Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'Rants of a Mature Student'

Options
  • 22-06-2010 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi All,

Have just finished first year Psychology with OU. Didn't know you 'maturies' were here until recently. Anyway, as I completed my last assignment, I had an idea to compile a 'book' for charity (something edu orientated) on mature students and their stories of returning to college/university. It would be a bit like 'Chicken Soup for the Soul' etc. If your interested in writing, let me know - all 'works' will be accredited to the 'budding authors'. Anyone fancy giving it a go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I was a mature student about 10 years ago, my fellow students were around 10 years younger than my eldest children. I had great respect for most of them, studying, getting used to living away from home, budgeting and feeding themselves, and enjoying college life.

I don't really think I could make an interesting story of my experience though. I thoroughly enjoyed it but my day was totally taken up by my studies, and my problems were much the same as those of the younger students in terms of admin and lecture issues, nothing very interesting. In the evenings I went home, got the dinner, looked after my youngest daughter, did some more college work and went to bed.

Good luck with your project though, I hope you get some takers.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

I'm only starting as a mature student this september, otherwise I would be totally up for that. I think it's a fantastic idea Rubix. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I shall sticky this thread for a while and see how it goes. -Larianne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Just finished a year as a mature student. A lot of study and research and subjects which I wasn't really prepared for. However, I soon got the hang of things and slid into a disciplined routine. Most of the students were in their 20's. My 'gang' were in their 50's, 60's plus. The biggest problem I had was that a few of the teachers treated the mature students like kids and we really didn't like this. Also we found that the curriculum was really designed and aimed towards the younger students and didn't take us into consideration at all. Some classes were just an insult. Almost "what do you want to be when you grow up" kind of stuff. Some teachers were terrific and treated us like equals and understood that we had a wealth of experience behind us. All in all I'm glad I did the course, but I wouldn't go back to full time study again, but I would consider part time. I did the course to upskill but realistically, there is still no future for someone my age at this stage. Knackered really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Rubix

Hmmm...... maybe we need to broaden the subject matter to all students and their stories of going to college, with a section on mature students. The stories don't have to be the overall experience but maybe one experience or aspect, like the first day, which you build into a story. One mature student told me in conversation that she was handed the microphone when she walked in to the lecturer hall on her first day - they thought she was the lecturer!! Keep the replies coming, I need to get a feel for the possibilities before I dive in head first!!!! Rubix

• Advertisement

In one of my classes we were put into small groups for discussion. I sat beside a good looking african lad with the broadest whitest smile I've ever seen and I wondered what country he was from. As I sat down beside him, he turned to me and said, 'hello.....where are you from'? I was taken aback for a second because I thought I was obviously a pasty-faced Dubliner, (he was from Eritrea) Classic! Really polite chap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Rubix

Maybe Jellybaby, after so many people asking him the same question, he decided to turn the tables or he thought it was the standard opening line in a conversation. What did you study?:)

Hi Rubix, well I got the impression he was just being polite, with so many non-nationals in the class I suppose it was a normal opening question anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭atheist

Didn't keep one but could have

Remember student's don't buy rounds

Young students cringe when the loan mature has to contribute a real world experience in every class

Stopped but tacit agreement I contribute every 10 mins during most boring lecture

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Carolanne..

I'm starting in NUIG in September after been out of the loop for 6 years and scared is an understatement!! Sounds like you have a good basis for a story there if you need any help I can tell you of my experience when I start if it helps!

• Advertisement

Besides the good story, how about a TV drama, or a Movie?? We've had plenty of the films with angst-ridden teens, it's time for a change. How about a newer version of 'Goodbye Mr Chips"? Mr Chips could be a new student teacher, and the students could be of the more mature variety!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭ROCE1977

I'm going to College as a mature student next month. I'll keep this in mind.

Hi ROCE1977 - Best of luck on your course. Keep us posted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I have to agree with looksee, I am my 4th year as a mature student and I have to say nothing even remotely interesting has happened in that time. I get up, get the kids ready for school, go to college, attend boring lectures, go home, get the dinner ready, sit down, get the kids ready for bed, watch tv, go to be and repeat again tomorrow. Going to college as a mature student is just like normal life except you go to college instead of going to work. College may be good craic for young school leavers but when you get on a bit you just look out of place in the student nightclubs, doing an OU course probably hasent given you an accurate impression of mature student life but I for one couldent contribute any more than a 5 line(at best) description of something moderately humorous that most people would probably find fairly boring to read.

Sorry to read your post BlackEdelweiss and you are obviously very disappointed. I also found the younger students weren't the slightest bit interested in me either. On the other hand, however, I met about half a dozen other mature students around my own age, some in my own class and others doing other subjects, and I must say I did bond with them and had some fun along the way, not much mind, but enough to help me keep going. I have met them again since finishing college for a reunion and still get the odd email from a couple of them, so all in all that was a good experience for me. College work, was just college work, as it would be anywhere I suppose. My only suggestion to anyone returning to education is to try to get to know students your own age if there are any around. It must be harder of course if there aren't any your age to communicate with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Rubix wrote: »
    It would be a bit like 'Chicken Soup for the Soul' etc. If your interested in writing, let me know - all 'works' will be accredited to the 'budding authors'. Anyone fancy giving it a go?
    I'd love to. Having spent five years as a nighttime undergrad in TCD in my 20's and a further two years Postgrad in my late 30's in the same kip I have my fair share of war-stories.

It's a great idea, but your best bet is to approach publishers with a brief outline first and gauge if there's interest.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Sorry to read your post BlackEdelweiss and you are obviously very disappointed.

I'm not sure why you think I am disappointed, I enjoyed my time in college and if I ever won the lotto I would spend my time going to college, doing different courses and finding out more about how the world works. It is way better than working in a crap job and I liked the flexibility I had if something came up that I couldent go in for a day or 2 that I wasent going to loose my job. I met several mature students, one is quite a good friend, others I bump into from time to time. I love college, dont get me wrong on that, my point is that not much interesting to other people happened to me in that time, it is just a part of normal life. I dont think anybody would want to read about my experiences or to be truthful, about anybody else's either. I went to college when I was 18 and I could tell you a few stories about my exploits then that may be worth reading as would loads of other 18 to 21 year olds college stories but I never met a mature student who done anything other than carried on their normal everyday life while they were in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Yeah, I went back to education in my mid thirties. It wasn't an "Educating Rita" type of experience, although, of course, I did benefit and grow from it also. TBH, I didn't really draw too much of a distinction between mature and typical students, I had friends from both camps. That could be more down to the fact that I'm single so my life wasn't as hectic as some of the parents that I studied with. TBH, I found the matures who made an issue out of it to be really annoying. Some of them were more immature and cliquey than the younger folk.

But then, I was never in a scenario where we were being patronised either. Matures are pretty commonplace now, and a normal part of college/uni life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I just finished a degree in UCD as a mature student.Hadn't studied since I left school in 1987 and I didn't particularly work very hard then. Scraped my leaving. Anyway I always felt I let myself down as I was quite promising when I was a kid but just didn't have the maturity to see the bigger picture and I regretted it. I did a lot of crappy jobs over the years and my world view wasn't great.
    Anyway I got in to UCD but I still had to work to pay the bills. It was tough but I got honours in the end. I will be conferred in December and I suspect I will cry. I wish I had done it years ago and I also wish I didn't have to work while doing it.There were times when I felt exhausted and frsutrated but what can you do? I'm amazed at myself really because up to now I have given up anything I have ever tried.
    I didn't really have time for making friends etc. which is something I missed out on too. I'm hoping to do a masters but I need to save up money first. Overall it has given me more confidence but I still have that regret that I wasted so much time in my life.Getting pissed,drugged up etc. and life was passing me by. I have a lot of catching up to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Thought id post my own observations / rant, this is my second run at third level (redundancy etc etc) and I have to say i'm surprised at the amount of older students on my course, I hard to tell who came from second level with the amount of people returning to education or coming from a PLC course, I think there is one obivious lad from second level and he is the the one that looks out of place :p I was expecting myself to be the one to be out of place. :confused:

Now to the rant, I find the work load / study this time around something phenomenal ,:p I never remember it being that bad before (is it because im getting older or because the course is semesterised?) I havent looked at the television or PS3 in over a month :eek:.
    The last rant is at the lectures, wow they can be arrogant, patronizing little ....(you know ;)), wouldnt mind but some of them are younger than me, I should have a chat and set them straight :D, also love the lecturers that are capable to giving a presentation to a empty room I should just bring a tape recorder and just leave :D.

Thanks for starting this thread, felt good to get that load off my shoulders, I'm sure there will be more to come.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure why you think I am disappointed,

Sorry, I misunderstood you, but it sounded to me like you were expecting more. Apologies for getting it wrong.

The only thing I am disappointed about is that there are not going to be any jobs at the end of 4 years hard work.

Me too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 bobbybouche

at least you get that sense of achievment i guess... :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭grinds

I think college has become alot more structured in the lat few yearsw. Gone are the days of not turning up for months on end and cramming for a few weeks to pass the exams. Its all continuous assessment and semesters these days. Probably a good thing for mature students though as it offers more support I think and gives you more direction if you have been away from the books for a few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 fionab2010

I am almost finished my course, im mature and in my class there are 22 students, about 6 matures and the rest are all young-ish but not quite mature. Everyone blends really well, except for a few:rolleyes: we are all aware of the tension that sometimes exists. It's because there are 21 women on my course and one poor man thrown into the mix. Too many women locke dinto a room together 5 days a week, not a very good idea:rolleyes:
    It's a pre-nursing course, so it gets a bit nitty gritty and the older girls take the piss alot and the younger girls giggle at the mention of a genital subject and the poor guy just smiles and asks to be excused from the mayhem, but it's mostly good craic!

I have to say i do not blend as well with my matures as well as i do with the younger girls. I'm 29 and single, whereas some of the other matures are married and others have kids so they have more on their mind i guess. I am very easy going also and a mammy at heart so i like to watch over the little ones. I find myself consoling people alot in college who get anxious or stressed, i take things in my stride, i suppose because i have dealt with alot in my life. So i like to help them if i can by either studying with them or takingthem by the hand to the tax office to do something about grants etc... im always holding a ducky by the hand.

Then coffee break comes and its always the same people in the canteen, the matures, so we have coffee and chats, the younger students dont seem to be as financially up as the matures, as much as we complain about btea and not getting a grant, i feel for the 4 girls in my class who are totally funding their studies, rent, college materials, uniforms, lunches, buses, food, and bills all by just hand outs from parents or by a part time job - one girl works for super valu and gets ridiculously low wages :mad:. The younger ones do not have 1.50 a day for a coffee in the canteen, sometimes i feel llike bringing a flask in for the duckies. poor things.

My mother thinks i went back to college to drink and have a bit of craic :rolleyes: she thinks students are the only ones with money lol :eek:

I know how tough it is for people, the struggles they have and the money they do not have. And i know more than one person who goes to tesco just before they close, to gettheir shopping, because 15 minutes before they close they reduce the stock down to practically nothing the stock thats about to go out of date. :( Its tough for some.

But i have to say everyone on my course are glass is half full people and they know at the end of it all it will be worth it.

Advertisement