Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bobby Sands - see Mod Note in OP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Any normal person be they orange or green background just don't care, it was relevant in the past but thank God it's nearly gone,
    You're a Dungiven man I take it? Sur, went to Romania with a few lads and one lady from there ( they've a pub in the town)

Dungiven how dare you!! Rural Tyrone!! We worked for the same company. All Derry lads and me the hateful blow in as they called me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭corks finest

mfceiling wrote: »
    Dungiven how dare you!! Rural Tyrone!! We worked for the same company. All Derry lads and me the hateful blow in as they called me!!

Haha Love it, imagine me with a vv broad Cork city accent living in the Creggan,and worked in clubs for years bouncing
    Sure Brolly was born in Tyrone

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭antgal23

Haha Love it, imagine me with a vv broad Cork city accent living in the Creggan,and worked in clubs for years bouncing
    Sure Brolly was born in Tyrone

Met a guy in Florida in the 90s, tall unit of a man, originally from the Creggan, can't mind his name - such a character

It was Big Noel

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

antgal23 wrote: »
    Met a guy in Florida in the 90s, tall unit of a man, originally from the Creggan, can't mind his name - such a character

It was Big Noel
    Thats very informative

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

History wise, the thing that always amazed me was how the PM of Britain let one of her country's MPs starve themselves to death.

I always try to imagine if some MP in Birmingham or Glasgow had a belief in something as strong as BS, and starved to death, how would it have gone down with the British people?

NIMAN wrote: »
    History wise, the thing that always amazed me was how the PM of Britain let one of her country's MPs starve themselves to death.

I always try to imagine if some MP in Birmingham or Glasgow had a belief in something as strong as BS, and starved to death, how would it have gone down with the British people?
    If the MP was a member of an organisation that slaughtered young people on a night out in Birmingham, Guildford or people shopping in London they probably wouldnt be too concerned.

Edgware wrote: »
    If the MP was a member of an organisation that slaughtered young people on a night out in Birmingham, Guildford or people shopping in London they probably wouldnt be too concerned.

They murdered 2 of Corks elected Lord mayor's,shot one in his bed

Bobby Sands never set foot in Britain,and if u want to bring up slaughtered civilians Google"Bomber Harris" royal air force he managed a score of 10s of thousands of ordinary civilians in Cologne etc

Or if he was a British army chap who murdered via plastic bullets innocent Irish children.
    Or bloody Sunday etc etc,it goes on

• Advertisement

It really should've saved his life though

They died for what were very modest political compromises

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Jim2007 wrote: »
    The likes of Bobby Sands had no mandate to kill anyone and should not even be mentioned in the same sentence as the men and women of the war of independence. And before you ask, I am a Republic, one that respects the decisions of the Irish people and one that signed up in 1981 to defend the Irish State against terrorists.

You brainwashed brand of republicanism is not the only flavour in town.

So Martin Luther King got what he deserved?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

NIMAN wrote: »

He was an MP in name only. Even if he wasn't in prison he wouldn't have attended parliament or participated in the democratic process to represent his constituents. Thatcher was pretty cold hearted, but I fail to see why she would or should care more about Sands just because he was an MP.

Zaph wrote: »
    He was an MP in name only. Even if he wasn't in prison he wouldn't have attended parliament or participated in the democratic process to represent his constituents. Thatcher was pretty cold hearted, but I fail to see why she would or should care more about Sands just because he was an MP.

Kieran Doherty was also a TD
    ( Irish member of parliament)
    He also died

And you categorically know this? Methinks not

Kieran Doherty was also a TD
    ( Irish member of parliament)
    He also died

And what difference does that make? He was in prison in a foreign jurisdiction, it's not like the government here were going to bust him out just so he could take his seat.

And you categorically know this? Methinks not

And just how many SF MPs have taken their seat in Westminster? There's no way Bobby Sands would have been any different.

As an ex republican ( N and S- arrested for suspected membership etc 2003- Dundalk)
    Walked away after a lifetime of it , I can heart on hand categorically state that all the hunger strikers were used for political gain for SF, which in turn brought about the GFA
    Before they died SF were dead ducks so the ultimate sacrifice brought about some semblance of peace
    But they were used no doubt, anyone interested Google " Brendan " the dark" Hughes"

And just how many SF MPs have taken their seat in Westminster? There's no way Bobby Sands would have been any different.

That's as Maybe-MAYBE

They murdered 2 of Corks elected Lord mayor's,shot one in his bed
    I dont need a history lesson from you. The poster raised a question and I answered it.

• Advertisement

Certainly very modest and if the British had honoured the agreement that ended the first hunger strike things would have been completely different. In the 80s the I.R.A. was rattled by informers and long prison sentences. It is accepted by most observers that the hunger strikers were used by Sinn Fein especially after the election of Sands, Doherty and Agnew

I dont need a history lesson from you. The poster raised a question and I answered it.

Obviously need a lesson from someone

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

As an ex republican ( N and S- arrested for suspected membership etc 2003- Dundalk)
    Walked away after a lifetime of it , I can heart on hand categorically state that all the hunger strikers were used for political gain for SF, which in turn brought about the GFA
    Before they died SF were dead ducks so the ultimate sacrifice brought about some semblance of peace
    But they were used no doubt, anyone interested Google " Brendan " the dark" Hughes"

SF capitalised on the support for the hunger strikers. Why would they not? But the IRA had been against the second strike as if it collapsed like the first one it would have sapped morale.

SF capitalised on the support for the hunger strikers. Why would they not? But the IRA had been against the second strike as if it collapsed like the first one it would have sapped morale.

Adams pushed it end of,I was visiting the H blocks at the time and for years before and after,
    dogs on the street knew besides Bobby Sands and Francis Hughes all the rest including INLA prisoners were sacrificed needlessly

"Officially" they were against it, but at that stage the tail was wagging the dog, bloody horrible, they shouldn't have been left die, on a personal level it was devastating, the whole nationalist people at the time in the 6 counties were just numb and deflated

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Adams pushed it end of,I was visiting the H blocks at the time and for years before and after,
    dogs on the street knew besides Bobby Sands and Francis Hughes all the rest including INLA prisoners were sacrificed needlessly

For Bobby sands to have been sacrificed surely he would have been ordered to go on hunger strike and not to come off it. Nothing about sands reads that way. He comes across as being totally dedicated to what lay ahead of him and was going to undertake the strike regardless of the attitude of the outside leadership. I can understand how questions might arise in relation to the last three or four to die

SF didn't just capitalise they caused it, formed it and oversaw it ,yes it brought them on politically but vvvv unfair,I'm finished,I've said my piece, maybe not to everyones approval,but it's honest,most important thing is to REMEMBER all the strikers

Obviously need a lesson from someone
    Usual thug answer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

A lot of misguided and misunderstood history on this topic.

First; the 1916 Rising had no popular support at the time. Had a relative involved and the story is that his family were horrified that he could have got himself involved in anything so stupid. By 1916 Irish people were happy enough. The anti Catholic nonsense was over, land issues were solved and, for those interested Home Rule was on the way (though held up by the war). Most people just wanted a quiet pint and a trip to Dalkey on the tram with their girl.

In contrast Derry/ Belfast was a bearpit of poverty injustice and subjogation for working class Catholics by 1969. If you read the circumstaces of Bobby Sands childhood it is no surprise that he turned to violence and death - including his own. Working class Catholics were beaten into subjugation

Fianna Fail and Fine Gael never admit this and persist with good old freedom fighters v the terrorists which is a lie

The civil rights movement was hijacked by Adams and Mcguiness & Co ably assisted by the B Specials, parachute regiment and a segment of the RUC. The truth is that the murder and pain achieved zero save a few trips to Washington and a holiday home in Donegal for Uncle Gerry. I believe myself that Adams knew all about Stakeknife but let him run as he was clearing the runway for Adams "International Statesman" act.

The rest of it was a cruel waste of youth and beauty that led to nothing but death and tears and has left a dreadful legacy of subhuman thuggery. Even now whole working class areas have been sold out to local Provo thugs or their Loyalist counperparts controlled by people so damaged they believe that it is a greater wrong for a 15 year old boy to steal a car than for grown men to capture the same boy and maim him for life.

While I abhor the likes of Adams/ McGuinness/ Sands I understand how people were driven to a kind of insane cruelty by what was visted on them. Less time for Mary Lou who just saw an opportunity for herself - or the creepy Dessie Ellis making bombs for other people to plant from the safety of the South. Topped the poll in Finglas. So proud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

For Bobby sands to have been sacrificed surely he would have been ordered to go on hunger strike and not to come off it. Nothing about sands reads that way. He comes across as being totally dedicated to what lay ahead of him and was going to undertake the strike regardless of the attitude of the outside leadership. I can understand how questions might arise in relation to the last three or four to die

Bobby Sands was determined to die on hunger strike.

The leadership tried to persuade him not to see it through the but he wanted to be a martyr for the cause.

It worked.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement