Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PS3 - Resources, Technical Issues, Troubleshooting, FAQs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

I have been trying to use Sky Player through my house mates PS3 but it has not been working. A message at the top of the screen says the browser I am using is not supported. Anybody have any advice on this?

Never used a PS3 until today so pretty new to it. RTE player and BBC iPlayer are working fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Have had four failed attempts to upgrade to the latest firmware 3.41,connected wirelessly so thought that was the problem and used wired connection still no joy.Downloaded update to pc and used flash drive,all was going well and update almost done when Data Corrupted message appeared:mad:
    Do Sony not want me to update? Any ideas guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Hey lads..

Have a problem with my ps3. it turns on and all but when i switch the channel to a different av its no where to be found.. i have it hooked up to a lcd tv and im using an old connection from a ps2.. any help please? like it powers on but thats it.. :mad::mad:

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Hey lads..

Have a problem with my ps3. it turns on and all but when i switch the channel to a different av its no where to be found.. i have it hooked up to a lcd tv and im using an old connection from a ps2.. any help please? like it powers on but thats it.. :mad::mad:

Thanks in advance.

When starting it up, hold down the power button for about 10 secs so it switches to from HD to SD - should work :)

Keithm89 wrote: »
    When starting it up, hold down the power button for about 10 secs so it switches to from HD to SD - should work :)

Thats great.. thanks.. i should of explained to you in a bit more detail.. its been sitting in a box for over a year.. ive a wireless controller here now so how do i connect it?? sorry but i havent a clue bout these things.. thanks :)

• Advertisement

Thats great.. thanks.. i should of explained to you in a bit more detail.. its been sitting in a box for over a year.. ive a wireless controller here now so how do i connect it?? sorry but i havent a clue bout these things.. thanks :)

Just plug in the usb cable into the top of the controller and the other end into the PS3 and press the PS button- it might need a bit of a charge if you haven't used it in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

As far as i remember plug it in with the usb lead and press the ps button and it connects

Just plug in the usb cable into the top of the controller and the other end into the PS3 and press the PS button- it might need a bit of a charge if you haven't used it in a while

small problem... there not in the box.. can i buy them??

small problem... there not in the box.. can i buy them??

Any regular old USB cable should work - maybe one from a digital camera or a mobile phone

Any regular old USB cable should work - maybe one from a digital camera or a mobile phone

Thanks.. its set up now and all.. i may hook it up to the wireless in the house now.. and of course buy a few games..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭dazco

The blu ray drive on my old 60gig model is f*cked, well i'd assume so as it plays everything else fine (ps2/ps1 games and dvd's) but not ps3 games or blu ray movies. Asked in a shop in Blanchardstown today and they said it'd be about 150 to repair it, anyone know anywhere cheaper or if i have any other options?

dazco wrote: »
    The blu ray drive on my old 60gig model is f*cked, well i'd assume so as it plays everything else fine (ps2/ps1 games and dvd's) but not ps3 games or blu ray movies. Asked in a shop in Blanchardstown today and they said it'd be about 150 to repair it, anyone know anywhere cheaper or if i have any other options?

Mine was like that,took it appart and the drive was manky with dust,cleaned it up and its grand now.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Diageio_Man

heading into maplins in an hour to pick up thermal paste so i can fix another mates ps3. I'v fixed 4 so far the 1st one i fixed is still going strong after 5 months. Dont pay the 160 quid to send it to sony. get some one who knows what there at to try fix it. If i can help anyone out im around the dublin area. just give me a pm and i'll try give you's a hand fixing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭crazyFeet

well, finally I am a proud owner of a ps3 slim 250Gb and f**king what? well nothing but a f**king load of nerves waisted!!! :mad: Brand new and it freezes constantly; was playing civilization and pressed the triangle to go into a wiki by an accident twice, froze right away, this happened about 5 times so far just in that case not to mention many others in different games. WTF? Little brother has a 40g 3year old ps3 and it NEVER froze :D is this a windows vista situation when sony goes from Grand to WTF ??? still have my warrenty so i might just return it da fk

(one very pissed of ps3 person)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Right, bought my PS3 last Monday. All was working grand until tonight when I went to turn it on. It's hooked up via HDMI cable to my TV. When I turn it on I hear the sound from the TV but there's no picture. Well there is a picture but the screen is all grey with a few green spots on screen.

EDIT: Never mind. It's my TV. Plugged my Xbox in and turned it on and the same coloured screen is coming up for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Have the origional 40gb ps3, well had one from launch which lasted about a year, then it stopped reading all discs, as it was still under waranty I returned it and received a replacement, the same 40gb model, which I have now had for a couple of years, now I have the same problem again, however the waranty has elapsed. I followed a tutorial on youtube and cleaned the lens in my blu ray drive, but no joy, I'm just wondering if I replace the lens would this sort my problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I bought a PS3 today and have run into some difficulty with it. When I turn it on and stick a DVD or a game into it, nothing happens. There's a clock icon on the top right which spins around for a bit and then stops but that it. Am I doing something retarded or could the console have somehow been damaged in transit or something? It doesn't look damaged and I'm able to navigate through the menus but that's all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Malice_ wrote: »
    I bought a PS3 today and have run into some difficulty with it. When I turn it on and stick a DVD or a game into it, nothing happens. There's a clock icon on the top right which spins around for a bit and then stops but that it. Am I doing something retarded or could the console have somehow been damaged in transit or something? It doesn't look damaged and I'm able to navigate through the menus but that's all.

Sounds like a problem with the machine alright, shouldn't be doing that. If it's not running anything, bring it straight back to the shop! Unless you're putting the disc in the wrong way, but I'm going to give you much more credit than that :p

Sounds like a problem with the machine alright, shouldn't be doing that. If it's not running anything, bring it straight back to the shop! Unless you're putting the disc in the wrong way, but I'm going to give you much more credit than that :p
    Silvery side up, everyone knows that ;).

It's a strange one alright. It's like it spins up for a bit then clicks a bit. This part sounds like an old multi-cd stereo I had where the tray with the discs had to spin around. Then it whirs for a bit more and then stops. I have it packed up now anyway, ready to be sent back to the supplier. Hopefully it won't take too long to resolve.

Silvery side up, everyone knows that ;).

It's a strange one alright. It's like it spins up for a bit then clicks a bit. This part sounds like an old multi-cd stereo I had where the tray with the discs had to spin around. Then it whirs for a bit more and then stops. I have it packed up now anyway, ready to be sent back to the supplier. Hopefully it won't take too long to resolve.

Have you tried navigating to the column that says 'Game' and then scrolling downwards?

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    Have you tried navigating to the column that says 'Game' and then scrolling downwards?
    Yep, myself and my housemate went through every possible menu option a bunch of times, believe me. As I recall the Game menu is the one where you can manage memory cards and view achievements etc. There was no option to Play Game or View Movie or whatever and the noises it makes when a disc is inserted do not fill me with confidence at all. Unfortunately I bought it online which means the whole saga of getting it sorted is probably only beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

-oRnein9- wrote: »
    Have the origional 40gb ps3, well had one from launch which lasted about a year, then it stopped reading all discs, as it was still under waranty I returned it and received a replacement, the same 40gb model, which I have now had for a couple of years, now I have the same problem again, however the waranty has elapsed. I followed a tutorial on youtube and cleaned the lens in my blu ray drive, but no joy, I'm just wondering if I replace the lens would this sort my problem?

Any advise?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭crazyFeet

try getting a blue-ray drive and replacing it... or just sell you ps3 for parts and get a new one/used from gamestop or such...

Yep, myself and my housemate went through every possible menu option a bunch of times, believe me. As I recall the Game menu is the one where you can manage memory cards and view achievements etc. There was no option to Play Game or View Movie or whatever and the noises it makes when a disc is inserted do not fill me with confidence at all. Unfortunately I bought it online which means the whole saga of getting it sorted is probably only beginning.

Sorry if that last post made me sound condesending. Wasn't intended that way. Hope it gets sorted.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Sorry if that last post made me sound condesending. Wasn't intended that way. Hope it gets sorted.
    I didn't read it as a condescending post at all :) I'm going over to a mate's house later to check out his working PS3 to ensure that I'm not doing something retarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 donanore

If its any help, buy the slim model. I had to replace my 40gb ps3 for 160 at gamestop because the blu-ray drive stopped working and after a year it started to overheat coz the fan started makin a load of noise. It eventually got the Yellow light of death. I got it working again but it didnt fix the problem. I traded it in for a slim model at gamestop. luckily the fan didnt come on when the checked it. :D Slim model is still working, for now.

http://helpwithps3.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

hey guys,

For the last few hours I have had problems logging in to Playstation Network.

I had no Problems until this morning and have been online gaming for the last few months with bad company/fifa etc.

Went in to the network settings and did the test, it states that the PS3 establsihes an internet connection/acquires an IP address no problem but fails on the next hurdle which is the PS Network.
    Tried gettting on to the Playstation store just there to see if i could log in that way. it is saying

'The service is not available in your Country/region'(never had this message before)

anybody ever come accross this at all?

EDIT: Got it sorted by reseting the wireless router.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭FrDougalMcguire

Hi all, My PS3 controller has stopped working wirelessly and now only works via USB. I have tried resetting the controller and restoring the PS3 to no avail. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭FrDougalMcguire

I think if you navigate through settings menu there is a setting to play DVC/CD on insertion automatically or something like that. Check that out maybe

• Advertisement

Hi all, My PS3 controller has stopped working wirelessly and now only works via USB. I have tried resetting the controller and restoring the PS3 to no avail. Any suggestions?

Most likely a problem with your controller I'd say

Advertisement