Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Woman arrested for salvaging perfectly good food dumped on street corner"

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

oh yeah ham wouldnt go off in a wet bin bag on the corner of a street

Who cares? What if it was just one lump of maggot-infested chicken? Or a sack of spongey, mouldy apples or a stinking carton of rotten milk? If that was the case people would be saying "she's a nut! haha! she's deserves to get botulism!"
    She took stuff that was dumped and that she felt was fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

and what if the person dies, the blame will fall on the shop for providing the food, free or paid for

No.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Who cares? What if it was just one lump of maggot-infested chicken? Or a sack of spongey, mouldy apples or a stinking carton of rotten milk? If that was the case people would be saying "she's a nut! haha! she's deserves to get botulism!"
    She took stuff that was dumped and that she felt was fine.

do you understand how the legal system works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

another article here

Hang on - my cynical spidey senses are tingling...

She works for a rival supermarket - and although she took stuff from the bins/side of the road, the police were able to track her to her house?

I appreciate it's the daily mail that ran the original article but there's a whole lot missing from that story even by their standards!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 thingonmyback

I do think that there could possibly be adverse consequences for a food retailer if this type of conduct wasn't discouraged. To be fair to all concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

i know for a fact fridge downtime even for an hour can affect frozen goods, your making alot of assumptions here. why would they throw out the food otherwise?
    So when I drive my food home from the supermarket and decide to stop for a coffee I'm actually risking my life?

... worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Rodin wrote: »
    At what point is it no longer property of Tesco?

Until the goods have been legally purchased and legal tender has changed hands.
    There was a case there a few years back where a man ate afew sweets from the pick&mix as he strolled around doing his shopping.
    The cameras caugh him and he was lead into a back room where he was prepped for surgery and the sweets removed from his stomach and placed back in to the pick&mix bins aswell as a large portion of the mans stomach fluids and testicle fluids.
    It can all be found in the literature available from any tesco helpdesk.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

phasers wrote: »
    How could you sue the store? You pulled it out of their bins!

The law should be as soon as it's in the bin it's not the shop's responsibility anymore. Wouldn't this suit everyone?

because you would have to prove that you did not sell it to them, i remember that from when i worked in dunnes, the fridges went off for an hour, they got skips and dumped 1000s of frozen goods, and they had a couple arrested for taking stuff out of the skip,
    I think it was something to do with health regs. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭LAVADUDE

I think common sense should be applied and that the charges should be dropped,

First, she has no right to go through a bin belonging to someone else, thats like me going through your bins looking for stuff and if I happen to com upon a bank statement or stuff I can blackmail with all the better.
    Second, with legal action being taken for ridiculous things these days, people should have a right to be able to protect themselves from lawsuits

But that being said what she was doing was harmless and had no malicious intent about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

They should set up a police task force for this sort of thing, these people are the real scourge on society. I really laugh when people say the police are their to protect property owners and companies. This waffles could have been flung at Prince William, disgrace. Death to her.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Right first off I'm going to come into a thread about a news story and read the news story so now I am an expert legal adviser and the story is the whole truth and I know exactly what happened and now I will tell you how it is right/wrong.

There is no second off.

Advertisement