Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Asperger's Syndrome

• 08-10-2009 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

A young relative of mine may have Asperger's Syndrome.
    It hasn't been diagnosed yet but having talked to the parents and researching the topic myself, I think this may be the case.

Anyone have experience of this?
    As you can imagine it is very distressing for the parents. It's all new to me so I want to find out as much as I can about it.
    Sorry, I don't know if this is the right forum or not !:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The very first thing to do is to try and get the child diagnosed. Otherwise you risk stressing out the child and his/her parents needlessly. You cannot diagnose Asperger's yourself.

This group can help: http://www.aspire-irl.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭bagaspuds

...I knew someone would say that and I agree totally.
    The child is being assessed. I was told by them initially so I didn't come to the conclusion myself. Since researching the topic though, I can see the signs.

Thanks for the link, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

OP I have a little boy with aspergers. Getting a diagnosis can be a very though time for parents. Im no expert but anything you want to ask feel free! Also not sure if parent are online but is a site www.magicmum.com that I found a brilliant support over the last few years alot of other parents on it with kids on the spectrum. Maybe it might help in answering some questions. hths!

I'm not diagnosed but highly suspect I have AS myself. I tried to get an assessment but got a less than helpful psychologist who wouldn't. It's something I still intend to do, I'd like to know once and for all.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I have aspergers syndrome, was diagnosed about 3 years ago I'd say now. Here are some of the differences I faced:
    * Used to prefare to interact with adults rather than children if lets say a party was on
    * Have focused interests. Used to be collecting stuff although now I am addicted to computers :D
    * Don't like crowds of people
    * Sometimes am found to be difficult to understand
    * Never really understood jokes

These are just some things I've faced with this condition, If you need any more info send me a pm

Nick

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    I have aspergers syndrome, was diagnosed about 3 years ago I'd say now. Here are some of the differences I faced:
    * Used to prefare to interact with adults rather than children if lets say a party was on
    * Have focused interests. Used to be collecting stuff although now I am addicted to computers :D

These are just some things I've faced with this condition, If you need any more info send me a pm

Nick

That's amazing, you just described me there! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

My son has Asperger's Syndrome. He wasn't diagnosed until he was 13, he's 16 now.
    It's very difficult for him to make friends, kids his age just 'don't get him'. He's a great lad though, if people just gave him a chance they'd see that for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭bagaspuds

Thanks for all the replies. I've done research elsewhere on the net. Its great to know that people have lived full lives with this condition. One pt being made a lot is that people shouldn't refer to it as Mild Autism as this may lead to a certain amount of denial, inadequate support as the child is growing, low level of initial diagnosis etc.:o

I have Asperger's syndrome. I wasn't diagnosed until I was 20. It's a tough life unless you're a hermit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Kama

First-off, an actual diagnosis would be great; there's a joke that Aspergers is a contagious disease spread by the internet and contracted by reading the Wikipedia page on Aspergers and self-diagnosing :D

I have more than a shade of Aspergers; I had huge problems with social etiquette growing up, physically inept, several classic repetitive behaviors and so on. I spent much of my time trying to work out what the rational structures governing conversations were, so I could take part in them; factual adult conversations were obvious, smalltalk was an absolute mystery. I'd pretty much randomly repeat things I'd heard people say in other conversations >_<

I still have problems with things like eyecontact, emotionally connecting, and some repetitive physical behaviors and stimming. But not nearly as severely as when I was younger. Still have problems with smalltalk, and guessing emotion from cues, but otherwise alright.

While it can be difficult for social reasons, Aspergers doesn't have to be thought of as a 'bad thing'. Medicine and psychology revolved around 'neurotypical' people, and anything different was seen as a 'disease', but thankfully this is changing. In some senses, Aspergers can almost be an advantage; I had more than one college lecturer on the autist spectrum, for instance. But being a 'weirdly eccentric nerd' is far more acceptable now, than when I was growing up. There's different types of people. with different aptitudes and abilities, rather than people whose brains are 'wrong', imho.

So, thinking positively, if your kid is an Aspie, they're likely to be unusually honest (inappropriate in a world of pervasive subtle social lies), highly devoted to their interests (not necessarily bad at all), and often precociously articulate. On the other hand, social-emotional communication and processing may be problematic, concrete linguistic meanings will likely crowd out subtleties and subtexts, and 'getting the joke' won't be easy.

As with any other child, you just want to encourage them, and help them grow into the world. This can be harder in some areas (like social), but thats all part of the uniqueness of a new human being.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I'd highly recommend this website:

http://www.wrongplanet.net
    It not only offers information for parents and reletives in coming to terms with the condition but also offers a place to communicate with other Apies and talk part in a community forum, which i'm sure will no doubt be of help. :)

Kama wrote: »
    I still have problems with things like eyecontact, emotionally connecting, and some repetitive physical behaviors and stimming. But not nearly as severely as when I was younger. Still have problems with smalltalk, and guessing emotion from cues, but otherwise alright.
    Yeah I'd be similar, I'm not so likely to blast out random facts anymore but that may just be because I'm more socially withdrawn now.
    Kama wrote: »
    So, thinking positively, if your kid is an Aspie, they're likely to be unusually honest (inappropriate in a world of pervasive subtle social lies)
    I can remember several occasions where I've been brutally honest (and often got a slap for it). Looking back on them actually embarrasses me, I think "why did I say that?" The main one which springs to mind is when I told my aunt her apple tarts tasted like vinegar. *shudders* :o She still talks to me so I don't think she held a grudge, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

McChubbin wrote: »
    I'd highly recommend this website:

http://www.wrongplanet.net
    It not only offers information for parents and reletives in coming to terms with the condition but also offers a place to communicate with other Apies and talk part in a community forum, which i'm sure will no doubt be of help. :)

I'm not a big fan of Wrong Planet TBH. I find the forums are too large and there's too many argumentive people on it.

Still, it's a damn site better than Aspies For Freedom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Stu77

I was also diagnosed with mild aspergers syndrome in my late teens. I get jokes and i have a good sense of humour but there are other areas where i struggle but its not all that bad as long you understand the condition and keeping working hard to minimize the effects it has on your day to day life.

On the positive side, i have a lot of empathy for people and i'm very good at putting an arm around someone who's having a hard time and saying something that will make them feel better.

Sometimes i get very frustrated with myself though especially in social situations where i can sometimes just zone out completely and want to be on my own especially if i'm surrounded by a lot of people talking over each other.

I would say that aspergers is just another way of analysing situations but on the whole i've fully accepted how i am and the vast majority of people wouldn't know i was any different to anybody else but i've worked very hard at it over the years and its something i need to keep on top of daily because as far as i know, there is no cure for aspergers but i wouldn't want to be cured at this stage anyway. I just learn to adapt to new situations as they happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

Newsflash, having no friends and having just one or two hobbies that take up most of your time does not automatically mean you are suffering from Aspergers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 noodle24

My little brother is 19 and he was diagnosed when he was 13. He is doing his leaving cert this year. His teachers love him because he is so good, he does everything that they tell him to. He doesn't really have any friends though, he only mixes with older people, and young children love him. He is really kind and helpful to everyone. Doesn't get jokes or sarcasm, zones out with people are talking to him sometimes and he doesn't make eye contact either. As a child he could quote every ad from tv, and he speaks with an American accent.

He's very independant though because he was never treated differently at home, he goes off on the train shopping by himself all the time. When my friends called over he used to make tea for us and bring it up on a tray with biscuits just to be nice! And he knows loads of interesting facts. (Some not so interesting)!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Cacokicksass

My son was diagnosed by the Lucena clinic earlier this year. My wife and I are just getting around to telling friends now, most family members have known since he was diagnosed.

We were both in complete denial initially, but have come to terms with it now. Our son is like every other child in our eyes, although he doesn't really have a friend at school, he is in senior infants and is almost 6.

We are both very eager to get him involved socially with other kids his age but as most will know this is not that easy. We have found that while there is a lot of groups out there none of them seem to offer the simple things like play groups or social clubs such as AS specific scout troops or something similar.

If there are any other members with children with AS around the same age in the Dublin area who would be interested in getting something started please PM me.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

If you go to www.faingalautism.com or www.adhd .ie both sites may help.
    Also, if leaving in Fingal, you can contact Sarah Mc Nally on 018020484, shes there to help parents of kids with Autism , and other disabilitys to get the help they need.
    HTH,Cathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭SparkyTech

yoyo wrote: »

Nick

I also have mild Aspergers (diagnosed professionaly). Would concur with Nick. Usualy click better with older adults and enjoy my own company more. Sometimes find socail situations a bit difficult and awkward, and have practicualr intrests that I don't like to stray too much from. I only have a close circle of friends. Have ofen been branded odd, wierd and sometimes needy but you learn to cope with it and become more aware of the ''socail cues'' one misses out on as you get older. :)

www.aspireireland.ie has some useful info on the subject matter

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭tony.aspergers

Hello.

My name is Tony and I am 37 and living in Meath. As an adult with Asperger's, having been diagnosed at the age of 14, I am extremely concerned about the lack of certain support availability in Ireland at the present time.

