perseid meteor shower peaks tomorrow morning, but with Full Moon arriving in just a few days, viewing conditions are less than ideal. Luna’s bright light will drown out fainter meteors and leave the brighter ones less impressive during the prime viewing hours after midnight. Instead of seeing up to 100 meteors per hour as you might in a good year, a typical observer may see only 15 to 20 per hour. Tomorrow morning, the Moon sets less than a half-hour before twilight begins. You might have better luck viewing this morning, when the Moon sets about an hour earlier.

Tuesday, August 13
    Assuming you watch the Perseid show this morning, don’t pack up when twilight starts to paint the sky. About 45 minutes before the Sun comes up, look for a bright object hovering just above the horizon in the east-southeast. This is the night sky’s brightest star, magnitude –1.5 Sirius in the constellation Canis Major. From mid-northern latitudes, the luminary climbs some 4° high a half-hour before sunrise and should stand out if you have a clear and unobstructed horizon. The return of Sirius to the predawn sky was an occasion for celebration in ancient Egypt. Around 3000 B.C., this so-called heliacal rising of Sirius heralded the coming flood of the Nile River, an event upon which agriculture — and all life in Egypt — depended.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

^^ Any pics anyone?
    Nothing but clouds in sunny old UK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

Finally got out last night for only the second time this year.
    Setup the Celestron CGE with a WO 72mm Doublet, and a Canon 700D.
    Got goto alignment spot on, every target dead centre, so well happy with that! And then did all star polar align, and got that pretty spot on too.
    Heres a quick processing job on M45. Ill send the file onto a friend who is far better at the processing than me, and Ill share that photo when it comes back.
    I just love taking the photo, not so much the processing.
    Its 16 x 2 minutes shots, at ISO1600, stacked in DSS.
    I also got over an hour on M31, and 30 minutes on Witches Broom part of the Veil Nebula.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭murphyme2010

Not quite last night but Tuesday from Ballyconneely near Clifden in Galway.

The Summer Triangle. 20 20sec subs taken with a Canon 760D on a tripod.
    Stacked and processed in Pixinsight.

48684113487_6f5bcf269d_k.jpgSummerTriangle by Michael Murphy, on Flickr

NGC6946 taken from South Dublin.

Lum 24 120s 1x1
    Red 20 30s 2x2
    Green 30 30s 2x2
    Blue 30 30s 2x2

The full Moon washed out any colour.

48726580237_ca174140de.jpgNGC6946 LRGB by Michael Murphy, on Flickr

NGC7635 (Bubble Nebula) from South Dublin

Bubble Nebula in Ha and O3
    16 300s Ha
    11 300s O3

Imager Atik 414ex
    Telescope Skywatcher Blackdiamond ED80
    Mount Skywatcher HEQ6

48935902577_9df3bf6a45.jpgNGC 7635 HOO by Michael Murphy, on Flickr

Hello All,

I acquired some sulphur for the Bubble.
    Image is in the CFH palette (Ha red, O3 green, S2 blue)

Bubble Nebula in Ha and O3
    16 300s Ha
    11 300s O3
    10 300s S2
    Imager Atik 414ex
    Telescope Skywatcher Blackdiamond ED80
    Mount Skywatcher HEQ6

49029229858_d202b5486c.jpgBubble CFH Palette by Michael Murphy, on Flickr

• Advertisement
Advertisement