Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bipolar / manic depression group in Ireland?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

What format do people want these meetings to have? I wouldnt be interested in an Aware type group. Sitting in a circle, talking in turn, etc. Something more fun and social, where we can also discuss life with the illness, in addition to normal chit chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Micha_8

sure, that sounds great! I've never been to an Aware meeting but I have gone to a couple of Grow meetings a while ago so I know what you mean Chazz. Think a more informal approach will be good

Maybe best for us to organise an initial meeting and decide as a group what way we want it to work. We just need to get enough people first!! I'd say once we have 5 people we can have an initial meeting :D

• Surely there must be enough people in Dublin and surrounding counties to get a bipolar group together.
    I am in Naas but would travel.

Hello all.

Would people be interested in getting together for an initial meeting this week in Dublin City centre?
    It would be an opportunity to sit down together and come up with a plan for how we want the meetings to go, find out what people's agendas are etc.
    I propose this Thursday evening say 7 pm in Dublin City centre

If interested please add your name to the list and I will PM you the venue

1. Micha

• Micha_8 wrote: »
    Hello all.

Would people be interested in getting together for an initial meeting this week in Dublin City centre?
    It would be an opportunity to sit down together and come up with a plan for how we want the meetings to go, find out what people's agendas are etc.
    I propose this Thursday evening say 7 pm in Dublin City centre

If interested please add your name to the list and I will PM you the venue

1. Micha
    2. Derek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Emmacaffrey

Hey I was just wondering did a support group ever get set up in Dublin for people with bipolar disorder? I would be really greatful if someone could get back to me with information on this thank's

• Hey I was just wondering did a support group ever get set up in Dublin for people with bipolar disorder? I would be really greatful if someone could get back to me with information on this thank's

No, never happened. But at least there are 3 of us now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Emmacaffrey

No, never happened. But at least there are 3 of us now.

That's a shame. Thank's very much for getting back to me though

Hello all

I want to let you all know about my new meetup group Dublin Bipolar Disorder Meetup. DBD Dublin for short. Delighted to finally have it up and running.
    Hope everyone here who has been searching for such a group can get the benefit of it!! and tell your friends too, the more the merrier…!! or something… :)

The first meeting is this Tuesday coming at 7pm a very central coffee shop in town. All the specific details can be found on the site as soon as you join up to be a member of DBD. Its free to do!

You may put an anonymous picture etc if you don't wish to share your identity online. If you're already in other groups on Meetup you may also wish to make your meetup group information private ('hide my interests') if you don't want to share your interest in mental illness with meet up friends just yet.

Just go to www(dot)meetup(dot)com and search Bipolar, it's the only group in that category in Dublin I could find so should be hard to miss!! I will have a wee sign for the table on the night so we can all find one another, and just to let you know the place has big comfy couches.

Hope to see you there, please feel free to PM me or message me through the site if you have any questions I'd be happy to hear from you.
    Thanks

Organiser, aka Caitlin Thomas, nee Caitlin MacNamara- wife of poet Dylan Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 10 totierne

Count me in. I did have a lunch thing going with another bipolar guy. Worked quite well more social and specific 'what are we up to this week' rather than forcing the bipolar angle. I find I can only have the bipolar back story conversation once.
    Regards
    Turloch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 totierne

2. Derek
    3. Turloch

Hi Turloch. That's great to have you on board.
    The best thing to do is go on to the group page for Dublin Bipolar Disorder Meetup Dublin, join up and you can rsvp there for all the meetings scheduled as well as finding out specific details re time place etc.
    Next meetup is tomorrow night hope you can make it!
    Best wishes

Just let let you all know. Dublin Bipolar Disorder Group is going strong. We have over 20 members now and our 8th meeting is this Tuesday coming.

Search for Dublin Bipolar Disorder on Meetup.com and join us!

***********************************************************************************
    Just to say the group is specifically tailored to those who have a diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder…. in order for us to have a common denominator and share our stories and experiences together.

It is an informal support group and so as we are not medical professionals or counsellors we ask that if you feel you are in need of emergency care or in a crisis to please contact your GP, A&E or call Samaritans on new Freephone number 116123

Advertisement