Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Hill/Mountain walks in Europe

Options
  • 18-04-2014 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

In the past two years we've been up Carrauntoohil, Lugnaquilla, Donard, Ben Nevis and Snowden.

Any advice on a good location in Europe for hill/mountain walking similar or better to the above? The misses has a big birthday coming up and I'd like to push the boat out.

I read some articles on Hallstatt in Austria and Crete but I'm not sure if they are more trekking than mountain walking. Mont Blanc looks great but it appears to be mountain climbing with ropes rather than hill walking.

We have a 6 year old that will come with us on holidays but not on the hill walks as she's too young. A good base with day excursions would be perfect (no overnight).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Comments

You may be confusing the best walks with the highest walks in each province or country.

In Kerry alone, there are dozens of walks that are far better than Carrauntoohil. The Eastern Reeks, Brandons, Dunkerrons etc. etc.

But if you're looking for the high points, here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest_points_of_European_countries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

There's literally thousands of amazing walks in Europe. Google long distance mountain walks and you should get some ideas.

The Italian Dolomites look particularly nice for a summer trek, and are on my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

There is one that hikes around Mount Blanc which is meant to be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There's so many, it's hard to say a Best.

Two things I'd say:
    Chamonix Mont Blanc
    Visit here, there's so many options from hard alpine routes to level walking trails in great scenic areas.
    One day out I'd highly reccommend is
    Telepherique up to the top of the Aiguille du Midi.
    Maybe bring crampons and amble out the ridge to the Vallee Blance a bit.
    If you don't bring crampons, head down to Le Plan du Midi, and go along the valley to the Mer du Glace, at Montenvers, about 9km

go down to the Glacier and return to Chamonix by the Montenvers train.
    The whole family can do this

Another day would be to down to Les Houches, get the cable car up to Bellevue, and the train up to le Nid d'Aigle
    Hike up to the refuge at Tete Rousse

You could be a bit more adventurous and go up to the refuge du Gouter. This has one serious section, where you have to cross the grand couloir- about 110m wide, and a rain of rocks falling as you cross.
    You can clip to a wire as you cross, if you've a harness, sling and karabner.

A last daytrip is in the Aiguilles Rouges, across the Chamonix valley, where the main attraction is the view of the Mont Blanc Massif

In the Pyrenees, in Catalunya, there is a sacred mountain Canigo, in the Pyrenees Orientales dept, about 60 km from Perpignan.
    On the 23 June thousands of Catalans climb overnight, so it's a fairly spiritual mountain, like the Reek or Triglav.
    It's about 2800m, and I think you can drive up to ~1500m

I'm sure in the Dolomites or in Austria, or even in Swiss, there are many fine mountain walks, I just haven't been there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

What are you going to do with your six year old when you're out walking? I'd have thought this would be a big consideration and limiting factor - you mightn't want to be going off too far etc. So hard to know, we've enjoyed a couple of visits to the Pyrenees, Lourdes - Gavarnie area and also Barege. But the problem with bigger mountains is that you have to put time into getting into them and then up them and so on.

I'd guess that if you can leave your child your child in some sort of supervised activity place, you'll still be looking for sort of half day hikes etc. Maybe some of the smaller ranges might well suit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Snowdonia in Wales is an amazing place, something for everyone from short hillwalks to full on mountaineering. climbing and a zip lines also. If you want to bring your own car its only a short drive from Hollyhead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Madeira? Has a network of irrigation trails called levadas which you can walk alongside, many cut dramatically into cliffs, others on more gentle terrain, stunning flowers and plants along the way

There is also a truly epic and very accessible walk between two high peaks, I think one was called pico rivo if you want to google it, which has to be one of the best walks in europe, one day return, marked the whole way, stunning views above the clouds at times

Regular package holidays from Ireland

Also Slovenia is great and beautiful

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

http://www.visitnorway.com/hiking-in-norway They'd be shocked if you left your child behind, very family friendly. Everything from endless forest and lakes to cathedral mountain trails,.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Tatras mountains in Northern Slovakia are amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

BarryD wrote: »
    What are you going to do with your six year old when you're out walking?

Good question. I'm planning on asking the mother in law to come to. I pay for flights and accomodation in exchange for a couple of days child minding :)

• Advertisement

Ah well, that's a pink horse of a different colour, as they say. Sounds like a good plan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carpejugulum

When do you want to go?

Do you have any preferences regarding altitude and climate?
    How long is the holiday going to be and how longs should the walks be?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

Snowdonia in Wales is an amazing place, something for everyone from short hillwalks to full on mountaineering. climbing and a zip lines also. If you want to bring your own car its only a short drive from Hollyhead

Going to Snowdonia this weekend on the ferry. :)

Have any of you tried the horse shoe route?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

TMB: Having done walks all over the world...this is an experience you cannot miss. It takes in some amazing high passes and has some of the best views of the Alps u are likely to get.

Just plan your trip in advance, as the mountain huts can be busy in summer!

Mad Benny wrote: »
    Going to Snowdonia this weekend on the ferry. :)

Have any of you tried the horse shoe route?

Which horseshoe route! If you mean Snowdon itself, Crib Goch etc. - yes it's fine but I dare say expect to use your elbows to ward off passing walkers this weekend. Assuming it's a holiday weekend also in UK and good weather - it'll be fairly busy.

Not exactly the same as a soggy wet day in Wicklow, that's for sure :)

Advertisement