Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Black or White Filling?

• 22-04-2014 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

If getting a filling in an upper biting surface, it's therefore most likely not going to be visible to anyone.

With this being the case, and leaving aside cost, would you get a black or white filling?

Taking into account safety (mercury in black filling) and durability.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Annjan

I would get a white filling. I hate my black fillings and my aim is to replace them all with white eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I didn't even know they did the old mercury fillings anymore. I wouldn't touch mercury fillings. It's a heavy metal that builds up in the blood over time. If they advise people not to eat tuna over their mercury content. You have to question the safety of mercury fillings.

But even from a visual view. Black fillings are horrible looking compared to white ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Dental Amalgam is perfectly safe, more than half a century of research has shown this. However there is a certain unfounded cohort of people that will not believe this.

White fillings last considerable less time, leak more, cost more, take longer and again some pesudoscience is available about some oestrogenic effects.

Silver fillings perform well especially in large fillings and back teeth. Are cheaper and less technique sensitive. They are however silver on colour.

If you want white think about ceramic inlays, onlays or crowns, if the filling is large.

Dentists often recommend silver fillings over white ones despite the fact that the white ones cost more, last for far less time. At the end of the day its a personal decision but you should be armed with all the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I had a half of one of my silver fillings (26 years old), that fell out, replaced with a white one. It lasted about a month before it fell out, and I had to go back and have a new silver filling put in. That was on one of the bottom main molar teeth though so it gets a lot of wear and tear.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

You'll find most dentists handle silver fillings daily, will have silver fillings themselves, & will happily place silver fillings for their family members.
    White fillings are held in place chemically, using an adhesive/"glue".
    Silver fillings are held in mechanically (like a Lego brick effect).
    Placed in the right conditions& under the right circumstances, both perform well, but in general, amalgam tends to be more durable& robust longterm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement