Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google GTAG/Analytics/Nothing ?

Options
  • 17-12-2020 4:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭

Google GTAG/Analytics/none

Your website is a car on a long drive...

With GTAG you have an elephant in the back seat, a knowledgeable elephant who knows the way you want to go but you need to be able to speak elephant to get there faster. He/she could tell you everything about the people you pass by on the road but you're driving slower, you've got an elephant in the back seat, losing petrol and time. If you take a wrong turn/things don't go your way the elephant still gets fed (& uses up your petrol/weight along this journey)

With plain Analytics you have a pig in the back seat, not as heavy or as talky as the elephant, he can tell you some things about the people you passed on the road but he's not getting involved in their thoughts, opinion or what they did when your car passed, and not slowing you down as much.

Just drive, if people like your car as you pass they'll be interested but you don't need to know. They'll come and look at your car. (who cares) or make an offer/ask questions about it and THEN you'll know about it. What they won't be asking if you removed your analytics is "This car looks so much faster (and better) than the one I saw with an elephant and/or pig in the back seat"

And the elephant (GTAG) does not seem to get on with the monkey (3rd party cookies) or any other animal or js who enters the car for the journey...

I'm probably a Timex in a digital age :), I still have my Seiko UC-3000 & 3100 Keyboard and haven't been involved in a proper html discussion since the digits turned to the 2000s, I would really appreciate some opinions on the GTAG, Analytics or nothing. I'm a bit torn/swamped.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

GTAG/Analytics became pretty chit IMO the day they decided it was an invasion of privacy to see what keyword a visitor had used to get to your site.

I'm not sure if that was <2000 or not! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Scotty # wrote: »
    GTAG/Analytics became pretty chit IMO the day they decided it was an invasion of privacy to see what keyword a visitor had used to get to your site.

I'm not sure if that was <2000 or not! :confused:

It was 2010 I think: I'd spent a good deal of effort building the bones of a project which had potential, but only if I could see what people had found on my site that they couldn't find elsewhere. Then the feckers vastly reduced my ability to see how people had found the site.

Advertisement