Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Subtitled shows

• 17-01-2019 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

I was watching a video on YouTube recently where the person talked about things that helped them learn German. The idea of watching subtitled shows was mentioned, but with German rather than English subtitles (as we're all guilty of reading the English moreso than tuning into the German).

Dark, on Netflix, was mentioned as one show that's good for subtitles, but I was wondering if you knew of others done well?

Also, how do you tend to watch such shows? I've been checking out some videos of Easy German on YouTube and they helpfully provide subtitles in both German and English. I've found that I'm reading the German subtitles and looking at English when necessary, but maybe I need to watch video twice - once just listening to German and trying to work it out and the second time reading the German subtitles and getting confirmation from English...

🤪

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I do watch shows in German, Netflix is good, if you just chose German audio or subtitles. The best thing I've found is the euro news app, install it in German. The written articles are word for word the same as the reports. Another great thing I use is audible. There's a series on there called Deutsch Perfekt, which I listen to when I'm driving. Deutsch perfekt also have their own website you can listen to. Audible is part of amazon, so if you look for books which are whispersync, you can buy the audible version and get the kindle version relatively cheap. The two work together, although I've not used this.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Advertisement