There seems to be some support for jobs, some extremely limited support for accommodation (NUA Healthcare), but absolutely no support for everyday living, not for adults anyhow.

Whereas I can fully understand and appreciate the high levels of support for children and parents of children with Asperger's, it would appear that once said youngsters leave school there is no proper support available and such people are forced to try and cope on their own.

Does anyone agree?

Tony.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭D e e

Tony, I completely agree. My little brother is in his final year of school and he's dreading finishing because there isn't much help for him after school. He was diagnosed when he was 16 and he just turned 19 last week, he's very intelligent but doesn't want to go to college because he feels he can't mix/doesn't enjoy being around people his own age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭SparkyTech

Completely concur Tony. Support/awareness from public service psyc. outpatient services when I tried to get counselling recently was appalling. The Government/HSE never offers much in the way of mental health but it appears that for persons with Asperger's, services, training and dedication are very far behind our international neighbor's standards.

Dee, Do you know your brother can put down on his CAO form that he has Asperger's? It counts as a disability on the CAO system so long as you have medical evidence to certify diagnosis. College's will take it into consideration when offering support when entering college (In DCU I was assigned a mentor, among other supports) and also make concessions (within reason) for courses if the required points arn't met, but all entry requirements are satisfied.

SparkyTech wrote: »
    Completely concur Tony. Support/awareness from public service psyc. outpatient services when I tried to get counselling recently was appalling. The Government/HSE never offers much in the way of mental health but it appears that for persons with Asperger's, services, training and dedication are very far behind our international neighbor's standards.

Dee, Do you know your brother can put down on his CAO form that he has Asperger's? It counts as a disability on the CAO system so long as you have medical evidence to certify diagnosis. College's will take it into consideration when offering support when entering college (In DCU I was assigned a mentor, among other supports) and also make concessions (within reason) for courses if the required points arn't met, but all entry requirements are satisfied.

I would like to set up a proper support group for people aged over 17 with Asperger's in Ireland. The group would have a website and Facebook etc pages, regular meetings in every county (at least), and events suitable for those over 17. I am not prepared to aim this group at under 17's as there are plenty of existing groups available for that category, as much as I am extremely sympathetic towards parents of and younger sufferers of Asperger's.

If anyone is interested in joining and/or helping, please say so on this forum and I will be in touch.

Tony.

I would like to set up a proper support group for people aged over 17 with Asperger's in Ireland. The group would have a website and Facebook etc pages, regular meetings in every county (at least), and events suitable for those over 17. I am not prepared to aim this group at under 17's as there are plenty of existing groups available for that category, as much as I am extremely sympathetic towards parents of and younger sufferers of Asperger's.

If anyone is interested in joining and/or helping, please say so on this forum and I will be in touch.

Tony.

I have set up a Facebook group for the above - http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_138230999563882&ap=1

Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

I was diagnoised just over 3 years ago,I am 28 now. My GP assigned me to a local psychologist who in the 1 year I seen did nothing to help me, I am currently a student in NUI Maynooth where there are some good supports in place but there is nothing available outside of this.I have sent a request to join the facebook page.

NUA Healthcare have now opened their new facility at Taliesin near Portlaoise town, which comprises of individual large timber lodges for occupation by adults with Asperger's Syndrome. They are now apparently "taking referrals".

See: www.nuahealthcare.ie for details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Nicolas01

The sense of touch in children with Asperger's can be heightened or reduced. Those children whose skin is very sensitive may only be able to wear certain types of clothing to be comfortable. They may not like to work with certain materials or they may not be able to handle simply being touched by another person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

I know TCD and a dedicated service called Unilink to support people in college who have aspergers. They ahve a few PDF files on their website for tips for coping with the condition.

http://www.tcd.ie/disability/services/Unilink/index.php

It would be nice if all colleges followed suit.

Nicolas01 wrote: »
    The sense of touch in children with Asperger's can be heightened or reduced. Those children whose skin is very sensitive may only be able to wear certain types of clothing to be comfortable. They may not like to work with certain materials or they may not be able to handle simply being touched by another person.

Yes, I can identify with this! I can be fussy about types of clothes and the fabric they are made of!

Sound sensitivity is another issue - for example I love music but hate the sound of unexpected breaking glass........

Tony.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

SLUSK wrote: »
    Newsflash, having no friends and having just one or two hobbies that take up most of your time does not automatically mean you are suffering from Aspergers.

Unforunately it DOES in this country. You can also add in: Telling the truth, never drinking alcohol or taking drugs, giving honest answers to questions asked, and having an interest in things other than work/family/sport. I've lost count of the number of fools in Ireland who consider people who are 'different' to have autism/Asperger.

Advertisement