Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fire Stick or Roku

• 15-01-2021 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

Hi

We recently got a new tv and moved the old tv to the kids playroom. At the moment they are casting onto it with a chrome cast but it is a bit of a pain as they constantly want one of our phones or tablets to do the casting. So I'd prefer to get them sorted with a streaming device.

I'm finding it hard to figure out what exactly they can watch with either the Roku or the Fire Stick though. I assume Netflix and YouTube are on both? We'd love to get access to BBCiPlayer and Channel 4 player etc, but really the main aim is to get the kids watching their own stuff without the need for our devices.

Anyone have these sticks, are they workable in Ireland?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭hero25

we've a Firestick 4k. works great for what you request.
    Netflix and Prime and Youtube and DisneyPlus etc all preloaded.
    BBCiplayer doesnt work in Republic of Ireland - there are ways to hack around this, but i haven't bothered!
    Channel 4 player will work once you register.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

That's v reassuring. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭decor58

ellee wrote: »
    Hi

We recently got a new tv and moved the old tv to the kids playroom. At the moment they are casting onto it with a chrome cast but it is a bit of a pain as they constantly want one of our phones or tablets to do the casting. So I'd prefer to get them sorted with a streaming device.

I'm finding it hard to figure out what exactly they can watch with either the Roku or the Fire Stick though. I assume Netflix and YouTube are on both? We'd love to get access to BBCiPlayer and Channel 4 player etc, but really the main aim is to get the kids watching their own stuff without the need for our devices.

Anyone have these sticks, are they workable in Ireland?

TIA

With a Now tv stick Netflix, YouTube, RTE and VM players are available without Now tv subscription, they can be on offer for 20e or on Adverts. I find them very reliable, made by Roku, I don't know how they compare.

Really? I thought to use NOW you needed a subscription. I'll check that out. thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭decor58

ellee wrote: »
    Really? I thought to use NOW you needed a subscription. I'll check that out. thank you.

To use the Sky offerings on Now tv you do need a subscription or a pass, to use the apps on the stick you don't need a Now tv sub, an economical way of adding a smart function to a tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭dubrov

Both will do all your need. I think the Roku is slightly better as it isn't constantly trying to push Amazon stuff. Price is higher though

Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

I am trying to chose between the two myself. The comment about Amazon constantly trying to push their content on you, makes me lean more to Roku. I don't have or want a Prime account. I just need Netflix and ATV.

And I believe Roku have Apple Airplay built in. But the Fire Stick uses third party apps? If so they are probably prone to being flaky at best, and no longer working or available at worst. Does anyone use Airplay casting on the Fire Stick from iPhone/iPad?

Advertisement