Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gas Fracking

Options
  • 15-06-2011 1:11am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I dunno whether any of you have heard of this controversial type of gas exploration technique called fracking that has been proposed for the Lough Allen basin which covers the areas of Sligo, Leitrim, Roscommon, Donegal et al. Fracking is the same procedure that led to the earth tremor/quake in Blackpool a couple of weeks ago. And the same technique thats been recently banned in France.

Anyway, there is an award winning documentary called Gasland that is currently being shown around the north west and explains how the process has been linked with serious water pollution and health problems for people in and near the sites in America. In my view it is essential viewing if people want to start their journey on being informed about this situation in light of the two companies granted licences who are now on the verge of starting their exploration.
    Next showing is in Ballymote
    http://www.cinemanorthwest.com/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Read a very good article in Time magazine about it and there was an article in the Irish Times recently.

I'd imagine that it is going to be quite controversial as the the exploration companies approach individual land owners and make an offer to extract the gas. No cost to the landowner and they get a few quid. i can see this as being a tempting offer for many.

The problem is that nobody knows the longterm effects of Fracking. The other issue is that the mining companies have refused to say what chemicals are being put in with the water. In true American fashion, the industry has managed to get some States to put into law that they do not have to declare what's in the chemicals.

Fracking will affect the water table and with individual wells and group water schemes the potential for pollution is huge.

Irish Times Article - What's your fracking problem?

Time - Another fracking mess for the shale gas industry

(Journos obviously love the play upon the word fracking!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

BrianD wrote: »
    Read a very good article in Time magazine about it and there was an article in the Irish Times recently.

I'd imagine that it is going to be quite controversial as the the exploration companies approach individual land owners and make an offer to extract the gas. No cost to the landowner and they get a few quid. i can see this as being a tempting offer for many.

The problem is that nobody knows the longterm effects of Fracking. The other issue is that the mining companies have refused to say what chemicals are being put in with the water. In true American fashion, the industry has managed to get some States to put into law that they do not have to declare what's in the chemicals.

Fracking will affect the water table and with individual wells and group water schemes the potential for pollution is huge.

Irish Times Article - What's your fracking problem?

Time - Another fracking mess for the shale gas industry

(Journos obviously love the play upon the word fracking!)

Thanks Brian, Ronan Mc Greevy has also put up the interviews with the two chief executives on the irish Times website there as well. (on the right of the article) That Time article that you attached I hadnt seen before is extremely interesting, especially linking the methane and fracking. As can be see in the interview with one of the chief execs he is using the regular line that methane can happen in naturally occuring situatiions as well. So proof like the Time article and the need for more research on potential deleterious effects is a priority.

Yes it has the potential to be quite devisive, especially when there is a potential of money and jobs. However, lets hope that short term gain doesnt overlook safety concerns and lets face it our regional agriculture and tourism which has the opportunity to give more sustainable jobs. If our 'product' is ruined or polluted then where are we really. Thats before we get into the issue of peoples health. I suppose thats why I hope that this thing is weighed up by all concerned.

Btw, Theres a facebook site for people that is generating alot of information at the moment called What the frack? if people want to link up with it.

You are right everyone loves the wordplay on frack!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

The jobs seem to be few and far between as the drilling operations seem to be mechanical after a while.

I think the big problem will be greed. It seems that all the land owner had to do is to allow land access and gets paid rent. No capital costs. It's almost like renting a field or selling as site. It will be tempting for some landowners.

One hopes that the Government will require the exploration companies to declare what exactly it is that they are putting into the ground with the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

The jobs seem to be few and far between as the drilling operations seem to be mechanical after a while.

I think the big problem will be greed. It seems that all the land owner had to do is to allow land access and gets paid rent. No capital costs. It's almost like renting a field or selling as site. It will be tempting for some landowners.

One hopes that the Government will require the exploration companies to declare what exactly it is that they are putting into the ground with the water.

