Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dogs on Trains

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I would be very interested in what they have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

Bluefrog wrote: »
    At exactly what point in this discussion did I suggest that I felt I should have have this facility but nobody else should. What I said was my personal circumstances were the reason this was a particular problem. That is all.

As authoritative as you sound Saint I think I will let the NCBI speak for themselves on this one.

Well sorry if I misunderstood you about you feeling discriminated against by not being allowed to bring your dog on the train given that you have no alternative means of travelling with your dog. Are you saying that everyone who is not allowed to being a dog on a train is being discriminated against? If you are advocating that everyone should be allowed to bring their dogs on trains then I have no problem with that. Although I'm not sure what the NCBI have to do with that as I'm pretty sure that they deal with issues pertaining to the blind and not whether member of the public should be allowed to bring dogs on trains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I'm confused OP, do you qualify for a guide dog?

I suppose with letting all dogs on public transport you are risking them interfering with guide dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Bluefrog- you seem to just have a chip on your shoulder. You seem to think the world owes you something. I hate to be the one to point this out to you but the world doesn't revolve around you.

It's not that you are being discriminated against, it is just that you just are not getting the special treatment you seem to think you are entitled to. They are two different things, whether you like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gaillimheach

I'd agree that Ireland is not as pet-friendly a country as England, France, USA, etc. Too many people in Ireland have an irrational fear of dogs, for example, and all-too-frequently have a poor understanding of the social, psychological and intellectual needs of dogs.

Too many neglected animals out there.:mad:

But things are improving. A lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

OK, last post on this.

I do believe that everyone should be allowed bring their dog on trains at off-peak times provided they can demonstrate that they have control of the animal with a leash, muzzle and the physical where-with-all to do so.

The connection with the NCBI comes from the fact that it is my visual impairment which leaves me no choice if I want to travel with the dog to certain destinations except by train. I would imagine that I am not the only one in this position or who has sufficient sight so as to allow mobility independently by train but not enough to drive. As the NCBI represents all those with visual impairment, not just the ones blind enough to qualify for guide dogs I figure they would be good people to talk to about my options.

As I understand it I would qualify as legally blind but I can with some effort and co-operation get by myself on public transport. However, if I ever get behind the wheel of a car you probably want to stay off the streets people.

To the poster who tells me I must have a chip on my shoulder for simply wanting to take my dog to places others can I say, well, I'm visually impaired so would be the last one to see it! Lucky for me eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Bluefrog,
    you're not seeing the point people are making. Try reading the thread again. people are saying you should not be allowed have a NON-GUIDE dog on the train because you are visually impaired, it is a rule that applies to everyone. If everyone was allowed take their pets on public transport, then great. It has been said time and again that not being able to see is far from being the only reason to take public transport.
    I'm visually impaired so would be the last one to see it! Lucky for me eh?
    :confused: Are you looking for sympathy?

You are going to keep using the discrimination card so there is no point in continuing this conversation. If you were treated differently because you're visually impaired you'd be complaining too.

EDIT: Maybe the mods could move this to somewhere more appropiate? The issue isn't the OP's pet, but the precieved discrimination against the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Bluefrog wrote:
    To the poster who tells me I must have a chip on my shoulder for simply wanting to take my dog to places others can I say, well, I'm visually impaired so would be the last one to see it! Lucky for me eh?

You almost sound glad to be "visually impaired" considering you have used it above to try and gain points against me- I am beginning to wonder the extent of how you are "visually impaired" considering you can see people "staring at" you while you suffer the trauma of the train staff deciding whether you should be allowed on the train...

I am visually impaired myself, what with short sightedness and astigmatism-if I am not wearing glasses or contacts then I cannot tell a person's facial expression from 10 feet away.

But I wear contact lenses which solves matters. And I can drive :) I certainly don't feel sorry for myself or expect special treatment. There are thousands like me- if we can do it why can't you? Because if you can tell when people are staring at you- assuming they were not standing in your face- then your eyesight does not seem any worse than mine- and my prescription is nothing unusual.

You are able to see your PC screen right? surely if your eyesight is good enough to clearly see people and read posts on your computer then it is good enough for you to be able to take a taxi, bus or plane? I can't see how taking a train is your "only option".
    :confused: Are you looking for sympathy?

That's exactly what this entire thread is about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Roberto Large Flatware

Look folks, don't waste your energy on this one. He was recently in Scilily (according to other threads):Trapani, Erice, and Valderice, where he could travel freely without the dog. His vision was also sufficient to see the dog on a skype phone while he was abroad. Enough said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Moved to Accessibility, Mobility and Disability.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement