Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for suggestions for a laptop for MS Office, browsing and Netflix/Youtube

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭degzs

Anyone else have issues with the mouse ? The left click not been very responsive ?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭tmh106

degzs wrote: »
    Anyone else have issues with the mouse ? The left click not been very responsive ?

I haven't had any problems so far. Maybe it's your mouse? I'm used a wired (USB) mouse

tmh106 wrote: »
    I haven't had any problems so far. Maybe it's your mouse? I'm used a wired (USB) mouse

probably means the left button on the mouse trackpad integrated into the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭tmh106

glasso wrote: »
    probably means the left button on the mouse trackpad integrated into the laptop.

ah right Glasso. I haven't really used the trackpad very much so can't really comment other than to say when I did use it I didn't have any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

degzs wrote: »

Mentioned it in another post, but be sure you've removed the layer of plastic off the mouse track pad. I didn't even notice it for a while and the mouse tracking improved a lot when I removed it.

Saying that I do notice the left click can be a bit iffy when using the trackpad. I'm using a USB mouse most of the time though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭tom23

Bought this, arrived yesterday, all good so far.

The hard disk size is a bit on the stingy side. What would be the best/easiest option to upgrade the HD space?

Did you buy this of geekbuying? Are they ok to buy off? cheers

tom23 wrote: »
    Did you buy this of geekbuying? Are they ok to buy off? cheers

Yes, used the link in the second post of the thread. No hassles, arrived in good time (pre-Covid though).

Yes, used the link in the second post of the thread. No hassles, arrived in good time (pre-Covid though).

Cheers, how is the machine going for you?

My brother is looking to buy a laptop, to do a wee bit of amateur video, just to mess about nothing serious. Would you reckon the VORKE be suitable?

He has about 500 euro to play with so this is in his budget.

think that this has been out of stock for a fair while

for €500 a colour-accurate screen for video editing is not obtainable on a laptop

the honor magicbook 14 / matebook d 14 (see other threads here) is a 100 more expensive but is a quality item.

it's better value at €600 than this is at €500

• Advertisement

for €500 a colour-accurate screen for video editing is not obtainable on a laptop

the honor magicbook 14 / matebook d 14 (see other threads here) is a 100 more expensive but is a quality item.

Jesus Id love one meself. Nearly tempted to sell my MacBook to get it!

Im about to push the button on getting a MagicBook. I like the idea of having a 2020 laptop. Currently have an early 2015 MBP. Nice bit of kit, but getting on. In your opinion and apart from the screen, do you think the MagicBook would stack up as daily driver of word processing, maybe a wee bit of Photoshop?

Early MBP is the base model. 8gig or Ram, 128gig Ram. cheers Glasso

tom23 wrote: »
    Im about to push the button on getting a MagicBook. I like the idea of having a 2020 laptop. Currently have an early 2015 MBP. Nice bit of kit, but getting on. In your opinion and apart from the screen, do you think the MagicBook would stack up as daily driver of word processing, maybe a wee bit of Photoshop?

Early MBP is the base model. 8gig or Ram, 128gig Ram. cheers Glasso

easily.

by the way it's a nice ips screen that is bright enough with good contrast and viewing angles but not super colour accurate but you can't get that under 800+ and outside the pro photographer segment would not be even noticed. and all the other elements are great

would easily handle word processing, photo editing.

it can even handle some gaming.

Cheers Im treating my self to the space grey. Ill post some reviews in a while as best as I can. Been using macOS (in its various incantations) since 1998 so it will be strange one to be using windows environment.

Still after reading reviews and listening to opinions it will be nice to get my hands not his laptop.

Cheers Glasso.

Howdy, so I got the Honor MagicBook 14" Space Grey. So far I am pretty amazed. Ive been a life long user of macOS and my last daily driver was a 2015 MBP and before that 2011 15" MBP. Those machines feel like behemoths to this.

Once I give it a good road test Ill post more. But thanks to @glasso to posting his recommendation on this. He was bang on the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

I've also bought it but won't be home to collect for about a month now.
    So Covid really derailed my plans and I have not yet made it home so this laptop is sitting at home unused!

Anyone here interested in buying it at a slightly reduced price?

Alternatively, any suggestions on how to sell a laptop in Ireland? Haven't lived there for a while now so no idea how you sell second hand goods!

So Covid really derailed my plans and I have not yet made it home so this laptop is sitting at home unused!

Anyone here interested in buying it at a slightly reduced price?

Alternatively, any suggestions on how to sell a laptop in Ireland? Haven't lived there for a while now so no idea how you sell second hand goods!

adverts or donedeal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭orm0nd

orm0nd wrote: »
    not gaming but decoding data which is probably similar,

I changed software lately and I know the latest is a heavy drain on the cpu

I'm also using an external soundcard and interface, both of which are powered via usb port but the current drain by those would be minute.

does batterybar show where the battery drain actually goes? (too lazy to look it up just now)

worked flawlessly for 4 months and then died a sudden death,

computer repair man says they are a terrible build with the cheapest of components and terrible shortcuts in the layout

I suppose at the end of the day you get what you pay for , possibly have lost some valuable data as well that wasnt backed up while I was using it.

it will be a few days b4 repair guy gets around to doing a full survey

Started to have issues with the laptop, every so often the screen display gets completely corrupted (small green square blocks flickering).

A reboot solves the issue, but haven't much confidence in the overall reliability of the laptop.

It was a great deal at the time but now something like the honor magicbook is much better overall really for under 600€

• Advertisement

Opened a support ticket with Geekbuying in relation to the screen display issue.

They replied saying its a motherboard issue and their "warranty" doesn't cover screen or motherboard issues. Told me to send it back to the "Chinese warehouse" for repair at my own expense.

Looks like I'm going to have a bit of a rig-ma-roll educating them on EU consumer law.

Just letting ye guys know in case you're planning to order anything from these clowns.

your best option might be to negotiate for a partial refund with them if they are not going to replace it

sending back and repair would be very drawn out and take ages I would say.

they are not laptor repairers in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭orm0nd

worked flawlessly for 4 months and then died a sudden death,

computer repair man says they are a terrible build with the cheapest of components and terrible shortcuts in the layout

I suppose at the end of the day you get what you pay for , possibly have lost some valuable data as well that wasnt backed up while I was using it.

it will be a few days b4 repair guy gets around to doing a full survey

Couldn't even reteive the data from it. Not bothered even trying to get refund or repair, got too much happening just now.

Lesson learned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 regulators

I wouldn't bother with the laptop in this thread to be honest. I'd advoid at all costs and not exactly a bargain at 460. They have crap screens.

For an extra 90 euro and with Amazon been excellent at returns if something goes wrong you could get a laptop like this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HUAWEI-MateBook-2020-Multi-Screen-Collaboration/dp/B085YM9K63/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=laptop+ryzen+metal&qid=1597930353&sr=8-3

Or this HP one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Pavilion-15-cw1004na-Touch-screen-3-3300U/dp/B083T1Z3LW/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=laptop+ryzen+metal&qid=1597930553&sr=8-7

This one comes in at 475, roughly the same price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Laptop-Ryzen-Processor-Windows/dp/B081NKW4M6/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=laptop+ryzen+metal&qid=1597930553&sr=8-16

Just advising anyone who is thinking of buying that laptop from geekbuying to avoid at all costs.

It was a great deal at the time but now something like the honor magicbook is much better overall really for under 600€

yes that point has already been made

at the time the magicbook was not available and in fact no metal-chassis laptop anywhere near that price was available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 regulators

yes that point has already been made

at the time the magicbook was not available and in fact no metal-chassis laptop anywhere near that price was available

Wouldn't have even purchasing it if there wasn't. Piece of junk.

Couldn't even reteive the data from it. Not bothered even trying to get refund or repair, got too much happening just now.

Lesson learned.

Try for a refund from them is it's totally gone.

ship it back to them

Try for a refund from them is it's totally gone.

ship it back to them

Geekbuying are being very difficult to deal with. After initially offering me €50 to repair the motherboard :pac: and saying that motherboards and screens are not covered by their guarantee, they relented and sent me a return address for the repair.....a warehouse in China.

I've gone back to them again that I'm not taking the risk and expense of shipping the laptop to China but I'm willing to return it back to one of their warehouses in Europe (of which there are a good few).

Geekbuying are being very difficult to deal with. After initially offering me €50 to repair the motherboard :pac: and saying that motherboards and screens are not covered by their guarantee, they relented and sent me a return address for the repair.....a warehouse in China.

I've gone back to them again that I'm not taking the risk and expense of shipping the laptop to China but I'm willing to return it back to one of their warehouses in Europe (of which there are a good few).

let us know how you get on.

you might have to ship to china maybe to get the repair or more hopefully refund as that could be part of their policy and could be drawn out unfortunately but don't give in...

• Advertisement

Lesson learned.

I'd try to get a refund even if you have to send it back...

see other poster

Advertisement