Just a reminder that the next showing of Gasland is this thursday at 8pm in Ballymote.

Agree with previous sentiment of making sure this process is as open and transparent as possible. In the current economic climate there may be a tendancy to dismiss those with concerns as people with "political agendas" as was disgracefully the case with the Drumshanbo Fine Gael Councillor Eoin Mcgloin in the Irish Times article already cited. If having a "political agenda" means demanding that our environment is not destroyed and asking that the proceeds of any gas extracted is for the benefit of the Irish people then i definitely do share that "agenda".

Mcgloin also insinuates that the presence of "a guy from Rossport" at a screening was something negative. On the contrary the views of someone from a community with direct experience of dealing with the licensing process, multinationals and the potential impact on their surroundings is surely helpful.

I thinks its also important to involve as many possible in the debate. Especially the farmers and landowners. Of course it will be appealing in the short term to pocket a cheque but everyone needs to be fully informed what the potential consequences could be.

Its difficult not to be pessimistic with regards to our natural resources especially considering the practical giving away of the Corrib gas to Shell. Its vital that we question everything and keep this debate alive and not fall into a mindset that we take whatever financial incentives are on offer regardless of the consequences.

Richard Moorman of Tamboran said “I would have every faith in Irish regulators". Surely its the Irish people who should have faith in the regulators and not the multi-national compamies. And after our experience of regualation over the last few years a lot of people may be doubtful.....

Met Duncan Stewart from RTE on Monday and he was of exactly the same opinion. He is antifracking as not providing sustainable jobs in our community. They can be found he advocates in shifting to work in generating renewable energy, eco tourism, and of course our local food industry.

Anyway I have a press release that was forwarded me from Cinema North West who are organsing Thursdays event. They are expecting quite a few of the local councillors and the latest news is that John Perry (TD) has promised to attend. So there is an opportunity for a good debate afterwards,

Screening of the US Academy Award winning film Gasland
    at the mobile cinema beside the Coach House Hotel Ballymote
    on Thursday 23 June at 8.00 p.m.

In the last days of the Fianna Fáil government, licences were granted to two companies – the Australian-owned Tamboran Resources and Lough Allen Natural Gas Company (LANGCO) to explore for shale gas. The areas targetted include counties Sligo, Roscommon, Leitrim, Cavan, Donegal and Fermanagh. Exploratory work is eminent in your area and could well take place on your property or adjoining property. People need to be aware of the scale and adverse potential of these developments.

A campaign is currently in progress calling for a ban on the Shale Gas extraction method known as Hydraulic Fracturing in the Lough Allen and Clare Basin based on well-documented international data relating to human and animal health-and-safety as well as the serious environmental degradation emanating from the process.

To date the French Parliament have banned Hydraulic Fracturing. All exploration has been halted as of 3 weeks ago in Lancashire England following earthquakes in the immediate vicinity of “fracking” activity. In addition, many U.S. States are now taking action on the basis of the damaging effects of “fracking” on human and animal health.

A screening of the U.S. Academy Award winning film Gasland which deals with the environmental side-effects of Shale Gas Exploration is being organised by Cinema North West in Ballymote on Thursday 23 June at 8.00 p.m. It will take place in the mobile cinema beside the Coach House Hotel.

All councillors and political representatives in Co. Sligo and Co. Roscommon have been invited to attend.

Tickets E8 / E7 unwaged.
    There will be a discussion after the film and an opportunity to sign a petition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

I would be very supportive of any initiative that seeks to educate people about the effects of fracking. Most evidence points to it being a pretty daming practice for the environment and the well being of those within the catchment.

Unfortunately, we as the Irish don't have a good record when it comes to looking after our environment. We are greedy and a lot of us are dirty. We consistently throw the green baby out with the bath water in favour of the fast buck, we do this at local as well as national level.

Look what we did to the green party in the last election (Ive no connection). I couldn't believe it.

Look how we behaved as soon as we got a bit of money. We went on a building spree and destroyed every view in the land.

Look at the filth that lines every road in the country from our lazy filthy car windows.

I take my dog walking up through the Curlew's and more or less cry when I see the illegal dumping on Coillte land. Who does that? who in the hell goes to all the trouble of bringing their filth to a remote place in the middle of the night in order to save a fiver for a bin bag?

Look at our appalling record when it comes to animal welfare.

I could go on and on but I'm weary.

I do fear any participation from anyone connected to Rossport whether well intended or not. They are associated with a negative image now, much of which is self inflicted. They are divided amongst themselves and rumours and allegations thrive about less than wholesome connections and support to their cause for whatever purpose or agenda.

Please god this latest issue will be dealt with intelligently. Bear in mind, humans are often greedy and corrupt and the only way to navigate this is with legislation. If enough farmers are offered a fast buck and the promise of jobs is drilled on national media, then the fight is a tough one.

I just dread seeing any environmental issue on the Irish horizon. They always seem destined to tragedy and disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

tuppence wrote: »
    Hi,

I dunno whether any of you have heard of this controversial type of gas exploration technique called fracking that has been proposed for the Lough Allen basin which covers the areas of Sligo, Leitrim, Roscommon, Donegal et al. Fracking is the same procedure that led to the earth tremor/quake in Blackpool a couple of weeks ago. And the same technique thats been recently banned in France.

Anyway, there is an award winning documentary called Gasland that is currently being shown around the north west and explains how the process has been linked with serious water pollution and health problems for people

Thanks for posting this. I hope the documentary can be made available nationally.

I wasn't aware that fracking was proposed in Ireland and it fills me with horror - even more horrifying than watching the oil spew out of the seabed in the Gulf of Mexico.

Following the incidents in Blackpool\Cumbria I read a little about this and the scale of fracking in the USA. I cannot comprehend how permission can be given for something that is such a danger to water supplies.

I'll start with a letter to my TDs and the minister... and I won't be offended if anyone scoffs at my naivety .

Hi,

Anyway, there is an award winning documentary called Gasland that is currently being shown around the north west and explains how the process has been linked with serious water pollution and health problems for people in and near the sites in America. In my view it is essential viewing if people want to start their journey on being informed about this situation in light of the two companies granted licences who are now on the verge of starting their exploration.
    Next showing is in Ballymote
    http://www.cinemanorthwest.com/

Can we get a clear picture of the situation as it stands.

Who is proposing what?
    At what stage are these proposals?
    What are the precise facts at this point in time (if you can provide references to information, that'd be very helpful)

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

dnme wrote: »
    Can we get a clear picture of the situation as it stands.
    Who is proposing what?
    At what stage are these proposals?
    What are the precise facts at this point in time (if you can provide references to information, that'd be very helpful)

Many thanks

Have a look at the Irish Times article, linked above. "Proposals" might be an understatement - exploration licences have been issued

Have a look at the Irish Times article, linked above. "Proposals" might be an understatement - exploration licences have been issued
    Yes this is my understanding of the situation so far, the two companies and (theres a third in Fermanagn ) have exploration licences for this period. (less than a two yr period now) They are exploraing in the context that there had been gas found before but couldnt be accessed. Thats before this newest technology. Fracking is the only way they wil be able to get at it and they have admitted they will be using it. For this period they are supposed to be doing some shallow digging and desk research. They will have to go back to the minister after this stage and seek further licencing for the actual procedure afaik. Thats of course if they deem its viable an option to get at. And of course one would presume they woudl nt be here if they didnt think they could.

There is a petition going around with the mobile cinema when its showing teh film. Theres tends to be debates afterwards which is a good way to keep up to date. http://www.cinemanorthwest.com/

"What the frack?" facebook site is steadily building up a large following just run by concerned locals. They tend to source information and research and are building resources eg posters and leaflets etc to raise the issue wih the general public.

What the frack has just launched its website this weekend and this I belive has the terms of the licence thats been granted as well as the areas/townlands in the counties where licence have been permitted. I woudl suggest if you wanted to get further involved to pm the facebook site or What the frack website and ask to be out on an contact list too. And theres more on the site btw. here is the link...
    http://what-the-frack.org/gas-land-the-movie/

• Advertisement

Many thanks, yes I had rad the Irish Times article. I guess my question was badly worded. I was just wondering had exploration begin? on who's land? who's permission etc but as you say there's a website so I'll look there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 daithiordave

Insiders Warn “Shale Plays are Just Giant Ponzi Schemes” in Bombshell-Laden NY Times Piece on Natural Gas, Fracking, http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/26/us/26gas.html?_r=2&hp

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

Have you seen this? http://nyp.st/iIyXG5 Any thoughts on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭frackingishell

well, wonder what crackpot Ireland will manage on this one....

Can i point out to everyone that Fracking has KILLED most of the places where it was used in the USA. Many states have now banned it.

Can i also point out that it was DickCheney, the celebrated humanitarian, whose company, halliburton, pioneered this process in the United states. Now, you'll love this;
    Politicians who supported the industry had tried for years to exempt fracking from the Safe Drinking Water Act, the 1974 law that regulates the injection of waste and chemicals underground. The EPA's 2004 study was used to justify that effort. With the help of then-Vice President Dick Cheney -- the former head of Halliburton -- President George W. Bush's landmark energy legislation, the 2005 Energy Policy Act, included a provision that prohibited the EPA from regulating fracking under the Safe Drinking Water Act. Regulation would be left to the states, many of which had underfunded agencies, looser standards and less manpower than the federal government.
    So hundreds (if not thousands) of dirt-poor American communites in the US were duped by Halliburton with the promise financial gain and jobs. WHOLE AREAS ARE NOW WASTELANDS!. Most of these communities are now destroyed, their water tables destroyed, with ground water they can literally light on fire.

People can see the Gasland documentary online aswell, you dont have to travel for it http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/613/index.html

This needs to be outlawed in this country, as it has been outlawed in France. This is short term minor financial gain in exchange for COMPLETE devastation.

Please call your TD, it seems to be the Minister for Natural resources, and voice your objection. Let's also realise that Fianna Fail attempted to do what Cheney did as they were thrown out of power. Lets also realise we've seen this before with Fianna Fail and Bertie and our Forests, and the international Swiss consortium that he tried to head up to buy them recently, using secret information he knows but cannot be released to the public due to a law he enacted.

Enough is enough folks, please GOD Fine gael and Labour can get this one right. Fracking Is Hell.

TheQ47 wrote: »
    Have you seen this? http://nyp.st/iIyXG5 Any thoughts on it?

Absolute dis-iniformation, total rubbish

Hi Folks,

a petition against fracking. would really appreciate signing and forwarding of it to as many people as you think would care- took us a while to put it together.

cheers

http://www.change.org/petitions/ban-destructive-gas-fracking-in-ireland

(ps- the website might be a bit up and down today as they said they were getting cyber attacks from china after ai wei wei petition got him released before the chinese visit to Britain last week).

pm ed instead.

Hi tuppence- dont follow you?

Hi tuppence- dont follow you?
    You got what I sent you. :)

You got what I sent you. :)

yep was a bit bleary eyed looking at the screen :-) -anyway, all stuff taken on board by the way - reload that petition and you'll see. Have a good one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 amsol

In the Lough Allen Area, many people are trying to organize. Some local websites and links:

http://lough-allen-frack-free.weebly.com/index.html

What the Frack? on Facebook

Especially look for showings of film Gasland.

Fracking is not only being planned for Sligo, Cavan, Roscommon, Leitrim and Donegal, but actual licenses for drilling (not just test drilling) have, I am told, been already granted in Fermanagh. Another company, Enego, has been granted test drilling licenses for the Clare Basin, including Counties Clare and Limerick. The entire inland waterway system, lake and stream fishing, and agriculture over thousands of acres could be affected if this goes through. This has to be stopped, and it will only be halted if this time, we are actually heard in Government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Please tell me this is a horrible joke. This cannot be let happen in ireland too.

The French government have apparently said no to fracking just yesterday, but this was only after a LARGE protest movement.

What worries me is that they have said no to fracking but not to the whole thing...

amsol wrote: »
    In the Lough Allen Area, many people are trying to organize. Some local websites and links:

What the Frack? on Facebook

Especially look for showings of film Gasland.

Fracking is not only being planned for Sligo, Cavan, Roscommon, Leitrim and Donegal, but actual licenses for drilling (not just test drilling) have, I am told, been already granted in Fermanagh. Another company, Enego, has been granted test drilling licenses for the Clare Basin, including Counties Clare and Limerick. The entire inland waterway system, lake and stream fishing, and agriculture over thousands of acres could be affected if this goes through. This has to be stopped, and it will only be halted if this time, we are actually heard in Government.

Gasland is linked on my petition below- a lump of it is on pbs

http://www.change.org/petitions/ban-destructive-gas-fracking-in-ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 amsol

1. See Gasland
    2. Sign petitions: fackingishell has posted this one:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/ban-...ing-in-ireland
    3. My website give you a place to sign up for ongoing info:
    This website tells you what the state of licenses are in the Republic, and
    news videos on the situation in the US, UK and Australia.
    4. Go to Council meetings about fracking when you see they are posted:
    my website, hopefully.
    5. Check out other websites, as you see them here.

This is no joke, unfortunately, and given the Government's track record in honesty and openness, even more worrying.

amsol

well said Amsol. Unfortunately in Ireland it's often a bad idea to place faith in our elected officials doing the right thing for us.

Richard Moorman of Tamboran that is seeking to conduct hydraulic fracturing in Lough Allen also appears to have been an employee of South-Western Energy who are the subject of lawsuits by people in the United States over alleged damage caused by fracking. http://www.tamboran.com/node/2

The cases are as far as I can see are still ongoing but it hardly fills you with confidence over what may be in store for this region:(

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2011/05/24/nb-southwestern-lawsuit-hydro-fracking-551.html
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2011/03/10/nb-hydrofracking-lawsuit.html

I find it a little patronising to have concerns about fracking refered to as "mild hysteria" by Senator Paschal Mooney. Are the French government hysterical for banning it?. Still, at least the issue was raised on a national political platform, lets hope this is just the beginning.
    http://oceanfm.ie/article/Calls-for-Communications-Minister-to-address-consequences-of-proposed-hydraulic-fracturing-/

yeah, i'd prefer if the Fianna Fail senator didn't patronise me, even if he is demonstrating how stupid he is by attempting to belittle this issue. (Co-incidentally the senator is from the party that issued the exploration licenses just before they were dumped from office...)

anyone else feel the same? do let Paschal know- i'm pretty sure this is the senator's official contact address- available on the internet also.
    paschal@paschalmooney.eu

I'm really bothered by the fact that parties in Government were allowed to give these licenses without public consultation, or some sort of oversight. It stinks of backscratching, and backhanders, and it's never in the National interest.

The sooner this country can break away from the bull**** civil war political system that is crippling us the better. They're all the same with a different label, and we're all being conned on a daily basis by our own perceptions.

But that's another days work. No to Fracking for now!

For those who havent seen Gasland here is a short (17min) investigative report on Fracking in the United States. Check out Richard Moorman (tamboran) in the Leitrim Observer on his plans for fracking in the region. Scary stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEB_Wwe-uBM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Would any of ye come to see this film if it was shown in the Trades Club?

Was chatting to a buck who could put it on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement